Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

To eat or not pre-surgery day

Nina5252
Posted by

Hi

I have been watching YouTube videos in which health care professionals from different hospitals discuss pre and post op care.

This one doctor was discussing fasting the day before surgery and also gave her patients bowel prep. She told them only clear fluids the day before. I went for my pre op assessment and the discussion was nothing to eat from midnight day before, no discussion of day before fasting and no bowel prep.

When I saw the surgeon he said sometimes there is a need for removing the bowel or bladder away from the womb before removal. My thought wa the least in there the better then? Has anyone done this pre-op?

Thankyou

Nina

oldady
Posted by

Hi ,

I notice that you have had no reply from anyone with more recent experience so I checked out what I was told before my op 4 years ago.   I do remember my pre-op was purely the routine checks of BP, ecg  and weight etc.  No operation advice or info at all, other than being told to  drink the energy drink at the correct time.  Other than that all I had was a letter with the time of admission and an instruction to have nothing but sips of water after midnight.   I know that some people have been given antiseptic gel to use in the shower beforehand.but I didn't, neither did I have to do any bowel prep   . The only other thing was a anti-coagulation injection the evening before surgery. 

I think that trusts and individual surgeons do vary in their procedures.  Some things that used to be common practice have been found to be unnecessary  and may even be counter productive in that they increase the pressure on the patient and create anxiety.  Do contact your CNS who can reassure you about your preparation.  

So many people here have said how the operation and the period after was much easier than they expected  - I am sure you will be joining them shortly!

Good Luck

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

Fairycake
Posted by

Hi  From what I remember (from 3 yrs ago) I was told nil by mouth from midnight. I wasn't given any bowel prep or any of the special drinks other ladies on here talk about. I think opinions vary between surgeons and hospitals. It can be very confusing when you get conflicting advice so I'd suggest you maybe ring your CNS and have a word with her - she should be able to confirm which approach your team prefers. 

I didn't have anything particular to do before the op (other than maintain my fitness by walking and eating well) but I was on an enhanced recovery programme after the op which involved getting up and walking the next day, a visit from a physio to talk about post op exercises and a visit from an enhanced recovery nurse who gave lots of helpful advice about post op care and who could be contacted with any queries/concerns in the first 2/3 weeks post surgery. She rang me at home a few days after the op for an in depth discussion about how I felt physically and emotionally and then again a week later. 

Hope that helps a little x

Arla
Posted by

Hi Nina,

i was allowed to eat until the night before my op, I was fine apart from the post op constipation, if I'd been prepared for that I'd have been perfect, I waited too long to take something.

The same hospital gave me bowel prep for a mini colonoscopy, which was a special diet the day before the procedure and a couple of sachets which cleared me out, it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't be keen to repeat it if I didn't need to (I like eating lol). 

Your CNS will keep you right as fairy cake says. 

xxx

GrannyA
Posted by

My surgery was five weeks ago today. Nil by mouth after midnight and then clear fluids only before 7am the morning of surgery. I also had some pre op drinks to take, one at supper time the night before and one the morning of surgery before 7am. 

I was absolutely fine and would go with whatever the hospital tells you. 

Best wishes

GrannyA
Nina5252
Posted by

Hi Old lady

Thank You I am just anxious to prepare as best I can.

Nina x

Rahman
Posted by

Good luck Nina

let us know how you get on . 

I was admitted to hospital before my surgery. I was not allowed to eat from 12 midnight. I was allowed water until morning. 

My surgery did not happen until afternoon. 

It was ok . My bladder was stuck to uterus and they had to reconstruct the bladder. I stayed in for 2 weeks after my operation. I was in lot of pain. My pain was not manage very well. 

Everyones case is different so I would not worry too much

you will be fine , try to relax and trust your doctors. They know best. 

Best wishes

Rahman x

Little lamb
Posted by

Nina, my surgery was nine weeks ago( west london) . I was told not to eat after midnight and only a small glass of water to take medication before 6am on the day. No bowel prep although I was trying to eat prunes and fruit to clear myself out in the preceding two days. No special drinks. I was given anti coagulation injections after the operation and had to administer them myself for a couple of weeks after that. Hope everything goes well for you and try not to worry/overthink. It will be done before you know it. God bless.xlamb

Rahman
Posted by

Dear Fairycake

i read one of your posts that you have made changes to your life style. Specially around what you eat and the spiritual side. 

I am trying my best to do same but am finding it very difficult. I am a main career for my husband and that does make things very difficult. Would you and any other share, what has worked well. 

I feel I am gaining weight again which is really worrying me. 

I seem to get very little time to my self. 

I really need to bring some changes. 

I do not know if I am making any sense 

thanks 

Rahman xx

NannyAnny
Posted by

Hi Rahman,

When I was 57 the doctors picked up the fact that my cholesterol was high and told me to go on a diet to lose weight. I have never bothered with dieting, so read up a lot about it. I went onto a fat free diet, so cut out cheese altogether, went on to skimmed milk, don't like cream or butter anyway!! I limited the amount of red meat we eat, and increased fish. I began to look at fat content on labels and stuck to anything with fat content of 4%, or under. You will find that this cuts out an awful lot of food (which I like).  It did make a difference with my weight, but I still had to go on pills! The nurse told me that you could have a naughty weekend as long as you got back on track afterwards. By the way the cholesterol has been controlled since, and I am now 74. I'm sure my problem tied up with the menopause.

