Monday morning couldn't guarantee

2 minute read time.

I honestly don't know why I don't just go and live in the Churchill. Well, I do know, it's a bit bleak and my house is much nicer, plus it's a bugger to get a bed. But for all the time I spend there, I might as well move in. I'm already due for chemo on the 15th, and on the 18th I have to go and see Naj (and tell him I think the fluid's back, which I don't imagine will amuse him); then, while I was asleep this afternoon, Judy took a phone call telling me to be there on the 19th for some kidney function tests, which will, apparently, take five hours, wtf!

Got up at the ungodly hour of 7.00 this morning (hah: I used to be at work for 7.30 am when our office was in Oxford; now I barely get out of bed at all) to go and see my GP. I like to drop in on her every now and then as a kind of living memento mori; if she'd been a bit more on the ball (she started out by trying to treat the fluid on my lungs with antibiotics which was, not surprisingly, unsuccessful), I wouldn't now be as ill as I am - or, at least, I'd be further along with my treatment. While the look on her face when she saw the "got cancer" letter from the Churchill was, admittedly, priceless, I would really rather have had an earlier diagnosis. Eh. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Anyway: today I had to give her my drugs list for re-upping - I've almost finished all those lovely painkillers the hospital gave me although, to my credit, I haven't even touched the morphine - and book a pre-chemo blood test, and also ask her if she could sign my hospital insurance claim. I have a highly amusing hospital insurance policy that I took out years and years ago, which pays me £30 for every full day I spend in hospital. I would have been better off stuffing the money under my mattress (or, better yet, putting it in a dedicated bank account), but it seemed like a good idea at the time and, once again, it's too late now. Anyway: she wasn't sure her signature would be acceptable - the form is hopelessly vague - and neither am I, so I have to phone up the insurers. But I was too tired today. Maybe tomorrow.

I got her to tap me on the back while I was there, on the grounds that she may as well make herself useful. She agreed that it sounds as if there's fluid on the left-hand lung, although she did it in a very cautious and qualified manner. I may have her scared. Do I want a scared doctor? Better than no doctor at all, I suppose, although I can't really complain about that, not when half the medical team at the Churchill seems to want a piece of me.

How nice to be wanted. Or is it?

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hope it's OK Hilary, i have sent you a private message and have had to find out how to look for it.  it's in the community home tab on top left hand corner, then click private message, you may already know this, so sorry if you do.

Jan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hilary, think in the dim and distant past I had to go for one of those kidney function tests. Can't remember much about it other than i had to go upstairs where they did something/gave me something then back downstairs to read/play nintendo/compare notes with other outpatients then back upstairs for a few minutes and that was it! A lot of time doing nothing I seem to remember :-(

Oh that morphine haze! My son came to see me in hospital and I was telling him to put down spider traps. i also remember on occasions talking to my hubby, then realising I was having a conversation to myself. Ha ha!

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dont worry Janbo youre reply was lighthearted and funny and im sure Hilary took it that way.Maybe you read her reply wrong.HUGS xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jan,

I don't want to answer for Hilary, but I do not interpret Hilary's response to you as in anyway being offended?

Blimey if anyone's going to be offending anyone it would be a plonker like me, or a loon like LM. And everything we write is all to raise a smile and to support and never to offend, just as I know you do.

By the way Hilary, I think you are one special person, writing the way you do with all you have had to put up with, and are putting up with. There are alot of special people on here, which is why I keep coming back on Macland.

Tight Lines

Tim

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hilary, I'm with you on GP's. Too many of them are inexperienced, and most of the rest seem to be burnt-out and past caring. I had both on my run-up to diagnosis (months). One old lag gave me a sick note (obviously thought I was swinging the lead) saying 'chesty' as the diagnosis. I saw him in the surgery last week and I was so close to punching him!

My other GP, who was lovely but very green, just took ages to do anything and I had to tell him to send me for a chest x-ray! Even then, it was 'fluid' for a couple of months!

Your life in their hands...

Hope you're ok today, Ann x