The little ‘orange’ number link to new posts/groups.

Hi Admin,

I’ve missed some of the notifications since the little orange pop up numbers don’t always seem to work. I monitor a couple of extra groups apart from posting a lot in the breast cancer group, and often miss new posts unless I go and check. 
They often don’t take me to the right place in the thread, I then have to find it, so lots of scrolling. 
Then when I’ve done they don’t disappear always either!

please sort if possible! (Thanks, Steph, that link now worked!) 

• Hi moomy, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us, it's Eliza from the Community team.

We've been made aware of an issue with notifications on the site, where the number doesn't always match up to the list of unread notifications displayed and don't always take members to the right place in the thread. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this, as I can appreciate it must be frustrating to miss new posts. These are issues we're currently trying to find the best way to capture to help our tech team find the best solution.

I wonder if you could tell me what internet browser and device you've been using when you've noticed problems with your notifications? 

If you find you're only missing notifications for one or two groups in particular, it could be useful to double check your settings. You can check that you have your live alerts turned on for groups you're part of by clicking on your profile picture in the top right, then clicking on "Settings", and then "Notifications" on the right. "Live alerts" is just the site's name for the notifications you see on the site. 

It's really helpful that you've taken the time to share this with us, moomy. The more knowledge we have around a particular issue, the faster our tech team are able to work towards a solution. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know either here or at community@macmillan.org.uk if there's anything further we can help with, or if you have any questions. 

Best wishes,

Eliza

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team
  • I use iPhone SE with Safari, or MacBook Pro also with Safari.

Moomy

• Hi moomy, 

Thank you for letting us know, as this information is really useful for our tech team when we're looking into technical issues. 

I'm sorry, again, that you're experiencing trouble with your notifications. Please rest assured we're in the process of investigating this. If there's any further details you'd like to add about this issue, or if you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best wishes,

Eliza

Eliza
    Macmillan Community Team
  • Hi

Sorry to have to trouble you for more information, but please would you let us know specifically which groups you're missing notifications for? 

Many thanks,

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • In frustration I’ve reduced my groups to 4 in desperation! 

Moomy

• Hi

Thanks for letting me know. You'll only receive notifications for those groups you're 'subscribed to' - ie a member of. 

If you choose to subscribe to more groups and you're not seeing them all when you're on your 'groups page', you might try scrolling right to the bottom of the page to make sure all your content loads. 

Sometimes it can look as if you only have some of your groups or friends on your profile, but it's just that not all the information loads until you've opened up the whole page. I understand it's not obvious, but hopefully this will help.

You might also prefer to use bookmarks to save groups or threads you're currently following. When you’ve found something you want to save, look for the bookmark options. On the desktop version of the site, you’ll see these towards the right-hand-side of your screen when you’re viewing a group or thread. If you’re on a mobile, you’ll find them just above the group content.

You’ll see options to ‘bookmark’ the specific thread or the overall group (forum).

When you’ve added some bookmarks, you can find them every time you’re logged in by clicking on the ‘bookmark’ icon at the top of your screen. On a mobile, you’ll need to click the arrow at the top right of your screen to show the bookmark icon which looks like this:

I hope this helps you keep track of your activity across the site.

Take care,

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • Another problem is emerging. When I ‘reply’ to a post I’ve written, why does it include the previous post in my ‘reply’ before I type?????

Sooooo frustrating! 

Moomy

• Hi

Thank you so much for your question. Oh no, that doesn't sound good. I've not seen that happen before.

I am going to see if I can replicate this from here, but if you were able to send over a screenshot showing that happening, then that would be really helpful. 

Thank you so much for continuing to report these issues. As soon as we can capture this error, we'll make sure it's logged for tech to take a look at. 

Thanks again and please do let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Best wishes,

Steph
    Online Community Officer
  • I’ve only noticed it a couple of times and will try to get a screenshot if it does it again!

Moomy

• Trying to make it happen now!

Moomy