Womb (uterus) cancer

A group for anyone affected by womb cancer (also known as uterus or endometrial cancer) to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Molar pregnancy

Sluggirl145
Posted by

Hi everyone,

I am having a trans vaginal ultrasound and hysteroscopy on Monday. I am trying to be positive but failing. Having had a molar pregnancy, 4 miscarriages and lots of other problems, I am expecting the worst. Has anyone else had experience of molar pregnancy developing into problems further down the line?  Also, am I right in thinking the hysteroscopy could be done under general anaesthetic? I have a 'convoluted' cervix and am expecting it to be really painful, I nearly screamed the place down when I had a coil put in for heavy periods a few years ago. My GP couldn't do a smear last week as my cervix was pointing backwards. Any thoughts anyone has would be helpful? Thanks so much.

64Scouse
Posted by

Hi Sluggirl ,I think it depends on the hospital some will do hysterscopy under general ,some don't.I have a tilted cervix too and have found smears very uncomfortable,they didn't give me the option of a general  .The hysteroscopy was uncomfortable but not as bad as I was expecting .I told the doctor about cervix and she was very careful .Good luck ,just because you have been unlucky before doesn't mean you will be this time .

Sandy12
Posted by

So sorry that you're going through such a worrying time , without having the extra worry of the hysteroscopy .I had similar problems, was offered a general anaesthetic on another day , but really wanted to get it over . 

So had gas and air , and was able to have the proceedure done . I do hope that all goes well for you 

With love and a big virtual hug xx

Katsil
Posted by

My sympathies sluggirl I also have or should a say had a retroverted cervix making smears etc difficult to impossible sometimes. The dr managed a hysteroscopy in the end by not using a speculum, the biopsy was inadequate. In the end I had to have a general. Good luck!

bellabongo
Posted by

Hi Sluggirl

When I had my hysteroscopy done last November, she gave me two painkilling injections into the cervix. I hardly felt them, and after that I can't recall the hysteroscopy being painful at all. The nurse kept to my head, and kept me talking to her to distract me, and it worked. So maybe a painkilling injection is available to you. I had no bother with it. See if you can discuss this with them to find out the right way to do it for you.

Alison xx

Appleseed
Posted by

Hi Sluggirl

I had a general anaesthetic for my hysteroscopy. I delayed having it for a couple of weeks because I dreaded it being painful. In the end I was told that a general was offered to most women. Phone the clinic where it will be done and discuss it with them. You should be offered a choice if there have been problems before. 

Good luck

Sally xx

Thorn
Posted by

Hi Sluggirl145,

I had a transvaginal scan and ultra sound scan December 2013, and a hysteroscopy 7th January 2014, I had injections to numb the cervix .I was also advised to take some paracetemol before hand. I had a pipelle biopsy and a polyp removed. I was given some paracetomol to take when I got home. I was not given a choice of anaesthetic. My cervix was tilted  and getting the spectlum in was a little difficult . Love and hugs Elaine xxx

Sluggirl145
Posted by

Good Evening All,

Well I made it through the hysteroscopy and it was not great but bearable. I was given the choice to come back in a week for a general anaesthetic but I just wanted to get it over with. The nurses and doctor were great, talking to me all the while. I had several polyps removed which are to be analysed and I will get the results within 2 weeks. The thickness of the lining of my uterus was 20mm, isn't this really bad as normally it should only be 2 or 3 and up to 16 just before your period? The doctor said the polyps looked fine and he thought I had  nothing to worry about, but he would just say that to stop me from worrying wouldn't he? My mind is working overtime now, and I feel I should be feeling better after what was found today, but I just don't know how I am going to get through the next two weeks....

daloni
Posted by

Hi Sluggirl145,

Well done! To be honest, I'm not sure what the level of thickness might mean but I'm pretty sure the reassuring noises are worth holding on to. For one thing, you've nothing to lose and it may make your wait easier.  For another, doctors tend to be non commital or will outright say so if they think there's something sinister going on. So either way, it sounds to me like going with this is a winner. 

As to getting through the next two weeks, there's only one way I know and that's a day at a time. Keep busy if you can. It's a brilliant opportunity for getting through all those jobs you keep putting off (although, having said that, I did realise my "keeping busy while waiting for results strategy" had got out of hand when I found myself cleaning the cat flaps....) 

I have everything crossed for you. Do let us know how you get on 

Love and hugs xxx