Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Hysteroscopy spreading cancer cells

Nina5252
Posted by

Hi

I have been doing some research this evening. I go in for my surgery tomorrow, I have just read about the risk of Hysteroscopy disturbing/releasing cancer cells into the Peritoneum??

Had anyone ever been told this? I am very worried ad so bled for.3 days after Hysteroscopy.

Thank You

Nina

Lass
Posted by

Heya, 

Most people bleed after a hysteroscopy because they usually take biopsies which involves cutting away a part of the lining. 

It's very, very unlikely that a hysteroscopy is going to release cells into the peritoneum, because your reproductive system is just about a closed loop. The only way the cells could get to the peritoneum after a hysteroscopy would be to somehow travel up the fallopian tube, then escape the fimbriae into the stomach, to then travel and embed into the peritoneum. That's a massive journey, that goes against gravity and the natural flow of the body, and why sperm need to be motile.

So not impossible, there may be a handful of cases who were unlucky enough that it happened to. But highly unlikely to the point that its not worth worrying about. 

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Fairycake
Posted by

Hi The night before surgery is quite an anxious time. I just wanted to met you know I'm thinking about you and hoping all goes well. I can't answer your question but I can tell you my gynae-oncologist did a peritoneal wash and had it tested along with the tissues. They do everything they can to minimise all the risks that come with any surgery. I sense you are very worried and whilst I understand  that you want and need to be well informed, I'm just wondering how helpful all your research and reading is to your emotional wellbeing  at this very moment. Please can I gently suggest you make tonight a Google free night in terms of your reading about surgery, risks etc as it can fuel the worry and anxiety. Can you spend the evening doing something you enjoy, something that helps to calm and uplift you? Please don't think I'm being insensitive by saying this - I'm just concerned for you. Share your worries and concerns with your team tomorrow - the docs usually come round for a chat with you before you go down to theatre. I'm sure they will take very good care of you. Sending you a gentle hug and remembering you in my prayers x

GBear
Posted by

and are right in what they have both said. Although there is no such word as impossible it seems from what I have heard here and my own experience that the chance is very low. I think we are all very scared the night before and have so many worries circling our minds but the most important thing is tonight just relax and try and get a good nights sleep, speak to your consultant about your worries tomorrow beforehand and I am sure they will give you every reassurance. I hope that everything goes well tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed and sending some positive thoughts to you.

Sending you a gentle hug

GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“life is like a box of chocolates, we search for the good ones first and hope not to have to eat the bad ones"

Nina5252
Posted by

OMG thank you so much ... I could cry with relief.

Nina xx

Nina5252
Posted by

Hi Fairycake

Yes you are right I have put Google down. It is not helping me.

I over worry I think. Your words have been most helpful

Thank you

Nina. Xc

Nina5252
Posted by

Hi GBear

Thank You and you are right. I love the support we all give each other. I would be lost without it.

Nina. Xx

Little lamb
Posted by

Hi nina. Just wanted to wish you well with your surgery today. You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.Love lamb.xx

Nina5252
Posted by

Hi Little Lamb

Thank Youso much I am sitting waiting for my lift. Thinking about what other housework I can do before I leave lol

Nina

Nina5252
Posted by

Hi everyone

Surgery is finished...And 8 am still 8n hospital, I have Cellulitis around my belly button. 

I am utterly exhausted, I was in theatre.about 3hrs. I didn't see the surgeon who operated on me . It wad a different surgeon who updated me. So I have what l9oks like a big indentation on m6 left side. Honestly looks l8ke I lost some tissue. 

I am on antibiotics for this. I also have a catheter still in ad my bladder not work8ng. 

I eill be reviewed in the morning and will be looking for the operating surgeon

I am worried about this infection. C

Thanks for listening

Nina x

Rahman
Posted by

Good to hear from you Nina. 

Hope all is well

i would not worry about the infection. They have started you on antibiotics and hope it will be resolved. Hope you will get more details from your surgeon. 

Good luck and try to rest

hope to hear from you 

love

Rahman xxx

Little lamb
Posted by

Hi nina, well the surgery is over but I'm sorry to hear you have cellulitis around the navel. As rahman says please try not to worry as they have caught it early and have started you on antibiotics ich should clear it up quite quickly.it's just a nuisance that it's disrupted your plans for an earlier discharge but you are in the right place. The surgery would have caused lots of swelling and bising inside and that may be why you are a different shape...I was like an oversized beach ball and I had more swelling on my right hand side for some reason. Hopefully the surgeon will be able to p your mind at ease and explain the steps of the surgery they performed. You just concentrate on your recovery now and take it easy..Hopefully your bladder will sort itself out..that's had a bit of bhing around as well..mine took a week or so to get back to normal! God bless you nina. But coming your way. Love lamb

Little lamb
Posted by

That last bit should be hug coming your way! ( I haven't had my coffee yet..Hopefully awake!)

hysteria53
Posted by

hi Nina, great news that your surgery is over but I am sorry to hear you now have an infection. However it has been treated very quickly so am sure you will be feeling better and hopefully looking forward to going home soon. As for the swelling, its normal and it will take some weeks for your tummy to settle down. That's why we always advise newbies to get a supply of comfy knickers one or two sizes larger than usual. In fact I've never gome back to finding waistbands on jeans or skirts entirely comfortable and that's a year post op. Try to relax and enjoy being looked after for a day or two if you can xxx

Fairycake
Posted by

Hi Nina, 

Sorty to hear about the infection. That’s a bit of a blow but hopefully will clear up soon now you’re on antibiotics. I had uneven swelling and a “dent” near my tummy button. I still have that but it has levelled out a bit after 3 yrs. My shape is definitely different to what it was, due in no small part to the fact I had several large fibroids before surgery. I now fit into more slimline dresses - my surgeon told me I would! It takes a few weeks for the post op swelling to go down completely. Rest up now and take things a day at a time. Gentle hugs coming your way x