Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Shelagh

That made me feel better I feel as though I complain about  something else every day. Bert is not a complainer even when he is well and does not like to "bother the nurses" even if he is in pain or needs something to calm him down when he is agitated. He was a little better today slept all afternoon but that was ok I had a good book with me. Every now and then he would open his eyes to make sure I was still there. I am not afraid to ask questions just not sure what to ask

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today we got Bert's diet sorted his nicotine patches sorted and he looks well. even though he is not sleeping at night. It was good to see  him almost back to his old self again only 4 more days of chemo left. He ate his dinner and enjoyed it. That in itself has made me feel so much better. A little complaining made a huge difference.

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bert was extremely upset today, as he obviously had a bad day. He has trouble with his PICC line and  had to go to xray to have some dye put the through to make sure everything was ok,  then  they had to put a venflon in to give the PICC line a rest I think the stress of it all is getting too much for him and I have asked for something to keep him calm and for it to be given on a regular basis. We shall see what the consultant thinks. It really upsets me to leave him there when he is so distressed but what can I do I would much rather he was home also.

He still is not sleeping at night which I know wont help  and he gets his second lot of chemo at around 11.30pm so does not relax until that is over also gets his antibiotics at that time too.

just given him a ring and he sounds a little calmer so hopefully he will sleep

goodnight

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ask the doc if Bert can have a little sniffter of something or other. When I was incarcerated, I had a little fridge (I know - on the nasty health and all! How lucky was I?) and in it was some edible food (the hospital stuff is enough to finish a person off), a nice cold bottle of white wine and some coke to go with my bacardi. It certainly helped me to relax. He's bound to be up-tight if he's giving up the ciggies as well. Are nicotine patches a good idea I wonder? They keep the craving for nicotine in your system. When I gave up, I went cold turkey and haven't had a relapse (about 8 years I think). But then again, maybe he's got enough to put up with at the minute.

Another thing offered at my hospital was reflexology and relaxing aromatherapy massage. Ask about that. You might have to pay for it but worth it I should think. If you can't get it at the hospital, ask if you can bring somebody in to do it, if you can afford it. Or you could just gently massage his feet and ankles with a little aromathearpy oil. Ask at your health food shop about the right stuff to use. You want something mild and gentle.

And chocolate is said to be relaxing. Any excuse - have some yourself.

Best of luck, Shelagh

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

He were we are on day 10 chemo has finished for this cycle. Already he has had a throat infection and blood transfusion.  Now he needs some platelets His anxiety levels are through the roof so we have a psych team coming to see him to try and control some of this anxiety. He is also covered in a rash all over his arms and legs don't know what to expect next but I am sure we will cope with whatever comes at us next 10 days ago we never thought he would get through the 1st cycle.

Love Teri