Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

New to this forum and scared !!

SKOX
Posted by

I am 53 years old, perimenopausal, have previously had ovarian cysts removed and have Fibroids.  Suffer with serve heavy periods

Yesterday I had a Transvaginal examination to check on Fibroids as periods were getting worse and more painful!

I was told that my uterine lining was 20mm and they are going to transfer me to gyne for a biopsy.  

After researching the internet, bad idea I know !  I am now worried with such a thick lining I may have Uterine cancer

I know the wait is going to be stressful, any help would be appreciated - Thank you 

NannyAnny
Posted by

Hi SKOX,

Sorry you find yourself here. I know they don't seem to like thick linings!! But, mine was normal range and I still had cancer!!

When I went through the menopause I had some dreadful periods, where I hardly dared stand up, but that settled in time, and gradually dwindled to nothing! It took quite a few years of flooding to no periods at all, back to flooding! I refused HRT after a lot of trouble with hormones after 2 miscarriages. I decided the body could sort itself out and it did!

I had two small spottings at 72, and knew that wasn't right. I'm sure my years of being petrified while pregnant about miscarriages stood me in good stead as I went straight to the doctors and was fast tracked. In the end I had very early cancer which they sorted out with a hysterectomy only, and I count myself lucky. I had a keyhole operation which was amazing. I only had 3 small scars and recovered quickly. I was in hospital 2 days simply because my bladder was slow working. Most people don't have this, and I think age might be a factor. Most people seem to be troubled by wind afterwards, but I wasn't! Guess we are all different.

My advice is to keep busy, and they told me it was better to be fit before the operation. I was, because I walk everywhere because I can't drive.

All the best, whatever happens xxxxx    

Fairycake
Posted by

Hi there SKOX,

a very warm welcome to you. We all know what it's like to play the waiting game - it's certainly not a fun thing to do. The biopsy will help to rule things in as well as rule things out, so it's good to hear you're being referred for one. Hopefully you  wont have to wait too long for that.

Please try not to second guess anything. Lots of ladies pass through here and find out their symptoms are benign. If that's the case for you, we'll be celebrating with you.  If it's found you do have cancer, and I say if because you're still waiting for the biopsy, then you need to know that womb cancer caught early is highly treatable, with surgery often being all that's needed.  

Id say if you can, try to avoid googling, it's a bit like scratching an itch - it's ok for a bit but then you read something bad and you scramble to find something positive to counteract it. Been there, done that, got the tshirt! If you can't resist the stick to reputable sites like this one, or NHS or CancerUK and limit your screen time. 

We often say try to keep busy while you wait. It's sometimes easier said than done, I know. My nurse told me to try to keep doing the things I normally enjoy and I think it did help me to keep some perspective on things. Bring all your coping strategies out. So, try allowing yourself a worry slot (say 10 mins, 3times a day or whatever gap you can cope with ) where you're allowed to worry as much as you like, then use distraction techniques. Some people here meditate, others pray (me included) Some find crafts helpful - quite a few of us here Knit, for example,  because it occupies both hands and enough of the brain to help prevent negative thoughts taking hold. Others go to the gym or walk and so on. Plan yourself some treats to look forward to. Worry and anxiety are a natural response to what you're going through, if you can, try not to let it take over so much that it stops you enjoying the things you usually find pleasurable in your day. 

Sending you a gentle virtual hug and lots of good wishes that all goes well for you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on x

Arla
Posted by

Hey Skox,

the others have said if all, I just wanted to add the statistics as they would make me feel better, 90% of womb biopsies come back clear.

whatever happens we are here to wait with you

lots of love

xxx

Army
Posted by

Hi Scox

It's a horrible time the wait.  The ladies in here are the.  I felt so much better coming in here than reading a death sentence on Dr Google. 

I'm 50 and also perimenopausal.  I had no bleed for 2 months then January had two heavy bleeds and another one early Feb.  Went to docs had internal then ultrasound and transvaginal.  That was Feb 11 I got put onto urgent referral. As my womb lining was measuring 11mm.  to see a gynaecologist about biopsy my referral date is 17th April.  The wait has been horrific   The first week I was a mess.  Then decided to pull myself round till I hear my news.  

I have been spotting throughout and dull heavy pelvic pains.  Like cramp and niggles.  But for the last couple of weeks I've noticed an under lying tickly cough. 

Fingers crossed all goes ok for you at gynaecologist.  The statistics seems really good. So I'm holding out I'm one of the lucky ones.  Or at most early stages.  Try stay positive.  It's hard.  I know my stress levels was through the roof.  

Big hugs

SKOX
Posted by

Thank you NannyAnny x 

SKOX
Posted by

Thank you for the hug fairycake much appreciated x 

SKOX
Posted by

Thank you Arla x 

SKOX
Posted by

Thanks Army x  hope all goes well for you on the 17th let me know how you get on 

Big hugs right back at you  xx

SKOX
Posted by

Just an update:  I have my referral appointment for 11th April.  Roll on the 11th !!! 

I have since found out that the scan I had in 2017, was already at 12mm and wondered if I should have been referred 2 years ago!!!!

Arla
Posted by

Hi skox,

im glad that you don't have too long to wait for your appointment, try not to overthink things and keep busy whilst you wait

lots of love

xxx

Galanthophile
Posted by

Try not to worry. I was diagnosed in October had surgery in December, radiotherapy in February and am well on the road to recovery. Even if it is what you fear it can be treated and overcome. One step at a time. Good luck!

Nannydeb
Posted by

Firstly hello lovely and sending a big hug,

Try not to let your mind take over and pleas stay away from DrGooglexxxxDrGooglexxxx 

Just know that you are in good hands, from my experience I can't have had better or quicker care from diagnosis to op  

I was diagnosed Dec 10th 2018, on the 15th Jan 2019 I was scheduled to have a keyhole radical hysterectomy after getting diagnosed grade 2 stage 1a endometrial cancer. Surgery was then rescheduled 23rd Jan. 

Now 9 weeks post op I'm back at work CANCER FREE, back at the gym and loving life x 

The worst part was the pre operation period of time......my emotions were all over the place. This forum helped me hugely x know that your not alone xxxx

Hugs from Berkshire x

Debs x
Army
Posted by

Hi Scox

So glad to hear you haven't got long to wait.  Fingers crossed all good news .

Let me know what happens on the 11th x️