I still look at labels and feel very naughty sometimes! It does become a mind set, and you'll learn what to avoid. Its worth a try. I'm lucky in that my husband joins in with the fat free diet. He makes naughty puddings for himself!! xxx

Rahman
Posted by

Thank you Nanny Anny. 

I will try to look at labels. I am trying to cut down red meat and try to cook more vegetables. I cook every day and it is always fresh. 

My main problem is sugar. I need to stop taking it in tea and coffee. I am finding that very different. 

Thank you for the tips 

lots of  

Rahman 

Fairycake
Posted by

Dear

Yes,, you are making sense.  you're right, I did make some lifestyle changes. I found the whole cancer thing made me re-evaluate what was important to me. So, I try to healthily where I can - I try to avoid low fat things that have lots of sugar or artificial sweeteners in them, for example, and I try to limit my intake of processed sugar etc. I'm no angel - I love very dark chocolate for example, and I'll happily have a scone or a slice of cake if I meet a friend for coffee, but I try to eat a balanced diet. It's easy to incorporate extra veg into your main meals (try adding chopped /diced veg to a bolognese, or swapping half the meat for a tin of lentils), add a side salad to your lunchtime sandwich and try to have fruit for snacks. I eat more fish now too. I read labels  too -be wary of anything that has lots of ingredients that read more like a list of chemicals! Ready prepared frozen veg is a great standby if you struggle to find time to prep veg yourself. Another easy thing to do is add fruit to your morning cereal - I often use frozen raspberries, blueberries or cherries and add them to my porridge (defrost the fruit overnight) 

Physically I walk a lot more now - 2 to 4 miles most days. It helps keep me fairly active and it's great to help balance emotions too. Emotionally I've learned some coping strategies. I knit a lot because concentrating on a pattern occupies both hands and enough of my brain to help prevent the what ifs from gaining too much ground. I am a practising Christian so prayer plays an important role too, Some like to meditate, others use mindfulness techniques - you don't need to carve a out a big chunk of your day to do these. If you pray, you can do that whilst you wash up or do the ironing. If you use mindfulness techniques, try to be present to the little things e.g.  if you're out for a walk, be conscious of the sound of children laughing, of birds singing, of the playful puppy, the rustle of the leaves in the tree and so on. 

You have a lot going on in your life right now. It sounds as though you haven't got much time for yourself. Maybe start with something small - think of one thing you could do that you feel would benefit you in some way and then try to put it into practice. The lovely often talks about "project me" and "project recovery" - finding proactive ways to improve your lifestyle or the way you feel etc, ways of reclaiming some control. You are your husband's main carer but you also have your own needs and it's important that you take care of yourself too - you're worth it. 

Sorry moderators, this has gone away from the subject of the thread  , I hope that helps a little. Thinking of you and remembering you in my prayers. xx

hysteria53
Posted by

hi Nina, my hysterectomy for womb cancer was just over a year ago. I was advised no food after midnight and no liquid after 3am. I felt I needed my strength so made sure to eat well in the days preceding it, including a milk drink and biscuits at bedtime. I also set my alarm clock for 2am to have a good drink of water. I wanted to be strong and hydrated. It stood me in good stead because I was well enough after my surgery in the morning to go home the same evening.

oldady
Posted by

HI ,

I always knew all the theory about weight and diet etc but until a few years ago didn't bother to put it into practice and let the weight creep up.   I got a wake-up call when a routine 70yr + check up at my GP showed my Blood pressure and cholesterol had got high.  Up to then I had been lucky enough not to be on any routine medication  and I wanted  to keep it that way.  My GP also seemed keen for me to try and improve things without drugs by losing weight and changing my diet.

Like  Nanny Anny I made a real effort to cut out the fatty things  -cheese had always been my downfall!  After a few months my cholesterol had gone from high to borderline so i tried harder,  dropping from semi- skimmed to skimmed milk and using the special low fat spread and finally the level was normal.   I know that I have a tendency to pick at things between meals and I really try not to do it anymore.  I also try to have smaller portions at meals but this often worries my family as they think I'm not well again!  I try to take a reasonable amount of exercise and this combined with the change in eating habits has brought my weight and BP down so I have remained medication free. 

I know  that the weight is all too ready to creep back so I weigh myself every day and take myself in hand if the scales start going  the wrong way.  It's strange but one thing that helps me is occasionally going out for a nice lunch which should include  some  wine and a yummy dessert.  It makes me happy, I feel full and don't want anything to eat for the rest of the day.  

PS  I 've just remembered; I try to eat more slowly as well - it really helps!  

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

Rahman
Posted by

Hi

thank you for the tips. When I was having chemotherapy. I had a very bad reaction. I felt that someone was breaking my back. 

My drug was stopped immediately and that had left me with a very bad back. I lost lot of weight but feel that I have started putting it back .. Lot of my time is tide up caring for my husband who is 83 year old. He has multiple health issues. 

I love him dearly but I sometime feel that I am not able to look after him like I used to. I am 20 year younger and he has been relying on me a lot. It is difficult to get out of the house. There is always something going . 

I do like the idea of having lunch out. I can do that few times a week. I am trying to walk every day, even if it is only for 10 minutes. I have taken a gym membership but hardly have used. I am thinking about joking a walking group. This way 

I have focus time for myself. 

Sorry I am going on and on .  Hope I am not boring you all

Thanks for listening 

Take care

lots of love

Rahman x