Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

LID - Day one...

arzosahr
Posted by

Sorry, I can't seem to help it at the moment, I think partly because I'm still feeling poorly after last week and probably still feeling the effects of no T3 for almost 3 weeks - so although not too bad physically, my biggest effects seem to be my mood/depression.  Started T4 yesterday. I've had my bloods done now and rung the hospital and had to leave a message on an answerphone for the consultant.  I'm hoping that maybe it's related to my calcium supplements or lack of T3 for 3 weeks that is causing a problem and therefore easy to sort out. Naturally with emotions everywhere I'm instantly thinking the worst, but they have my bloods for testing and I have my WBS on Weds afternoon, so i'm hoping the team will be able to have a look at all of them together and work out what is going on.

arzosahr
Posted by

Ok so my bloods from monday came back with slightly increased creatine levels than my last reading. Trying not to stress, I have my WBS this afternoon so i'm going to ask the radiologist if either my coming off T3, LID or the RAI may have had an impact.

I'm a bit annoyed as this was only flagged from my bloods taken pre-RAI  AFTER i'd had my RAI treatment !  Surely they should have checked all my results before giving me RAI?!

Hopefully it's a temporary blip that can be sorted out, but I need to ask the questions to get some reassurance. I have to have another blood test next week and have been asked not to take any Ibruprofen (bearing in mind I've not taken any painkillers in about a month now!).

Sorry for the ranting, but i'm fuming at the moment!

dlmoral
Posted by

Hi i don’t know if anyone else is still on here but i’ve came across this and i need help! are slightly salted rice cakes ok? i’ve just had one with all natural almond butter! no salt or sugar added on that but i’m scared now i will totally fail this! also are mushrooms ok?! this diet sucks and it’s so confusing! please help!

Lass
Posted by

Hey there dimoral, 

Welcome to the forum. We're very active, but I'm guessing you found this thread from a Google search? If you click above on the thyroid cancer, you'll see the main group and all the threads that are going. 

So, first question for you, and one that I need to know the answer to before I can explain anything else. Sooooooo...... What country do you live in? Lol. LID has different rules in different countries, because each country has different additives in their foods. 

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

dlmoral
Posted by

Hi i’m sorry i’m from Illinois! i’m just having a hard time and i started sunday! it’s been tough! i’ve been eating fruits yea mostly fruits! i am eliminating meats. ive has a rice cake lightly salted 15mg sodium and i feel awful! i probably shouldn’t have! i’m scared i’m going to fail this! i ate 1/2 mushrooms with spinach! 

Lass
Posted by

I had a feeling you were from America. 

I'm afraid we're a UK based site, which doesn't mean you're not welcome I hasten to add! We've a very international member base. The problem is that our expertise is in the UK standards and treatments etc. So for LID here, all we need to not eat is seafood/fish/seaweed, egg yolks, and dairy. That's it, because our government don't add iodine to things.

So I know you can't have bread, table salt, anything processed, and then the same things as us. So the safest thing for you to do is cook everything from scratch. Don't eat anything that's prepared or premade.

For resources, I know there's a FB group called LID life that's supposed to be quite good. Then there's also a LID recipe book for Americans... Let me see if I can find it for you....

https://www.thyca.org/pap-fol/lowiodinediet/

There you go, US guidelines and a free download able cookbook for you. 

As it says on there, it's low iodine, not no iodine. So don't stress, and just do what you can! The doctors are all debating as to whether LID actually makes a difference or not. So some hospitals here don't have patients follow it at all. 

Good luck, and shout if I can help at all or you've any questions! 

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh