Womb (uterus) cancer

A place for people affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Results of histogoly

sussexson
Posted by

Hi Everyone i hope you are all well .

It was my mums 70th birthday today and we got a call form her consultant to tell her that they had the results back form histology and it was all clear so lymph nodes etc where all ok.

After the few weeks we have had it is the best news in a shit situation but i certainly felt i could breath again.

She still needs to get over the op but she's doing really well they have told us she needs chemo which we knew anyway as she has a higher grade theres still going to be emotions high at times but i know she is feeling more positive now and so am i.

It only seems like yesterday i was on here feeling so scared but this journey so far has shown me so much and i want to say a HUGE thank you for all the ladies who have helped me and supported me so far !

Im sure ill still have 10000 questions haha but for now thank you 

xx Liam 

daloni
Posted by

Hi Liam, 

I'm so pleased to hear your mum's news. What a blessed relief - and on her birthday too. Please wish her a happy birthday from a virtual well wisher. 

Please do come back with your 10,000 questions. You know where we are. Lots of us have done chemo and can support you both. 

Have a wonderful evening 

Xxx

Fairycake
Posted by

That's fantastic news Liam! So pleased for you both. 

I'm sure the next few weeks will see you both experience a whole raft of emotions, and yes there'll be lots of questions, but for now just enjoy the good news and concentrate on your mum's recovery. As Daloni says, many of us have been through chemo and can testify that it's do-able and we're here cheering you on xx

Munk3y
Posted by

Wonderful news for you both, wishing you mum a happy birthday and best of luck xx

F1zzpop
Posted by

That's brilliant news, Liam. Continue to use this forum for the challenging days ahead. I am now 8 weeks since my final chemotherapy, I week since my last bracytherapy and I am feeling good...I too, had a grade 3 tumour. My hair is starting to grow back and the love and support I have received over the past few months have made me feel as if nothing can beat me now.

Love to both you and your mum,

Jacqui

sussexson
Posted by

Thank you so much Daloni for your support .

Cani ask is it common to have a ct scan before you start radio therapy and chemo??

I think there is talks of that maybe. 

Mum is worried about hair loss i think that will be a tough time does it allways fall out?

xx

sussexson
Posted by

Thank you so much fairycake 

You have been so supportive.

she's making a good recovery day by day just taking one stage at a time.

Next stage is radio and chemo any tips??

xx

sussexson
Posted by

Thank you so much xx

sussexson
Posted by

Hi Jaqui 

i hope you are ok.

Great to hear you are doing well thats great news.

My mum is also grade 3 so nice to know it is doable the consultant said higher grades actually respond well to treatment which is good to know.

I think they have said 6 rounds of chemo?? but she is having her meeting tomorrow with the aftercare team so far everything has been dealt with quick and well ( fingers crossed that continues )

Any tips as you have same grade as my mum? 

i know everyone is so different does hair 100% come out?

i think that will be tough for her luckily i work with wigs and she 100% said she wants one she's already planning it but I've said hold on and wait and see what the meeting has to offer ( although I'm in the mind set it will probably fall as I'm guessing as her grade is higher she will have full on one??

xx

F1zzpop
Posted by

Hi Liam,

My hair came out in clumps just 2 weeks after my first chemo...I had my hairdresser shave it short and felt quite empowered to be taking back some control. It continued to disappear along with eyelashes, nasal hair and the rest but at least there were not bits of hair lying around. Maggie's run a course called Looking Good Feeling Better which I highly recommend...you get great hints about how to apply makeup etc and you get a bag of makeup goodies to take away. I also attended a course there called Talking Heads and again looked at ways of wearing hats etc and I even customised a couple of my favourite hats by sewing in some hair implants etc. My hair is now coming back in and I am wondering what it will look like. 

Hugs to you both

Jacqui

daloni
Posted by

Hi Liam

Sorry I didn't come back to you sooner. I had the standard carbo/taxol chemo and yes my hair all came out. I had it cut short before starting chemo and went for the shave when it started falling out after a couple of weeks. I went to a workshop run by Breast Cancer Care volunteers at my chemo centre called Headstrong where I tried on headscarves and hats to see what suited. I also did the Look Good Feel Better workshop. Good fun playing with make up and I came away with a fabulous goodie bag. They have a waiting list so sign up quick. I had an NHS wig but didn't wear it much. I did wear a cotton night cap as my head got cold at night. If you click through on the breast cancer link above there's another link on that page to headwear suppliers.

I may be unusual but the hair loss didn't bother me unduly. Much more upsetting to me was the effect of chemo on my taste buds - everything tasted like the bottom of a hamster cage for weeks. I could taste things that were acidic best - so lemon water and vinegar based salad dressings. 

