Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Follow up results

bellabongo
Posted by

Hi Hysteria,

I had my hysterectomy Nov 16, followed by 4 cycles of carboplatin and paclitaxol chemotherapy (starting in Jan17) then 5 weeks of radiotherapy. My hair fell out then, and grew back with chemo curls. Looked like sheep's wool.

Then, in Jan/Feb this year, I had abdominal discomfort, and a ct scan showed cancer cells of a fine and wispy nature had spread all over my omentum and a little bit on my small bowel. My cells showed, from the pathology done on my hysterectomy, that they had 'patchy positivity' to hormones. So I could be prescribed Megace hormone therapy, or Cisplatin and Doxorubicin, the choice was mine. I picked the latter.

So I chopped off my head wool as I was fed up with it anyway. Most of my hair that wad left fell out after my first two cycles. Because I had a chemo break due to heart palpitations (my heart is fine) it started to grow back but now I'm on the chemo it will fall out. Whatever! I do have a nice wig which I use for special occasions. 

Hope my info helps!

Lots of love 

Alison xxx 

hysteria53
Posted by

Thanks for this Alison, it's all very technical but I understand.  I am hoping not to need chemotherapy but we'll see.  A not so good day for me today because it's dull and windy, I'm starting to realise all the possible horrible implications of all this cancer and missing the contact with people at work.  But hey ho that's how it goes.  Everyone has down days, cancer or no cancer.  Hope you soon start to pick up from yesterday's session.  You seem like you are a very tough lady and won't be held back for very long ! xxxx  Steph

bellabongo
Posted by

Thanks Hysteria, I am feeling pretty good today. I feel better on chemo, my symptoms go down, including my psoriatic arthritis. Just need to take the anti-nausea pills. Must avoid sickness!!!

This illness is a roller-coaster of emotions. I am strong now that my treatment is going on, I am less so when nothing is happening. It is hard going for everybody at times, but we adjust to the 'new normal' and every day we have periods where we forget about it. Then the thoughts come back, but after a while we adopt an attitude towards it that let's keep the downsides to a minimum. Coping strategies and all that. My faith helps me immensely, for others they meditate, or take up a project, even if it's as simple as a jigsaw (which I can recommend) and things that divert your attention. Little things, big things. 

I retired last year, but my work colleagues take me out to lunch, etc, which is lovely. I hope your work is good with you

Love

Alison xxx 

hysteria53
Posted by

It's good to hear that your symptoms improve on chemo Alison, at least you get some benefit to balance the nausea.  It is about adjusting to a new normal isn't it.  Hard to accept that one is a cancer patient, but then when I look around so many people I know have had cancer and are surviving and doing all the normal things. 

Work are really good to me.  I work at a local hospice and havenjust been chatting with a colleague.  I'll probably join some of them for coffee and cake in then hospice cafe at some point.  Had my tummy stitches out this afternoon so feeling better as they had got so sore.  Might be able to fasten my pants up now.

I'm not a regular churchgoers but was brought up Methodist and it has stuck with me so I guess I do have a fairly deep-rooted faith which as you say is an immense help especially at times like this but also to provide a moral compass.  I've thought about joining the local church forma fewforms few years, you see I moved to a different town a good few years ago.  But I'm quite shy about going, silly of me really!n xxx

Lara lou xx
Posted by

Hi Hun, I hope you get the answers to your email I think once you know what is what you will find you deal with it easier, you just can’t settle until the questions are answered  can you, as for me I’m happy of course I am but not like I excepted to be, I think the fact cancer was there just leaves a little doubt and worry, I understand the envious bit I get that totally I remember when my biopsy came back as cancer I was devastated, then I saw people with their results showing the pre cells and the relief that it was caught before it changed, I’ll be honest I felt bitter not towards them obviously, bitter in general as in why could I not have had that result, then I saw people with worse results and realised they would love my news, life is a funny thing, always someone better always someone worse, I have learnt one thing though, I can’t change the results, I can only take whatever they throw at me  and not let it take over my life, it’s true what you say you will be exactly the same boat as me in a few months, it’s not that I’m better I’m just ahead, but by the  end of the year, way before that actually, in a few months once you have got through this next step you will be good as new bless ya, from one hysterical person to another let me just say, you are being so brave and forthright and I’m bloody proud of you hyst xxx

Don’t ever give up hope, there are earth Angels all around us and Miracles really do happen xx
hysteria53
Posted by

Lol, I love your posts,, you're right were two hysterical ppl. But I'm certainly not bitter towards you or anyone else, its just the way the dice roll. I think I get it when you say you still have that little doubt and worry and have seen others on here say the same. You've had a reminder of your own mortality, its been in your face so to speak. But none of us is immortal and no one knows what will happen in the future, whether they have cancer or not. So just celebrate and live your life, enjoy each day as it comes and do the things you want to do without restraint or worry xxxx

bellabongo
Posted by

Och, I know. Maybe they have a website like my church where you can get a 'feel' for the place

One of my biggest heroes is William Booth, a Methodist. 

