Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Upper arm and Hip pain post brachytherapy

harrietden
Posted by

hello

you we’re all so much help before I’m wondering if you could help again

i was diagnosed with stage 2 endometrial cancer last September. I’ve had total hysterectomy followed by 2 sessions of brachytherapy, finished on 7 January. My follow with doctor is April 23 but I’ve been in constant touch with oncology nurse who has jus done a blood test.

has anyone had upper arm pain and hip pain that only begun about 2 weeks ago? 

Im a worrier and wanted to see if anyone had similarities after effects

thanks

Harrietden
hysteria53
Posted by

Hinharrietden, inhad brachytherapy too but didn't get any arm or hip pain.  But it can affect your bowel so I'm wondering if this is some sort of referred pain from there.  On the other hand it's just as likely nothing at all tondo with the brachytherapy.  I think your nurse is the one to consult about this and she's obviously on the ball getting some blood tests done.  There's a temptation for us to associate anything which happens to the womb cancer and it's ireatment.  But we're all going to get the usual colds and pulled muscles and aches and pains.  Having said that, did you have external radiotherapy as well?  That definitely affected my dodgy hip for a while.  Xx

harrietden
Posted by

Hello again lovely to hear from you. How are you?

you could be absolutely correct and I’m glad the nurse is doing the blood. I jus have been feeling almost back to whatever normal was and then there’s this! And yes, you’re also right, any little twinge, I think must be related to cancer. They say it’s all clear after hysterectomy but that was in November and if I’ve understood correctly they don’t scan now????  I’m seeing the radiotherapy doc for a follow up on April 23. A long time to go! It was changed from end of February. I get they’re very busy but I’m such a worrier and this doesn’t help

thanks for replying xx

i didn’t have radiotherapy ..... how did it feel on your poor hip?

Harrietden
hysteria53
Posted by

Hi again, yes, it's natural to worry but I'm sure you'll be fine.  I've had hip pain for a long time and was having physiotherapy for it in February last year.  The physio said it was caused by a tight piriformis muscle and the exercises she gave me for that had really helped.  But then the endometrial cancer interrupted all that.  I didn't do the exercises after my op because they involved a lot of pulling on the legs and tummy which obviously wasn't a good idea.  After my treatment, external rt rt and then brachytherapy, thenhip pain returned quite severely.  My GP said he would arrange an MRI for me if it didn't ease in a few weeks.  But it did gradually go away.  It was as though the radiotherapy had somehow found my weakest point if that makes sense!  Anyway I'm back to the exercises now ?and in a lot less pain.  I found that the after effects of the radiotherapy , fatigue and bowel upset, took a good few months to wear off.  It's six months ago that I finished my treatment and feel back to normal now.  Xx,

harrietden
Posted by

That’s helpful information . I’m about five and a half months after treatment and was starting to feel improved. Will see what blood test is like and guess I’ll know from there. The oncology nurse is really helpful.

thanks xx

Harrietden
AmandaJane71
Posted by

Hi

Yes!  mine started about 6/7 months after treatment.  I’m having physio for it.  Apparently it’s a side effect of the surgery and the damage to my core muscles.  Apparently I’d been over compensating by rolling my shoulders forward and  it’s really common according to my physio.  Mine is right shoulder and left hip...again it’s normal to have opposite shoulder/hip issues.

i wonder if this is your issue??  Good news is that the physio works.  Took a while but I’m much better now.

hope you get sorted

Amanda

harrietden
Posted by

Hello 

thanks for this. Sounds very possible as I’ve caught myself standing awkwardly a few times,  I’m not sure why , but this might explain things. The worry is probably as bad as the pain and it’s knowing how to deal with that. I wish there was an easy answer.

thanks again very helpful xx

Harrietden