I have started, so I will continue ...

2 minute read time.

I have started, so I will continue ...

From my perspective, there is only one great basic certainty about oesophageal cancer: food is life.  If my husband can't eat, he will starve.  

For fellow carers, and those who have eating problems due to cancer, I hope your experience of dieticians has been better than ours.  I seem to remember the only advice we were given was aimed at all cancer patients who were going through chemo, and that advice was only given when we asked to see a dietician.  I don't know, call me naive, but I would have thought a dietician had valuable expertise for someone who has oesophageal cancer?  Apparently not.  And there are some hightly questionable things that are recommended in the standard advice for cancer patients - but that is another story.  

So what can you do for someone who is constantly losing weight, who is so hungry that even the brussel sprouts and pigs' trotters in some Sunday newspaper supplement look appetising, but who can hardly swallow anything?

This takes us back to the chicken broth: get your pens ready:

You need:

• The biggest saucepan you can find 
  • The most expensive, well-reared, happy chicken.  Don't skimp on quality   - the better the bird, the more nutrition there will be.  
  • 2 leeks
  • 2 onions
  • 2 carrots
  • A few sticks of celery
  • A couple of bay leaves and/or mixed herbs
  • 1 red pepper
  • Any other old root vegetable/ bit of fresh cabbage or both
  • A few whole peppercorns.
  • A little salt - you can add more later.

Method:

Take the breasts of the chicken off - you need to eat something!

Very roughly chop the vegetables - you won't be eating them so being tidy is not an issue.  Pop the chicken into the pot, roughly chopped vegetables, herbs and peppercorns.   Cover with water - you should need several pints.  I add a very little olive oil - it gives texture.  Pop in a generous pinch of salt - you can add later. 

Simmer (not boil - put in the oven if that is best for you) until the chicken is falling off the bone.   If you find it tasteless, add a vegetable stock cube.   If it is too strong, add a little more water.  If the vegetables aren't cooked, keep cooking!

Or ask the patient to taste - you can then season/dilute accordingly.

Strain off the broth - throw out the bones and old vegetables.

For those who can eat solids, a good idea is to shred (tiny pieces)  one of the chicken breasts very finely and then pop it into some of the broth with a little basmati rice/finely chopped whatever.  Simmer for about fifteen minutes. 

In the meantime, cook the remaining chicken breast for yourself ( and no, I am not telling you how to do that). 

There should be enough basic broth/stock for you to simply re-heat or add to for several meals.  Obviously, your must store it in the fridge and take care that you always boil stock/broth for at least five minutes when you are re-heating it - kill all the bacteria.  

Phew! Such a simple thing, but such a long recipe.  Yes, to you cooks out there, this is just a basic chicken stock.  But how many make real stock these days? (How many care ...?) 

Dear, oh, dear.  That all took more explaining than I thought.  If anybody got this far, bravo.  I barely managed it myself.  

Back to the 'teach-yourself' Italian.  I am hoping to get to the future tense ... perhaps tomorrow ...

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Crystal - it is done!

Minerva - you should find the discussion started on the oesophageal (gullet) forum.  I thought your idea of using the dietician's shakes as a base for your smoothies was particularly brilliant - so simple.  My husband can't stand the things either - don't blame him.  Have you tasted them?  Disgusting!  I am sure that all contributions will be welcome.    Thanks again.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

woops - a sentence went rather pear-shaped there.  Sorry!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

i don't have the same cancer but my brain tumr causes swallowing difficulties. i use 'thick and easy' prescibed by the doctor in tea and other drinks. this is a thickening powder -looks like dried milk.at first i couln't stand the idea of thick tea but i find black tea is ok. also squash is ok but fizzy drinks not. you can also get it as a made up drink. but you just have to experiment. also in summer i drink v8 vegetable juice - its mainly tomato - if i want a change from sweet drinks.

as for dieticians- i am sure you can find out more for yourself. if you need extra calories go for high fat options on everything and butter and peanut butter are useful' oh and bananas and chocolate.

hope some of this helps.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Bmalius - thank you so much for that.  Any advice is good.  I do hope you have had a good day.  What a so-and-so this disease is.  Imagine whatever expletive you like to put in there.  

The very best wishes to you, Grace.