It's not just my baby that's gone down the plughole

2 minute read time.

EW EW EW THERE IS A DEAD RAT IN THE BATH - oh, no, wait. As you were. It's just ol' Burt again.

Useful Suggestions for hair loss have now expanded to include tea cosies. "A cat-shaped tea cosy," was the helpful addendum. You know what, we actually used to have one of those, but it didn't survive the last move. Ah, well. And then my friend Stuart posted a picture of his late wife wearing a tea cosy, so maybe it's not such a silly idea after all.

I have a young lady named Sam coming to the house on Monday to cut whatever hair she may be able to find by that time. She charges £20 for the service, and at this rate that'll work out at about £1 per hair, but never mind. I have put a buff on my Amazon wishlist, having first had to Google to find out what it was, and a friend has offered to bring me back a bandanna from Lanzarote - although I think the subliminal message there was 'Yay, I'm going to Lanzarote!', and who can blame her?

Okay, here is the Moral Story I was too tired to post yesterday -

Oh, wait: the Churchill has just phoned, their left hand, as usual, not knowing what their right is doing, wondering why I didn't have a post-chemo follow-up last time. (Answer: I did.) I'm glad Judy answered the phone, I really don't have the energy to deal with them. Mind you, it's a wonder she does, she's been working on the final revisions to her doctoral thesis all the time she's been running me backward and forward to hospital and generally being the all-round caregiver.

- Moral Story. Warning: this is the sort of thing that some people find inspiring, and makes other people want to throw up. I tend to fall into the latter camp. And yet, I share:

A woman looked into her mirror one day and saw that she had only three hairs left. (On her head, Little My, on her head, I cannot emphasise this strongly enough.) "Ah," she said, "today I shall wear my hair in a braid!"

The next day, when she looked, she had only two hairs. "Fine," she said, "I'll wear my hair in bunches."

On the third day, she had only one hair left, and so she wore it in a ponytail.

At last, she looked in the mirror, and found she was totally bald. "Hurrah!" she said. "Now I don't have to bother styling my hair any more!"

And the moral of this story - I told you there was one - is: attitude is everything. Although it might as easily be "whatever that woman was on, I want some of it."

I'll shut up about hair loss now. Maybe tomorrow I shall have Amusing Chemo Anecdotes, but, actually, I plan to sleep through as much of it as I can.

In the meantime: I do believe it's time for drugz. CODEINE, YAY!

... no, I don't think I have a problem. Well, okay, I might do, but I don't care.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hilary,

My dog is shedding his coat at the minute if you like I wll brush it up and send it to you. At least it will look real. The only thing is shes black and white.  Look after yourself.

Take care and be safe Big Rugs sorry I meant Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sarsfield, your comment actually made me LOL, just like it says on the internetz. Thank you for that!

LM: Of course your brother wore a pig-shaped tea cosy to your graduation. Being, after all, your brother. I fancy myself in a tiara - but I fear no-one else would. (No one does anyway, and just as well, I'm far too tired for that malarkey.)

Sunny: Alas, I should have replied to my comments sooner*, because I fear that now you'll never see this. I don't think I snored in chemo!

Cariad: short crop, if there's enough left by tomorrow! I'm kind of looking forward, in a weird way, to experimenting with scarves and wraps. New ones work out quite expensive, though. Time to hit the charity shops, of which Bicester has an abundance.

Gollybears: thank you so much for the link! I'll definitely get something from that site - they do some really nice stuff.

Love to everyone!

- Hilary

* This is probably familiar to at least some of you: I can blog; I can answer comments; I can comment on other posts; I can chat. I can't do all of them or, some days, more than one, and then blogging usually wins out, as I'm trying to keep a record for myself. I'm sorry if that makes it look as if I'm rude or unappreciative - I hope that I'm not.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You never look rude or unappreciative my dear. None of us can keep up with everything... and we don't expect replies to comments etc we just like to comment when we can to show we are there and caring. If you reply and then we feel obliged to reply so you do... none of us would ever get our chemo or shopping or dinner or a drink of water or anything and then there would be no site. Well, there would be a site, but no one on it... cos we would be pushing up the daisies.

when I met Ems in the real, being brung up proper (somehow) I thought I had to take her a present, so I went to the charity shop cos you don't want to get expensive presents and make them feel bad do you... (told you, brung up proper) and I bought her a plastic tiara cos she had just shaved her hair off. I will get you one too if you would like one... and who cares whether it makes anyone fancy you or not, if it makes you smile then go for it. Mind you, I reckon if you go to your charity shops, they might have real tiaras in there... sounds a bit posh your place. And it has fake stone circles ooooh!

And yes, of course of my brother wore a pig tea cosy and of course I don't need to explain to you. Made the graduation photos a bit more amusing...

Big hug to you xxx

ps I don't expect a reply! x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

LM, ceci n'est pas un reply; just, I don't know if you can see it from this, but here is the fake stone circle:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=bicester+map+talisman&gs_upl=3082489l3086348l0l3086893l21l16l0l4l4l1l444l5041l0.1.4.6.4l19l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=4NWaTvrzGoO78gO1zNnUBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CBQQ_AUoAg

- just inside the hedge beyond what appears to be a yin/yang roundabout!

It's all around a area called Talisman this, that and the other. Maybe the fake stone circle is the talisman? Or would that make actual sense and thus be incomprehensible to town planners?

Bicester has aspirations to be posh, but ... doesn't quite get there.