Please Read: Anna Johns

1 minute read time.

Hello all,

It has come to our attention that a community member going by the name of Anna Johns is in fact a girl named Abbie who fabricated her story. Anna Johns has now been removed from the site.

She has posted a message to a Facebook group accusing her of being a fake to confirm this:

I am so sorry to those of you who have spent time talking to, supporting and crying for Anna and her family.

Personally I was taken in by this story too. But I would always rather be tricked because I am too trusting, than fail to support someone who genuinely needs it because I am not trusting enough.

***I would like to take this opportunity to remind you all NEVER to share personal details, send money or swap Facebook account details. I would suggest that you never even tell people your real name.***

The person who has done this deserves our sympathy. Munchausen's by internet is a recognised condition and I hope that Abbie gets the help she needs. You may find this article in the Guardian helpful to explain a little about the thinking behind something like this.

We take your security very seriously on this site, but there is very little that we could put in place to prevent someone who is determined enough to create an entire false life from joining the site. You can protect yourselves by not sharing your contact details, however sure you are that someone is real and needs your help.

You can offer plenty of support via the Community site, and also remain totally safe and secure.

Once again, I understand how much sadness, disappointment and anger there will be around this, but please do not let it distract you from the main purpose of the site which is supporting each other. You all do such a fantastic job and it would be so sad if something like this managed to ruin that.

Best,

Rebecca.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I haven't been on the site for a few weeks and had a quiet half hour so thought I would come and have a look at the latest blogs.

The kindness of the comments above in response to the news about a fake member reminded me (not that I needed it) of what a great site and support network this is. Long may that continue.

I hope this person gets the help and support she needs.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend

Hugs to all

xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Rebecca,

I agree with you 100%. Bad as this has been it will never change me from supporting those on this site who need it. I hope the girl gets treatment for her illness. What we should keep in mind it could happen to any one of us. Thanks Rebecca for letting us know. You must hurt just like the rest of us.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think you are right Sol, i do hope so because a 15 year old with such knowledge can only turn into an adult capable of major deceptions.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mary,

The little girl in the photos is Abbie, (the person who created this story) when she was younger. She used a photo manipulation program to make it appear that she has no hair.

No images have been stolen and she was not really ill.

Thanks,

Rebecca.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mary,

Please read the earlier entry. The suggestion is the person playing the part of both 'Anna' and 'Charly' way the same person, Abbie Phillips, the photographs were also of her at various ages, hence the old fashioned clothing on 'Charly' All of the photo's were doctored using Photo Shop with characters being deleted and others substituted. There never was a Charly and the picture used was Abbie, not another sick child. She has admitted to the fraud.

Hugs John xx