Vulva cancer

Affected by VIN (a pre-cancerous condition) or vulva cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

recent radical vulectomy with lymph node removal both groins

gizmom
Posted by

Hi Lila

I did have a question did you have radiation to both groins and pelvis. I was told originally that I would only need it on the side that had a bad lymph node that is why I'm confused. How long does it take to feel somewhat normal after radiation treatment as I will be working the last 2 weeks of treatment and I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. Thank you for all of your help it's greatly appreciated.

Gizmom

Lilla M
Posted by

No,mine was purely on the left side and to be honest I don’t think I could have coped with working at the same time.I was 65 when I had my treatment and retired.

gizmom
Posted by

Hi Lilla M

Thank you for the fast reply. It sounds like we have a lot in common with our cancer diagnoses. My gyne onc had told me because of the left side only involved and one lymph node that I would only need it on the one side, but when I saw the radiation onc he said I will need it both sides and pelvis and this bothers me and I still fail to understand it. I'm not sure if I want more radiation than is needed. I always wonder because of insurance costs here if they just add extra treatment for the money. I have always thought we should have universal health care and I'm not sure why it never happens. It would be great not to have to work full time to get insurance and then you are still left with unreal medical bills. I'm glad to hear you did not have to deal with that mess. I look forward to hearing from you again it helps to talk to someone who understands. I'am glad to hear you are doing well.

thank you

Gizmom

Accountantmom
Posted by

Hi Gizmom- radiation is actually the worst for the last 2 weeks of treatment and then the next 2-3 weeks afterwards as the effects are cumulative. It takes about 6 weeks to feel pretty normal, although my doc said 6 months to get back to pre-illness baseline. There’s fatigue and possibly some other lingering side effects. It would have been impossible for me to have worked during treatment and a month or so afterwards and I have a desk job. The skin pain and diarrhea were bad - I couldn’t really walk around much and I am otherwise healthy. Everyone is different though - talk to your doc and see what he  is expecting. Best of luck!

Prayers for all of you ladies!
Accountantmom