The doctors manage side effects very carefully these days. I had anti sickness  drugs and steroids. Brilliant. But the anti sickness drugs gave me constipation and the steroids made me hungry and angry. Watch out for this - if your mum suddenly cries because you brought her yellow flowers when you know she only likes pink ones, it's the steroids. It will pass. 

Yes it's normal to have pre treatment scans. I had one at the start, one after three cycles and another after six. This was to check how the treatment was progressing (I had some inoperable tumour they were trying to zap). I had scans before radiotherapy and that was to plan the treatment and make sure they were able to position me to hit the right places with the X-rays. I think all told I've had more than 30 CT scans during my cancer treatment. I hope your mum doesn't notch up quite that many. 

I hope this is a help. Keep asking questions 

Xx

Fairycake
Posted by

Hi sussexson

Re chemo and radio - is your mum having the chemo first? I'd suggest that each chemo day she takes something to occupy her - book/magazines or maybe an ipad/tablet. I had the notion I'd knit but once the cannula is in your hand it's nigh on impossible to do anything craft based. She might like to download some of her favourite music to an MP3 player. I always took my own picnic lunch even though a sandwich was provided, that way I could eat things I knew I liked and wouldn't make me feel nauseous. The docs should be on top of the side effects - make sure you tell them if the anti sickness meds etc aren't working.  I fond ginger helped with nausea. There will be days when your mum feels very tired - go with the flow and don't expect too much of yourselves - take it one day at a time. Some side effects such as the tiredness and fatigue are cumulative.

Try not to look too far ahead -my CNS told me to concentrate on getting through the chemo and worry about the radiotherapy later - it proved to be good advice.

No one can say how your mum will react but if she has the standard carboplatin/paclitaxel combination she'll develop a recognisable pattern of side effects and that helps you cope as you go on. I found it really helpful to countdown the treatments and to see each one as a positive step forward even though it didn't feel like it at the time.

We've all been through it and I'm sure everyone will have lots of useful hints and tips as you go through treatment. Take care x

sussexson
Posted by

Hi Fairy cake

Thank you so much for your support and info! 

I'm glad you have got through all your chemo I'm sure with the support from your close ones and your strength you have come out the other side strong! 

My mum is having the chemo first . Before the operation they knew it was womb/ cervix but when they did the operation they found small amount in vagina which bumped up to a stage 3 she is also a grade 3 appartney she has a mix cancer of endometrial and the serous one ( sorry don't know the tech name )

The lymph node samples came back clear and so did the other one in the tummy ( yet again forgot the name ) 

The doctors said that was possitive! 

They are treating the chemo first as a precaution they said! 

Whilst we await the final verdict on the vagina tumour they found them they will know exactly the treatment  plan of the radio.

She's prepared for hair loss and eye brow loss I'm not sure if that will happen but we are sorting wig etc before I'm a hairstylist luckily! 

It's a weird time as I feel like this is just a precaution but at the same time I'm worried that's it's grade 3 but I keep thinking to myself she's had the operation to remove everything and now this is just after care which is a good thing ( although it's going to be hard! 

My mum is having those drugs Exactky like you any tips would be great of what to expect of course everyone is different! 

It's crazy in a few weeks we are already on to the chemo stage which although it's scary it's actually good that the NHS are so on it her care up to now has been good ! Fingers crossed 

Xx

sussexson
Posted by

Hi Daloni 

I hope you are having a great day!

I just read your bio and it really touched me ! 

You are such a strong and amazing person ! 

I find the amount of support and advice you share with people whilst going through your journey so incrediable!

Thank you!

Mum is having that standard mix she is having this before her radio she's having 6 blasts ! 

It's a bit depressing knowing the chemo will hopefully be done by October that seems like a long time away it's going to be a long road ! 

She wrote me a letter the other day saying 

Liam this is a battle and your mum is a warrior so let the battle commence ' 

So I'm ready !

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly I'm in this now and will be supporting her all the way 

Xx

sussexson
Posted by

Hi Jacqui 

I hope you are well !

So lovely to hear from you and thank you for your advice !

It's lovely to hear your hair is coming through that must feel like a great feeling and you can have lots of fun growing it out ( I'm a hairstylist and makeup artist so mum is in good hands! 

After going through this with mum I'm 100% going to give my services to women that need some help along this journey with the beauty side of things !

I've learnt with my mum it's the fear of losing those things ( temporally ) really hits you! 

Mums lucky to have me help her with all that but some women don't and that makes me feel like I need to help more people feel as confident as they can during this time! It's hard enough as it is without the hair etc being an issue 

Big hug 

Liam x