Car Parking- Your Experience

1 minute read time.

I’m Jess and I am the Campaigns Intern at Macmillan. I joined the team about a month ago and I have been learning all about the different campaigns that Macmillan have; in particular Welfare Reform, Fuel Poverty and Hospital Car Parking.

One of my projects since I started has been to gather information on car parking charges at every hospital in England- about 300 hospitals which is taking a good amount of time! In my research I have found some great examples of where hospitals have listened to their patients and removed car parking charges for cancer patients and their carers. Unfortunately, I have also heard some tough situations where patients are facing high charges with no concessions.

Have you had a good or bad experience with hospital car parking? If so then get in touch, as all the information will help us to campaign more effectively to help eliminate car parking charges for patients affected by cancer.

If you don’t park at the hospital, how do you get there? Do you take public transport? Again we would love to hear your thoughts on the issue.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm seen at Clatterbridge Centre for Oncology on the Wirral, which has it's own free carpark.  I also attend the dermatology units at Clatterbridge and Arrowe Park hospitals where parking is £2.00 per visit.  The charges might seem reasonable, but they definitely rack up if you're visiting long term patients!

Marsha x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I attend St James in Leeds no parking charges for cancer patients

• I attended Durham and if your chemo lasts 3 hrs or longer then you get a ticket from the ward which means you only pay £1 for you stay no matter how long. Otherwise its a minimum charge of £2.50 for first 2 hrs.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I also attend St James Hospital, Leeds. I am lucky enough not to have had to receive chemo or radiotherapy up to now but I have had to attend my 3 monthly melanoma check up appointments & many scans & investigative procedures over the last 2 years & these have racked up the parking bill as they are not covered. St James has a good reasonably priced multi storey car park but it would be good if several visits for short term appointments could be included in the free parking for cancer patients.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

had to take hubby for pet scan central london £10 congestion and £25 carpark if we wer 5 mins later it would have been £30.00- bupa clinic