We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Replacing female hormones, naturally

nightingale19
Posted by

(I was sure I posted this topic here late yesterday but cannot find it now in the forum. If the original got stuck somewhere and pops up after I have posted this, apologies)

I had a hysterectomy (full works) last November and vaginal brachytherapy in January. Recently .I have been getting what feels like small hot flushes which makes no sense as my menopause was years ago.  Also if looks like my hair is getting thinner. I am  starting to wonder if I still had some residual female hormone working before my treatment. I was not given any advice on diet or treatment after my operation - the medical care was excellent but that was it, you were just hustled out onto the pavement as soon as possible. And if, like me your cancer was considered removed,  you were  discharged by the surgical team.

brachytherapy is an "insurance policy" because I had Grade 3 clear cell cancer.I do not somehow see my oncologist giving me diet and life style advice. I was  in  and  out in five minutes at my check up in March.  I have been wonderinghave been wondering  if some natural menopause remedies  might help here. Does anyone have suggestions?  (My CNS is as overworked and hard to contact as many others so thought I would see if anyone here had any advice.

Jagger46
Posted by

It might be worth getting your thyroid levels measured, as !ow thyroxine levels can cause hot flushes and hair loss.

Take care xxx

Lass
Posted by

Heya, 

Lots of people aren't aware, but even after the menopause your ovaries are still producing a little bit of oestrogen and sending it out into your body. 

So even women who have been through the menopause, when they then have a full hysterectomy, sometimes end up going through a second mini menopause.

I wouldn't recommend taking anything off the shelf though, not without talking to someone first. Do you have an email address for your CNS? I know we are all programmed to try and be of little trouble as possible, and to think our issues aren't as important as others. But definitely get in touch with your team and ask the question if you can. 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

nightingale19
Posted by

Well I will try but I do not hold out much hope. I am effectively regarded as treated and case  there closed  unless there is a recurrence. I  not feel that anyone in the team has a lot of time to invest in me.  Understandably.  Certainly I was hustled out by the oncologist in 5 minutes in my last visit.  It is a bit disappointing but there is really no follow up for things like my current problem. No leaflets nothing and with all the people now anxious about delayed treatment and delayed operations I cannot see my query being regarded as very important. I only wanted to know if anyone had used something herbal, like Menopace or something similar I am not looking  for HRT.

NannyAnny
Posted by

Hi Nightingale,

Jagger mentioned thyroid and I think she may have a point!! Just before I was diagnosed with womb cancer, I realise now my hair went straight (usually curly, and has a mind of its own). I just thought it was getting older! However at my yearly check up they discovered my thyroid wasn't working very well and put me on Thyroxine, which is replacement hormone. It took a few months but my hair really 'perked up'. Its back to its curly self! I did read that a hairdresser often picks up thyroid problems, and that the tablets have a cumulative effect.

It could be worth getting the thyroid checked out. Maybe start with your GP?   xxxxxxx

nightingale19
Posted by

Thanks for tip.  My GP has three week wait at best of times and surgery is closed at present so no immediate help there. 

nightingale19
Posted by

I have been online to send query to my CNS and under that the hub, contact number  which you normally use to get a message to them, it says they are not taking medical or non urgent queries at present. If emergency you can phone special number but I hardly think I count as that .

NannyAnny
Posted by

Surely they must have a telephone line you can contact? I must admit I tried ringing ours the other day as I thought they were trying to contact us (they were). I was put in a queue according to what I wanted. Although it said I was first in the queue, after waiting 5 minutes I gave up!! I think I would have persevered longer if I thought the matter was urgent.

And my daughter needed a doctor last Friday. She was given a prescription over the phone. I do wish things like this would get back to normal soon. Its all very well politicians standing there telling you to get help if needed. I wonder if they have had to try?  XXXXXX

nightingale19
Posted by

Maybe I will treat myself to a private Well Woman check up.  

papermoon
Posted by

when i had a recurrence last summer of grade 2 stage 3 i asked my consultant  how could that be when im now so thin and cant be making any estrogen without my ovaries. he said my body was still producibg a bit and tamoxifen was discussed as hormone treatment. however my oncologist said there wasnt enough evidence for endometrial cancer. 

Little lamb
Posted by

When I had my hysterectomy I went through a second menopause as well with hot flushes which I was surprised about. However reading Lass post earlier I now know the reason why! Anyway, being a short, bulky rotund Lamb I was worried about my extra oestrogen that my insulation kindly manufactured for me so I asked my practice nurse to refer me to the dietician(but long waiting list!) However having received an appointment, along came a shedload of personal problems and as much as I wanted to I could not even  contemplate dieting at that time. I've now got six months weight loss to achieve in two months otherwise I think I will be booted out by the dietician. It may be worth getting a blood test for your thyroid function but if that's not the problem ask the doctor to refer you to a dietician. They are really helpful..I don't know if Macmillan have one household ask advice from..may be worth a look? Anyway take care Nightingale. God bless love Lamb.xx

Little lamb
Posted by

Dunno how household got in there..meant to read "on the forum"!

LittleRunner
Posted by

Hello Nightingale.  Is there a menopause clinic in your area?  Could you contact your GP (phone or letter, explaining history and symptoms) and ask about a menopause clinic?

nightingale19
Posted by

Not aware of a menopause clinic locally. My GP was not at all sympathetic first time around doubt she will be now. In any case they are only handling emergencies at present. But thanks for tip.  Maybe I can get private check up and advice.