We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Cancer and coronavirus

nightingale19
Posted by

My cancer is currently in remission and I have no other health problems but I was in two minds about going for my check up on  monday in the current climate as I am 70, it  is a long journey on public transport and the oncology clinic is always very crowded.. I decided to go as I had been told I had the  first appointment of the day with my consultant. So I thought no waiting around.  There was a long queue outside waiting for the clinic to open and it filled up at once with around 24  patients to see 6 consultants.  An lady sat opposite me with a heavy cold with  her son sat next to me  and her daughter all talking loudly in Arabic. I expected to  see  my consultant quickly but he was already running 30 minutes late . It seemed an emergency case had been scheduled in front of me. The Arabic lady raided the coffee napkins when her tissue was used up.  My visit highlighted the risks we are exposed to daily.

I have just watched Boris Johnson's press conference. What are over 70s or even over 60s supposed to do when they need outpatient treatment in a busy hospital clinic? At present I  do not consider myself to be frail and have no coronavirus symptoms. My son  was planning to bring our grandchildren over at the weekend. But now we are told young children  could be symptomless  carriers. My husband who is 69  is in good health and plays   bridge twice a week. Should he stop?  

I know there are many fatalities in Italy but they have a much higher percentage of older people in poor health than the UK, and of smokers and of course they kiss as a greeting which seems more likely to spread the virus just as they spit a lot in China. So I would expect  a higher % of fatalities there than in the UK. Yet I am now told I have a higher chance of dying from coronavirus than cancer. Is everyone over 70 supposed to become a hermit? For how long?

Nannasuki
Posted by

Hi Nightingale,  I also feel very confused and conflicted about the advice to the over 65's. I have elderly parents so will need to still see them if they have to isolate themselves. I'm undergoing chemotherapy so what do I do? The main problem is that we just don't know how long this is going to bo on for. If it was for a set period of a few weeks then we could buckle down and deal with it but it could go on for months with the elderly socially isolated from family and friends. Not everyone has a computer to interact with the world, like my parents. 

Being a bit selfish, I'm hoping that my chemo will be continued even if the outbreak gets a lot worse. The outlook for me wouldn't be great if they had to suspend treatment. 

Very worrying times. Take care everyone and just be sensible. 

Nannasuki xx

GBear
Posted by

The problem is we are still dealing with an unknown with the corona virus and its very difficult what to do for the best. There has been some conflicting information out there so always best to check with our individual medical teams and follow their advice. But then when we have elderly parents who are vulnerable then you do get the concerns of for how long etc social isolation. I do believe though that people follow the advice of if they have what maybe a cold to self isolate if its just a cold great but it would reduce the risk. But from your post its obvious some don't follow this advice. So all you can do is reduce risk, as someone once said cancer you have and undergoing treatment you may never get this awful virus so keeping up with treatment is important. Apart from your own medical teams the nurses here online are able to help with some general advice for us. I have now my own concerns that my Doctors surgery has closed and appointments being cancelled by them with no explanation, if you have a prescription to put in you can post it in but you can't collect it, they are saying you can't order your prescription by phone so how are these people going to cope? I luckily order online via the surgery website and they send it to my pharmacy but not everyone has this factuality.

The ironic thing is the surgery has said its business as usual - really? 

Keep well everyone

GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies

Lass
Posted by

For prescriptions, I can highly recommend the Echo app for those in England. 

You plug in all your pills and when they need renewed. Then you fill out your details and which is your doctors.

Then, when your medication is due they send you an alert to tell you. You then click on the drugs you want and then 'request prescription'. They then get the prescription from your doctors electronically, fill out the prescription, and post them to your house.

No need to go anywhere or speak to anyone! 

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

GBear
Posted by

Hi , that's interesting to know about the echo app, I wonder if all surgery's will have this option. I know for me being able to order online has been very useful, and great for so many who maybe vulnerable to picking up other illnesses. Thanks again

GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies

Lass
Posted by

So long as your surgery have the facility to do electronic prescriptions then yes, which is why Scots can't use it yet. When you search for your surgery in the app, all the ones with the facility come up. So dead easy to see if you can use it or not within minutes.

Echo is also Lloyd's the pharmacy. Just in case anyone worries it's dodgy. Lol.

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

papermoon
Posted by

Thanks Lass that's sounds brilliant will check it out. With regards people worrying about attending hospital appointments your hospital should post on their website the current coronavirus status e.g mine states our area has small number of cases and its recommended to attend all routine appointments. My concern is that I'm due a scan and its the idea of the unit over my head after someone else that's rather off putting. I thought a Drs surgery had a brilliant system where you wait in your car until the allotted time and if the dr was running late the receptionist came and got you. But I know what you mean nightingale much more should be done every patient checking in should first have to use hand gel then state if they were unwell in anyway like the Arabic lady and if they have even a slight cold be seated in another area preferably a room allocated for such people. People are so selfish and many won't heed any of the advice, you only have to look at the supermarkets to realise that! 

