Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

just something funny ...... a GP who cant say Vagina :/

ELLENsussex
Posted by

The GP I saw was very sweet and very young.

I had made an appointment as having had breast cancer and gone through an early menopause .... I had been warned to report any bleeding immediately.

I explained my situation, past cancer and now the vaginal bleeding.

GP ...looked very serious..... made notes on a pad and then said

When anyone , well when Ladies have er....um ...when they have ( and then she silently mouthed 'VAGINAL BLEEDING')

I ( knowing exactly what she had said ......but feeling a bit mean....) frowned and said pardon?

She squirmed and mouthed again VAGINAL BLEEDING..... this time with a pleading look in her eye - as if to say pleeease don't make me say it out loud .....

"Well" she said "we always send them for tests under the 2 week pathway" ( I knew what this was from my previous experience ....but was surprised that she did not explain.... she seemed awkward and to want to rush through the details.)

"Now! "she said .... looking very serious again....." you will get a letter .....and I don't want you to get upset .....but it may say the C word"

now Im not normally mischievous  or cruel .... but on this occasion I could not resit ...

"Really" I said looking very concerned ....... "Well that's not good.....you would think that being medical professionals you would use the word VAGINA !!!"

Poor woman ..... looked horrified .... splutters "WHAT ........NO .......OH GOD NO NOT THAT 'C' WORD"

Oh I smiled sweetly ...... You mean 'CANCER' - OK ....well I do have to tell you ....it is ok to say that word. its not like I haven't heard it before.

I left feeling naughty ..... she sat slumped ....looking like someone had just told her she might have cancer!

barbaral
Posted by

I am so lucky I have such good bladder control or I would have wet myself reading this.

mistymoley
Posted by

Haha good for you! For goodness sake, it's a medical term, why is she even a doctor?!

On a similar note, my GP referred to my "bits" the last time I was there! I was shocked, he's nearly 60!

suze99
Posted by

This has made me chuckle. How ridiculous! What on earth is going on?? How are the general public ever going to be comfortable using the correct medical words when doctors get so stressed out doing so!!

Kalliope
Posted by

My face hurts from laughing so much - you mischievous thing . I was at the Eve Appeal office only yesterday talking about how difficult it seems to be for people to say the word vagina, and how we need to improve that. We had no concept that doctors were struggling too.

*edit: I hope she'll have learned how to call a spade a spade before she sees you again!

daloni
Posted by

Hi

I hadn't realised Miranda Hart's mother was a GP....

You are very naughty but I like you 

Xx

Munk3y
Posted by

Hilarious, so funny !

They keep sending me invites to have a smear test, I do feel like turning up to  see if they can find my cervix!

ELLENsussex
Posted by

Oh dear .....I had the same thing at my annual mammogram ....

Nurse........Which side do you want to start with ?

I'm standing there topless with only one breast !

We both laughed that time.

fhgirl
Posted by

Goodness that made me laugh out loud! (Thank you as I was sitting here feeling rather anxious as I wait for my referral appointment to come through.)

x

barbaral
Posted by

I haven't laughed so much since my sister in law told the Breast Care Nurse she wanted a prosthesis with a squeaker inside (like a dog toy).

Carolyn28
Posted by

I still haven't tried shining a torch into my fake boob to see if it glows in the dark 

Who said that ... ?

Carolyn28
Posted by

mistymoley

Haha good for you! For goodness sake, it's a medical term, why is she even a doctor?!

On a similar note, my GP referred to my "bits" the last time I was there! I was shocked, he's nearly 60!

Wait what

I'm nearly 60 

I don't refer to my bits as bits ???

Kacang
Posted by

Very funny but frankly that doctor should be ashamed of herself. I worked for a very conservative chap in the early 2000s. One day, we were talking about something (can't remember what of course) and I said the word abortion. He put his hands over his ears, stamped up and down like a 2 year old and said 'oh don't use that word Lynn'. I've never quite gotten over it. 

Kalliope
Posted by

- seriously?! How absurd. 

There is SO much that I want to say about all this and I can't articulate it right now. 

Kacang
Posted by

Scariest thing  was that he was a Minister in the Australian Government!!!