Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Ongoing bowel changes 7 months post radiotherapy

Kaitlin
Posted by

Has anyone experience of ongoing bowel issues post radiotherapy?  I had quite bad effects during my treatment - which seemed to settle afterwards but things don't seem to be the same as they were before treatment.  I end up feeling quite bloated after meals and continue to go to the loo a lot but pass only small amounts most of the time.  Otherwise fine - no bleeding or diarrheoa.  Wonder whether I need to focus on changing my diet? I eat plenty of roughage and fibe......

Kaitlin

NannyAnny
Posted by

Hi Kaitlin,

I didn't have radiotherapy, but my bowels are definitely different, even more than a year after the op.! I think there is more room to store up for large stools! I certainly don't go as frequently as I did. And sometimes it feels as if there is a 'bar' that it has to negotiate!!! I feel as if I need to go, and can't unless I sit for half an hour and really concentrate. Do you drink plenty of water? That may help. xxxxxx

Kaitlin
Posted by

Thank you Nanny Anny.

I do drink lots of drinks throughout the day but must confess they are more likely to be teas and coffees rather than water!  I guess the changes are something I may have to get used to.  xxxx

NannyAnny
Posted by

Hi Kaitlin,

I  thought I'd better put water, instead of drink in case people took it wrongly!!! As you say, we'll just learn to live with it.

XXXXXX

Kaitlin
Posted by

Hello Nanny Anny,

You just made me laugh because I thought I'd better specify teas and coffees in case anyone thought I meant alcohol.   XXX

GBear
Posted by

Hi  

I didn't have radiotherapy either but suffer with my bowels now, although I got told that they had been damaged and had stretched and formed an extra loop, so longer for everything to travel now. I take movcol to keep things moving and also I have to drink more water or teas as I have renal issues and get very dehydrated and so I would image that that wouldn't help things either. But I be interested to hear what others have to say who did have radiotherapy.

GBear Xxxx

What is a Community Champion?

Womb cancer forum 

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000 mon-fri, 9am to 8pm.

“Live life to the full, and have no regrets, together we are stronger”. 

Kaitlin
Posted by

Hello GBear,

Yes me too. I wonder if it is common to have a few problems.  Really hope the Movicol keeps you comfortable!

xx

hysteria53
Posted by

Hi Kaitlin, I had radiotherapy but not chemo.  I finished my treatment six weeks ago.  Although I had terrible diarrhoea and nausea throughout my treatment, it settled down very quickly afterwards and now I feel almost back to normal apart from urgency.  So when I need to '''go' I have to get to a loo quickly.  Fortunately this is usually after my evening meal so at least I can plan!  I also have to be a bit careful what to eat and sometimes my appetite isn't what it used to be.  Oddly, I found that I couldn't face wine for a good while.  I am persevering though .

bellabongo
Posted by

Hi NannyAnny 

That sounds like constipation to me. I use Dulcoease. No way should you be in the loo for half an hour. Do you eat enough fruit and roughage? 

Love

Alison xxx 

oldady
Posted by

Ladies, don't be down hearted if it seems to be taking a while for things to improve.

Like I tended to have quite an "urge" after any meal.  So much so that I was very wary about having a meal out, particularly before going to the theatre. .  Ladies loos in almost any theatre are a nightmare at the best of times!  Another problem for me   - this is almost certainly too much information   - was the fact that stools were floaty and very reluctant to be flushed away!.  However over the months both situations definitely got better. 

It's quite a while ago so I can't remember exactly how long it took,  but at some point, perhaps 6 months or so later, I realised that actually things were OK again and I could eat out safely again.

(I am still a bit more windy than I used to be though!)

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

Kaitlin
Posted by

So pleased it is all settling after the treatment hysteria53.  I am grateful that I work in an office environment where there are loads of loos as I need to visit them frequently and like you sometimes swiftly!!

Kaitlin
Posted by

That's great news oldady - I shall not be downhearted but mindful of what I eat!

NannyAnny
Posted by

Hi Bellabongo,

Its not constipation! And I really don't need Dulcoease or Movicol.!! Its just different. I think its the opposite of an urge!!!

My grand daughter of 3 years old keeps an eye on me. The other day she asked after our lunch time sandwiches' Nanny, do you want an orange or apple? You usually do'. Can't get away with anything!!!!

bellabongo
Posted by

Hi NannyAnny 

What's constipation to you - an hour on the bog? He He! 

Ah well, you know your body best

Love

Alison xxx 

Arla
Posted by

Hi Kaitlin,

i didn't have any radiotherapy but my bowel is also on the blink, I have urgency and I only pass small amounts too. What I've noticed is that a banana a day really helps things along, it's easier to go and bigger amounts.

when I eat too much veg it seems to go straight through me, and spices too, so I've been watching what I have.

xxx