It sounds like such a caring place you work, so a wee coffee and cake with your colleagues sounds lovely - now you can get your trews on! He he! I can recommend it. 

Take care my lovely 

Alison xxx 

Lara lou xx
Posted by

Omg I hope my post didn’t sound like I’m bitter towards anyone with good results, I’m not that cruel to ever feel that, I probably worded it wrong, I literally meant bitter at the situation, the cancer, the inconvenience it gives you, but no way to anyone with good results, I have much empathy I feel happy for people when they ar3 happy, but sadly for me I also feel their pain, it makes my life quite sad at times, I just feel for anyone who is going through bad times xx I’m iust waiting to celebrate the day you say, hey my last treatment session done, then we wrill raise a glass together  Hun xx

Don’t ever give up hope, there are earth Angels all around us and Miracles really do happen xx
Fairycake
Posted by

Hi hysteria,

That's a great idea from Alison to check out the local church/churches via the local website. Or check if they have a Facebook page as that often gives you a good idea for activities there etc. It does give you a bit of a "feel" for them. Don't be shy about going - though I do understand why you feel like that - if you can find a church you feel comfortable in, you'll hopefully find a great source of support. The church may offer some groups you could join without necessarily having to join the church - coffee clubs, craft groups etc. Some churches offer informal healing prayer sessions and more formal healing services too, which can be helpful and supportive. My vicar has known people ring him up just to chat and "sound him out" as a way if getting a feel for the place too. You could also ring him up and ask for a general chat if you would like some spiritual support. Most ministers are happy to offer this type of informal ministry. And of course you could join the religion and spirituality forum here too - it's a very supportive forum Xx 

hysteria53
Posted by

Well, well, well, I have just taken a telephone call from my surgeon following an email I sent this morning with my queries.  He has put my mind at rest, confirming that there is no evidence of cancer in a lymph node but because it has reached the outer part of the muscle wall, there is a possibility it could reach a lymph node.  The staging is 1b and the grade still 1a so the radiotherapy is a belt and braces thing.  My link nurse (who is wonderful) will still be my link nurse even when I have been referred to the regional centre for radiotherapy.  And he will still see me after my radiotherapy has finished and follow me up for five years.  I feel very reassured by this and am really glad that I sent that email to ask my questions.  Particularly since I am still awaiting a call back from the Macmillan helpline who I contacted earlier today.  ON top of that I had my stitches out and already the inflammation and swelling is going down so much more comfortable.  I've booked a few days away from Monday so will go with an easier mind.  

bellabongo
Posted by

This is better news for you Hysteria! Now you can relax more on your days away, which sounds like a good idea to do. 

Enjoy your wee break,

Lots of love

Alison xxx 

Arla
Posted by

That's a good days work hysteria, your surgeon is lovely getting back to you so quickly. 

I'm glad that you are so much more comfortable now, I had my wound sealed with glue, on the outside anyway, probably full of stitches inside. I would say it was great but it bust open a bit a few times and got infected lol, it was super neat before that though and was never uncomfortable. 

I hope that you have a great holiday away.

Lots of love 

Xxx

hysteria53
Posted by

It was lovely of him to ring me wasn't it and he must have been ringing from home because I could hear a dog and childdren in the background.  I'm very glad I asked for clarification, I felt a bit silly admitting I hadn't fully taken in what he had said and he said he realised the clinic was very busy and he didn't have as much time as her like to talk to patients, but he didn't mind me asking the questions at all.  Aren't people nice!   Xxxx

Arla
Posted by

Aw bless him with the dogs and kids in the background! Don't feel silly at all, I didn't take one word in after hearing 'cancer' I nodded as though I was listening, kept smiling then thanked them as I left, as if they had given me great news, or a prize. I was so upbeat, I kept that mood whilst I told everyone, their faces were all dropping and mine had a sunny smile and enthusiasm. 

It's not until you process things then read and learn more about it all that the questions start to form and you get back in the game. 

I had my husband hide my womb cancer booklet, I couldn't even look at it for weeks.

So anyway don't feel silly, you are on the ball and keeping informed, that's sensible to me!

Xxx