A Blog For Carers: The Uninvited Guest

1 minute read time.

Hello, my faithful readers. I know there are one or two of you.   Are you there?  Are you awake?   

Here is Buzzie's thought for the day - I would like to see if it strikes a chord with other carers ...

Do you remember me saying that my husband and I had entered into the parallel universe which I think of as the ‘cancer world’.  Until recently I assumed we had entered this world together.  In a sense we had – this disease affects us both.  But in another sense we entered into this world through completely different doorways. 

I had thought we were journeying together through this parallel universe but in a very obvious sense we are not and can not.  In fact, there is a yawning gap between our experiences and it is one we have not been able to talk about.

So I am going to try another metaphor.

In our house we are finding ourselves having to live with an invisible and very unwelcome guest, a guest who is with us all the time, hovering over everything that we do and who, like all uninvited guests, is particularly present at mealtimes. 

I have been scouring the world for almost a year to find the ultimate weapon which will send this guest into oblivion:  shiny weapons devised by the clever people in white coats, and subtle potions from the purveyors of miracle cures which promise to attack this guest from within. 

And as I witter on about some rare nut oil from the Amazonian rain forests that is the latest miracle cure, and stir a little more turmeric in the soup, and blend the raspberries into the smoothies and remind him to take his tinctures that come all the way from China, I realize that I am on the sidelines- the real struggle is playing out between this uninvited guest and my husband.  And he is not talking about this battle, and I feel hopelessly ill-equipped to help.  

But I can, at least, take the dogs for a walk in the rain.  Just as well I have recently bought  some shockingly unglamorous weather-proof gear for just such an eventuality.

Walking the dogs in wet weather, like unblocking drains, had always been my husband's job ... 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you all for your lovely comments.

And, dear Maureen, I know exactly that feeling of having 'no place' to 'park' the anxiety.  My husband is also convinced he is the 5% too!

Debs and Crystal - you have both helped me so much with your calm and bravery  - thank you.  

Joules - I am glad it hit the right note.  I was fumbling a bit .. Love to you all, Grace.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Buzzie,

I do so know how you feel.  My husband G is also convinced he will have a good outcome.  He has been positive from day one that he will fight his Mesothelioma with everything he has.  All I can do is support him as best I can. When he heard of an innovatory chemo treatment available at the University of Frankfurt, he signed up, even though the cost will sadly deplete our savings.  Since August, we have been flying over once a month. On Thursday he was told that the tumour is biologically dead, and is unlikely grow again, although a second may eventually grow elsewhere in the lung.   So, now, we can look forward to the family Christmas that a year ago we never expected.  I don’t expect that G will ever realise how hard this last year has been for me, but in my heart I know that I have given him all the support I could, from my side of the parallel universe, and I try to be content with that.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ladybug - You wrote:

"The problem i have is with other people who i know mean well but that just havent got a clue,but then thats another story!"

What did you mean by this? I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be able to relate!

Love to you all.  Mo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Buzz, your feelings are exactly what I experienced, your endeavours so similar to my own. Including the rasperries.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ladybug - thank you for your comment too.    Maureen needs an answer.  Give it a go!  

And pusspins - I am still at the raspberries!