8 months after losing my mum

3 minute read time.

Hello, I am Joe. I am 17 years old and was 16 when I lost my mum to cancer after her long battle. This is my first time ever writing about my experience and my relationship with my mum so I am a little nervous and may be quite upset whilst writing this. I feel I want to share my emotions as I’m not a very open person with dealing with my loss. I hope this can help me.

Me and my mum were so well connected as she was my best friend as well. I’ve always had a really special connection with her as I’ve spent my entire life laughing with her, talking with her and just being with her whilst she was looking after me. About two years ago was when she was diagnosed again with cancer and when I realised I needed to look after her. And to be honest it didn’t bother me in any way, I never rejected or moaned as I knew she’d been so amazing looking after me all these years. And in a way it made us even closer as I spent more time with her being my best friend. Every night for two years at 9:00 she’d be in bed, I would put an episode of Lost or Big Bang Theory or many more (we got through a lot of different series) and I’d rub her back for an hour or two. My mum would love it as it released so much stress from her, and I really just liked hanging out with her. In the day time I would sit with her as well. Later in to her illness she had a medical bed in the dining room for her as it would be trouble climbing the stairs, but I’d always be in there with her, or poking my head round the door to see how she was. We shared so many laughs and talked about so much, I’m surprised she never got annoyed by the amount of random shit I would talk about but we were so in tune that any conversation was a good one. I’ve never met anyone like that before.

Since she’s been gone, for 8 months I’ve spent most of my time alone in my bed, completely drained of motivation or anything positive. Whatever I think about always just ends up me reminiscing about my mum and me, or just feeling upset. She was such an important part of my life and now it feels like my life is half empty. I very often get bad pains in my heart and chest as well as it feels my heart is pounding and contracting. I do rely on my best friend my age to keep me company and happy, she’s been very good to me. And although i’m always apologising for being upset and having to come to her, she feels the way I did when looking after my mum, she’s always happy to do it. 

Having a very close family helps a lot too, as me, my dad and my sister are very close, share a lot and do a lot of things together. My mum and dads sides of the family are all very close as well, so even though we’re all going through such a terrible time together, we’re all talking to each other and helping one another. A lot of people loved my mum. She’d do anything for anyone, always visiting them if they were in hospital, she’d cook buffets and cakes for them, and always organised events just to go out with them. She really touched us all so massively.

Now I’m not sure if anyones read this and I don’t mind, this was just a nice way for me to get things off my chest as I’m not a very open person when talking about my mum. I often try to not bother people and keep emotions to myself which I know is bad. I’m really just looking for advice though or someone professional to talk to as I feel a completely different person since my mum died, a person who is so unmotivated and unsociable. However thank you for reading this, I hope that I can help you in the future once I’ve helped myself. Shit things happen to good people.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    You need to give yourself time to grieve and there is no time scale for this. You have some lovely memories and this will be what will guide you into becoming a a caring adult. My thoughts are with you x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Joe, You are amazing. Your mum was so,so lucky to have you, you had a wonderful relationship and created fantastic memories together. Yours to keep and your mums to take with her.... She would have been so proud of you and so sad to have to leave you, but there will always be a part of her with you, in your heart and in your mind so she will never leave you really, think of her and she'll be there.... Carry on growing up into the brilliant guy your mum made, that's the one gift you can still give her Joe. Take care, have a great life, Big hugs, Caroline x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Joe Firstly I am so sorry to hear that you have had to experience the loss of a loved one to this horrible disease, and at such a young age. You are clearly a very special person, and I am sure that your mother will be very proud of you. The fact that you have your friend and family to talk to, and also the fact that you are talking about your feelings on this blog are good things. Every person grieves the loss of a loved one in a different way, but it seems to me that you are starting to move on. If you live in the UK, go and see your doctor, they might be able to refer you to someone. Alternatively I have found these forums and blogs have been a great help to me, as you are talking with people who know what you are going through. (Having said that, this is the first time I have posted a comment., but reading and relating to other people's experiences have been a great comfort to me, and helped me so much.) Joe, you are much wiser than your years, and be proud of the time you cared for your mum, also remember all the good times with a smile, or a tear, but most of all be strong. Like Angelminx said please re-post in the future and let us know how you getting on. Kind regards Cod father.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. Family does help but there are times as it sounds with you when you are just overcome with grief. My mum died 10 years ago and there are times when I could still cry. Over time the pain and heartache have become less. My father has terminal cancer and I am just so demotivated after seeing him. I am seeking professional help as I know if I dont it will just get worse. I cannot eat, sleep or concentrate on much at the moment and just feel like my world has fallen apart. I have lots of family who have been supportive but know I cannot burden them much longer with my emotions as it's wearing them down. When I am with dad I feel happy and complete. I have a partner and young child and feel terrible that I feel this way as they need me. Sometimes you need to take time out and let the feelings out. I hope through time that your pain becomes less and that you feel able to move forward. Life will not be the same but it will become easier.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

<p>I have only now thankfully found this site....finally a way in which I can offload without burdening my family...I lost my Mum to lung cancer in 2013...I miss her smell, voice and laugh...I text her often and read the text messages between us all the time...I am feeling very low at the moment and the one person I need is not here.   Yes time heals...they say it is supposed to get easier....I would say that we just need to find a way of living without a loved one....will that be possible...I honestly cannot answer that and it hurts as much no matter what age you are when you lose the person who taught you right from wrong was an ear that listened at time of need and a huge shoulder of support whilst growing up..yes we had our differences we had our fall outs and arguments, mostly because we were so much alike I think......we lost touch for a number of years but thankfully I was able to be with her until the end....I miss her so much</p>