Vulva cancer

Affected by VIN (a pre-cancerous condition) or vulva cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Aldara for VIN 1

xali1981
Posted by

Hi everyone. I’m new here but would really appreciate your help. I am 38 years old, hpv 16. I had CIN 1 and had 2 cryos done.  Now I have been diagnosed with VIN 1 two months ago.  I have multi focal lesions in my inner labia.  The dr prescribed me Aldara, the itching is terrible.  She says I have to use it for a loooong time.  I am starting to see my inner labia a bit red and swollen in some parts I didn’t have swollen. I stopped using Aldara for 4 days because I want to see if it is a reaction of Aldara , or if my VIN is “moving” to other places. Have any of you had success with Aldara anda VIN1? Or is hpv16 too aggressive for Aldara to work?  Is there a way of knowing if Aldara is working? How long can you use it?  If I have two months using it , and don’t seem to get better, does it mean it won’t work for me at all. Or should I continue using it just like my doctor says. ... can a woman still have sex if she has a vulvectomy ? Clitoris removed? ... thanks 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with VIN 1. It must be very distressing for you and it's natural to want to know how other people have coped using Aldara (Imiquimod) cream.

I don't have any experience with this but I noticed that your post had gone unanswered and thought you might like to join in with this recent thread.

Wishing you all the best with your treatment

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Kuma
Posted by

Hi, xali1981

I have been on Aldara cream for 8 weeks(using 3x a week). I am also HPV16 and 18 positive and had a history of vaginal cancer. I went to see a doctor today to get checked up. It looks like it may be working, I used to have itchy inside my vagina which looks like VIN2-3, then the itchy stopped after using cram. I only have mild irritation, so I am told to keep using another 8 weeks.

I had 5 surgeries to remove those VIN3 and was about to have another surgery, but I just wanted to give it a try before that. But my doctor says if you have side effect badly, you should stop it and let a doctor know, every person has different reaction.

I would talk to your doctor if you should continue to use.

Best wishes,

Kuma

Jooles4
Posted by

Hi, this is my first post. I’m so glad to be able to see the stories of others on a similar journey to my own. I had cervical cancer 1a1 two years ago which was removed with two LEEP procedures. A recent biopsy has diagnosed me with a large area of VIN & VAIN 3. This goes inside my vagina up to about an inch inside. I have just been prescribed Imiquimod/Aldara and Lidocaine. 

Reading the information leaflets it says not to use either of them internally but this is what I have been told to do. Feeling a bit unsure as how and when to use the Lidocaine. I remember being told not to use them together. I think I need to ring them again to check. 

I am really scared to start using it, as if it fails to work then I have to have surgery. Also I want to get some action in with my husband before things potentially become too sore. Has anyone managed to keep up sex during Imiquimod treatment? (obviously on cream off days)

Also if anyone can explain the best way to use the Lidocaine that would be most reassuring.

Thanks

Julia x