Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

brachytherapy

Juliemacca2
Posted by

I had 4 brachytherapy sessions at the Christie, two one week, two the next. Lots of people have no side effects but I had soreness, bleeding, cystitis which lasted a few weeks and bladder and bowel issues which continued for a few months and still rear their ugly head every so often now 11 months later. My surgery was Aug 6 2018 and brachytherapy Oct 2018.

Good luck xx

Nelly17
Posted by

Hi Dawn, hope you don’t mind me asking, were you offered brachytherapy after your surgery? I’ve just had a total hysterectomy for a grade 3 stage 1a tumour. As far as they can tell it was fully contained and hadn’t spread into surrounding blood vessels etc. They have given me the choice to have brachytherapy or not and it would be as a precaution purely because its grade 3. Really struggling with the decision as I’ve been told it will only make a 1-2% difference to the chance of recurrence and if it does come back I wouldn’t be able to have the brachytherapy again. I don’t want to limit my treatment options if it does come back, especially when having brachytherapy now would only improve the percentage by a small amount.  

I know it’s good that I’m in the position to have just been offered the treatment but I don’t know how to make the decision.  

Thanks x

Chickplc
Posted by

Hi Nelly17 no I wasn't offered brachetherapy post op because I was Stage 1a grade 1 even though I had cells in my blood and my consultant told me I wouldn't be offered further treatment at my stage and grade of cancer.  I did recurr after 6 months but the theory is that the cells came down in body fluids from the hysterectomy.  Decision making is difficult re treatment for this disease as no cancers act the same. Good luck and take care. Xx Dawn

mum999
Posted by

thank you - there seems to be so many ways of doing it and so many different reactoins to it . i had normal radio 8 years ago for bowel cancer and remember the burning well, i've had 5 bladder operations since then x

Stef 
Live, Love, Laugh x
Nelly17
Posted by

Thank you for your reply Dawn, picked up on your comment because I’m also in Sheffield and was offered the 21 hours. Yes it’s very difficult to make these decisions. Best of luck with your continued recovery x 

Galanthophile
Posted by

I had grade 3 stage 1a too and had 3 sessions of brachytherapy about 6 weeks after surgery. I felt I was recovering ok from the surgery so most of the after effects I have had have been caused by the radiotherapy. It’s 7 months ago now and the fatigue is awful. Still using the dilators. I think everyone responds differently but all I would say is be prepared for side effects. Good luck

Mommatee
Posted by

I had 25 pelvic external then at the end the three vag brachy between 6 chemo cycles. 

First session they fit you for the cylinder and verify placement via cat scan then you have your session. My cylinder placements were mildly uncomfortable because I was a bit sore from pelvic but a dilaudid for each session upon arrival did the trick. Music playing in the room  made it go bye fast. I think it was ten minutes or so. did have a good cry when staff left the room. 

Nine months done now and my labia and my hips and other joints ache. May be from chemo too. Bladder hurts every time I pee - cystitis. Proctitis too so hurts to have to go to the bathroom - urgency issues. My bag has atrophied so do the dilation therapy all the time and don’t stop. I thought Inwas good and them noticed after I had to artery from scratch with dilation therapy. 

Cancer free. Keeping it that way. 

Mommatee
Posted by

Typos there sorry