Lass
Posted by

In relation to scans, everything used is cleaned in between patients - especially just now.

I can't find any hand sanitiser round here, so I'm kinda annoyed at the hoarders. To be able to go out and about, I'd like a little bottle for my bag because my immune system isn't the strongest after the radiation I've had. And when you're out and about, you can't wash your hands as needed. So moan, moan, grumble, grumble. Lol. 

Hope the scan goes well and the app does as you need it to! 

Lass

Xx

papermoon
Posted by

I'm sure they are Lass but it's still the idea of it. I can't find any sanitiser either! I got some online Purell foaming sanitiser except it doesn't foam it's just liquid. On closer inspection it's to coin a trump phrase fake! It's just small plastic bottles with a label stuck on.

Lass
Posted by

That's so rude and cheeky! I can't believe that folks would take advantage of people in a situation like this. 

I was thinking of hunting online, but I'm not hearing great things about stock there either. 

Lass

Xx

Little Critter
Posted by

Hi everyone ! hope you don't mind me joining in ? Ok so the best thing to get if you are able is pure Alcohol, usually have to order it from chemist (Llyods, boots etc.,) mix it 60/40 with your favourite hand cream  (more alcohol) and there you are. I think that superdrug do nice little travel bottles, just a thought. At least then you would feel a little safer in the knowledge that it was good and strong, has to be a minimum of 60% proof apparently. 

And in the words of Hill Street Blues

"Hey lets be careful out there"

Happy Sunday

LC

XX

nightingale19
Posted by

I have a particular problem re the coronavirus. My husband who is 69, retired and  very sociable, is a bridge addict. I don't play.. He plays around three times a week, twice at a local club and once in some tournament or other he has entered .Today for example he is playing in a heat of the National Pairs with his regular partner ( who is in his late 50s.) It is taking place at a local club and over 50 pairs are entered. The top pairs proceed to the next round elsewhere in the UK.

Duplicate bridge is played in pairs with two pairs at  a table. Each table has  several rounds of pre dealt hands stored in special trays. The pairs at a table play against each other. All the hands are played and scored. Then one pair moves to the next table in one direction  and the hands are passed to the next tabe in the other direction . Then they play again. This continues until every pair has played every other pair . The pair with the best overall score wins. When I tell you that a bridge table is 33" square, you can see the risks involved for transmitting viruses.

The problem is bridge players are serious addicts of playing bridge. If you look on their official website about the coronavirus you can read guidelines which only make it clear they are in denial about the current risks.

I was 70  last autumn and will be covered by any govt. advice on self isolation. OTH will not  be 70 until the end of the year and fully intends  to keep playing bridge.  It is not possible to  have a rational discussion because he reacts like any addict threatened with having his drug withdrawn. At present I am thinking of going to stay with my sister is 72  Her health is good.  Her husband is also 69 and still working but he does have health issues and is  going to work,  staying  at his desk , coming home and staying in. So it would be a lot less risky there then at home at present.

nightingale19
Posted by

It should say above Many bridge players are serious addicts, not all are of course.....

In any case my sister just phoned to say her husband's work has phoned today to say he is to stay at home at present as his work has just had a case confirmed. Not any one he works with directly but still..... At this stage he would be reassured by a test to show be was negative but of course you only get tested now when admitted to hospital.

Lass
Posted by

I'd be suggesting that husband get in touch with his Bridge partner and ask to crash at theirs until this is over. Keeps you safe and allows him to keep playing, and you can facetime each other to keep in touch! 

Lass

Xx

Free at Last
Posted by

Greetings from Spain where we have been on full lockdown since yesterday.  I'm not worried by being at higher risk if I contract the virus because my cancer was completely removed by my hysterectomy last October (I have my first check-up scheduled for May which may end up being postponed, though).

We can go out only to do essential shopping for food and medicines (and only one person to go at a time so my husband and I can't go out together), to visit a health centre or hospital, or essential workers to go to work.  All non food shops plus bars, cafes, gyms, swimming pools, libraries, public buildings, old people's day centres are closed and all forms of social activities banned.  We cannot even go out for walks or bike rides in isolated areas and the police are flying drones to check for non-compliance.  Of course there are the usual idiots thinking the rules don't apply to them but a number of fines have already been issued and at least one person arrested for being obstreperous with the police.  The army are now being used to help out at places like airports and major railway stations and to disinfect the streets.  All this was to last for 15 days initially but a Government minister has already said this morning that it will almost certainly have to be extended (which is no surprise to anybody).

If these kinds of measures end up being adopted in the UK your husband will have no option but to give up his bridge, whether he likes it or not.  I'm going to find it very difficult not to be able to go to the gym or go swimming and not even have a good walk to compensate, but we have to co-operate for the common good and protect the most vulnerable.  You may have seen on the news that at 8pm every evening people here go out onto their balconies or to their front doors and we have a round of applause for the medical workers who are putting themselves at risk and working so hard on the front line, it is very touching.