Vin3

• 24 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi all,  I'm new to this group but not new to Macmillan. Had a vulvar biopsy on 7th February and today I received letter confirming Vin3,  classic P16 diffusely positive (whatever that means).  Consultant also advised it is pre cancer and no evidence of cancer Fingers crossedBeen told will be removed by surgery.  Also received preop appointment.  

Scary stuff, not sure how I feel or what's  going to happen.  Anyone out there who can offer advice, support ....anything, then please let me know.  Thanks in advance.   xox

• Hi ,

Thank you for making contact, it's nice to hear from you.

I am so pleased that your biopsy has shown clear margins and no evidence of cancer, that is great news.

I can totally relate to all of the 'but's' or 'what if's' as I call them! I think it is only natural to worry, but my consultant said I will be closely monitored and if there is anything suspicious then they will remove it straight away. Hopefully your consultant will offer to see you regularly too as I have found that it helps. I can only speak for myself, but I didn't have any further treatment. There is a chance it will return, but there is also a chance it won't return. With time it has become easier to shift my focus from worrying about it returning, to being hopeful that it wont return. I too read through the posts on here and as valuable as they were, I too scared myself. I think it is important to remember that not all cases return and that people are more likely to reach out for support when things are difficult and that many of the success stories probably feel less in need of the support offered on places like this website. 

You can access some information about VIN by clicking this link. With regards to what questions to ask, I have found it useful to make notes on the kinds of things that I want to ask as and when I think of them. Then I make a list before my appointment so that I don't forget any of them. I guess questions are different for different people, but for me, I wanted to know how often my check ups would be and who I should contact if I had any concerns- eg any new symptoms. I did ask what the likelihood of it returning was, but they couldn't really answer that, but that did say the chances were low. I think the thing to remember is that there's no such thing as a silly question. If you would like to know the answer then its an important question. 

I see my consultant in July too!  I hope your appointment goes well and your consultant is able to answer your questions and reassure you.

Always here if you want to chat or have any questions. 

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Vulva Cancer Warrier, 

How are you?  

I attended my appointment last week.  It was with the surgeon who I vaguely remembered.  He confirmed margins were all clear.  I will have checkups every 6 months for 5 years and then annually for a further 5 years.

Didn't  get an opportunity to ask any questions.  He said I should check myself every month and if I notice any changes I must contact his secretary immediately. If I'm honest, I actually found him a bit 'brutal'.  So much so it took most of the weekend to get over it.  

Wish I could say my mind was at ease but 10 years is a long time... feel as if I am walking a long, long plank!!

One problem is my eyesight isn't that great!!  Checking is difficult for me.   I've  heard about a photo app which keeps personal photos private,  so thinking about finding more info about that.  Are you aware of this app?

How did you get on at your appointment?  I really hope everything went well for you.  

Take good care of yourself.

Pariscat xx

• Hi ,

Sorry for the slow reply, I completely missed this come through. 

I am so pleased that he was able to confirm clear margins. 

It sounds as though he is thorough. They all seem to have different rules and guidelines. 10 years is a long time, but on the flip side of that it could offer some reassurance to be seen once a year for the last 5 years. 

Sorry he was a bit brutal. I have to say, I’ve found some consultants to be very matter of fact and it doesn’t always sit comfortably!

I have an app that looks like a calculator, but requires a password to get into it and it stores photos. Another thing that I have is a small, handheld mirror with a built in light. I find that helps when examining myself. 

I got on well thank you Slight smile. All is well and I am to go back in 6 months. 

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

• Hi Vulval Cancer warrier,

Good to hear from you and delighted  your appointment went wellThumbsup

Thanks for the advice.  I have one of those magnifying mirrors but my eyesight not brilliant.  I'm going to try using the app and  hopefully that will be easier for me.

Pariscat xx

• Hi ,

Thank you! 

How have you been? 

Hopefully you will have better luck with the app. Zooming in after taking the photo definitely helps. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

• Hi Vulval Cancer warrior,

How are you?

Recently attended my 2nd appointment for vin 3 and results have shown there is no evidence of any concerns all clear.  Phew!!  Next appointment in July 2023.

Have you has the results of your appointment.  Hope everything is OK for you.  

Pariscat  Xx

• Hi  ,

It is lovely to hear from you Slight smile

Fabulous news following your most recent check up! 

All was fine at my last check up, so I am also going back in July for my next routine check up. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

• Hi Vulval Cancer Warrier,

So very nice to hear from you.

Great to hear your check up was OK.   

Good news for both of us.

Pariscat xx

• Hi  ,

Thank you. Take care of yourself too and please do make contact at any point if you wish to. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

• I am currently awaiting a biopsy for a suspicious lump on my labia. It started as a small pea size and has grown - definitely becoming more noticeable. I saw dermatology on Tuesday - does anyone know how long the wait normally is for a biopsy?? Also had HPV for 3 consecutive years now, with alot of the symptoms and just feeling really anxious :( xx