Being bored

1 minute read time.

My dear mamma used to tell me that only boring people were bored. This is a painful thought; I must be positively stultifying, because, as things stand at present, I am pretty much climbing the walls - or I would be, if the walls in our house weren't made of cardboard, or close enough, and probably wouldn't take my weight. I'm thinking of poking out my own eyes just for the sake of something to do.

I still can't walk very far, and I hate having to depend on Judy to ferry me around. And people have stopped coming to visit, the novelty, presumably, having worn off. I can't say I blame them; since I never go anywhere or do anything, I have nothing to talk about. Hence: boring.

What can I do? Cook? I'm just not that enthusiastic about food at the moment. Garden? The garden is Judy's domain, plus the last bit of garden work I did knocked me out for several days afterward. The same goes for housework: I try and keep up with what really needs doing, but it's knackering. I did sew a button on a jacket the other day. I damn near broke out the flags and bunting to celebrate that achievement. Retail therapy is out of the question, as there's no money coming in - which is depressing enough all by itself. As for games ... I swear, when I come out the other side of this, assuming I do, I shall never want to play another game again.

About the only thing I have been doing is reading, and then writing snarky reviews of better writers than I am. (Here if you were wondering, which I doubt you were.) 

And just about everything is depressing: the news, the weather. The fact that the most excitement I'm likely to have in the near future is major surgery, which will then involve a long and grim-sounding recovery ...

It's being so cheerful as keeps me going. But, honestly, I think I'm about to grind to a complete .

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Tim,

I was trying to think of something useful to type to hils and you've just made me chuckle lots with the rubber ball and rice stuff :))))))))))).

What do you reckon Hilary?  How big can you make a rubber ball eh? And I once bought a necklace on hols abroard that a man inscribed my name on.  How amazing is that?  My name on a piece of rice!

Can't think of any suggestions i'm sorry, so can only offer a hug instead ((HUG)).

Takce care

Jan xxxxxxxxx

• Hils I wish I could magic you away in my magic bin or maybe you could write a children's story about the adventures of the magic bin.Tims suggestion of rubber band balls is something we used to do when we were bored at work on nights but wouldn't recommend it unless you have plenty of rubber bands.im sorry I don't have any usefull suggestions wish I had sending more hugs Cruton xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Rubber band balls also brought to mind paper clip necklaces, and painting flat stones. I know you said you aren't artistic but have you thought of painting by numbers??? You could learn Latin declensions...would also help if you have insomnia....Amo, amas, amat.......

Ooh that book just gave me a headache. Reflexes aren't what they were!

Just made myself jump when my hearing aid bleeped to tell me I need to change my batteries.....Oh that the rest of our bodies could improve by having a new battery, or perhaps being charged up!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Hils,

Trust me to come in late when all the best suggestions have gone. I sympathise Hils, but all my cures for boredom involve physical activity.

I like writing as you obviously do, but I find you need a break from it or that can become boring too. Tv is mostly uninspiring.

Fishing seems to be a very relaxing hobby. Fishermen get their favourite spot on the riveerbank, set up their rods and then go to sleep. They've even got alarms on their rods for when the fish bite. All that's needed is an electric motor to reel in the fish when the alarm goes off and they won't need to wake up til hometime.

I hope you get some answers from the hospital soon, because that is what you really need.

Meantime, I can only offer you some more hugs,

Odin xxx