We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus.
Here is the
We will update it regularly.
Hi everyone, hope you’re all hanging in there during this crazy time with Corona effecting appointments & treatment. It must be a very difficult time for everyone. I was just about to go for my hysteroscopy when Corona hit. I’d been having symptoms since last November and eventually got referred for the procedure after thickening of my womb lining was noticed on a scan. I went for my pre-op and then the procedure was cancelled due to Co-vid. Because I have no diagnosis, I am caught in limbo, waiting for them to re-start appointments at my local hospital. I’ve been bleeding heavily again & passing clots for the last few days. I’ve also been constipated recently and wondered if that could be associated? I spoke to my consultant’s PA today who said I’ll be called up whenever they start again, she couldn’t give a date but said possibly 6 weeks time. I didn’t speak to her about my worsening symptoms but wondered if I should call my GP to discuss it in case there is any way of being bumped up the front of the list at least or that they may have another hospital doing procedures. I’m devastated Corona has delayed my investigations and just hope that if there is any cancer there, that the delay won’t cause issues. I’m going to be looking at a 4 month delay at least due to covid. It’s so hard not to worry when you have bad symptoms that are so noticeable, you can’t help but think about it. Any words of wisdom or advice, much appreciated! X
I think if it were me I would ring the GP. Before I was diagnosed my GP asked another doctor if he should fast, fast track me, so it can be done normally. (She didn't think it was necessary) The news keeps saying they are getting back to treating people for other things. xxx
I spent a really anxious night tossing and turning so I’ve requested a callback from my GP today. I’m thinking about going privately for the hysteroscopy as I’m so worried that the delay may be the difference between having to have surgery or not if it does turn out to be cancer. I’ve already waited 6 months for this and before that I’ve had increasingly painful heavy periods for 2-3 years. I’m not sure what the implications are for going privately for the procedure but I’m going to see what my doctor thinks. Xxx
Sorry to hear about the issues you're having.
Sounds to me like your GP didn't refer you properly in the first place. You should have been referred under the 2 week, possible cancer, route and had your hysteroscopy within those two weeks. Not been waiting for 6 months!
One thing you could ask your GP about, is if you could start taking provera. It's a drug they use to reduce the thickness of the womb lining, and also to suppress early cancer - it's how they got rid of mine. A number of ladies here have been put on it, or the Mirena Coil, while they wait for hysteroscopies or further investigations or treatments, as it can slow down or get rid of anything untoward going on in the womb.
It's def worth the question, I just hope I'm not too late and the GP hasn't called yet!
I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.
Thank you so much for getting in touch! I have already spoken to him but we’ve got an online system going at the moment where I can ask questions via email so I’ve just messaged him to see if he’ll consider prescribing Provera. For me, that would be a big help mentally knowing that something was possibly helping while I wait. I’ll see what he says!
You’re so lovely! Xx
Safe payments by:
We're here to provide physical, financial and emotional support. So whatever cancer throws your way, we're right there with you.
© Macmillan Cancer Support
© Macmillan Cancer Support, registered charity in England and Wales (261017), Scotland (SC039907) and the Isle of Man
(604). Also operating in Northern Ireland. A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales company
number 2400969. Isle of Man company number 4694F. Registered office: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7UQ. VAT no: