Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

LID - Day one...

Mrs baguette
Posted by

hi

wished i'd known about the reasearch one week earlier, might need it again in 6months + so copying it, merci

Honestly, make double portions and freeze for the 2nd week, especially the last days. keep busy with other things after a few days of LID  so it's not so obsessing, don't u think?. 

home made bread was great, on 2nd loaf , i added walnuts to make it more like a treat, sliced with honey : tres bon. 

biscuit recipe was ok but i added nuts and sugar, who heard of so called biscuits without sugar!

in hospital they didn't cater for LID so took a few things till the day after i got the iodine pill. u see, had to go one day earlier, they won't start till they get the result from the blood test they take first thing.

i looooooove meat, wonder which one u shopped for ...

x BaGuEtTe x a tous les repas ;-)

arzosahr
Posted by

Hey all, Well it's day 6, no major problems - starting to get a bit tired I think, but i'll just have to go with the flow...

Things are ticking over, trying to keep busy and not dwell too much at the moment - I'm naturally a pessimistic sort which doesn't help!

I was starting to worry about my calcium levels dropping - as I have cut dairy and soya out, but I'm still taking my prescribed Calcium supplements (calcichew and alfacal), added to which I am using the Oatly Milk drink with added Calcium with my granola and in my hot drinks to try and keep my levels from dropping too much!

Couple of things about Oatly - I decided to strain it into a Jug using a tea strainer to take out as many of the floating oat fibres as possible. Also pour your hot drink first then add the Oatly, as it seems to not taste as nice if you pour the Oatly and then add the hot drink.  Not sure why?!

Also to let you all know that I used the good food olive oil bread recipe (thanks Barbaral!). Having never made bread before I wasn't expecting much - I am so chuffed with the end result though!  I used Spelt flour as there was only trace Salt and Splenda instead of sugar! So my loaf was Fish, Gluten, Sugar, Dairy, Soya, Egg and Iodine free!

I got a little impatient to try it so didn't let it cool enough before slicing, so I made it crumble a bit - sooooooo good with some golden syrup though!  Never new I would miss bread!  Home made soup tomorrow courtesy of mother, so I now have bread for dipping!  I can see this loaf won't be lasting long!  Might try another loaf in the week as I have a pack of Rice flour to use as well (again gluten free). Will let you know how that turns out too ;)

-Rich

barbaral
Posted by

Pretty loaf - well done. I don't think I could have been more proud of my first loaf if I'd personally given birth to it.

Jeez, that's pretty extreme. There's nothing about white flour or sugar that you should be concerned about - at least not from an LID perspective. If you have some other reason for wanting to make your life difficult, no problem, but no need at all to ruin a good loaf of bread by leaving out salt (uniodised) or sugar.

I would say leave off the rice flour - seriously that's not going to make you a decent loaf. Take it from me - I work for one of the world's biggest bakery supplies companies and rice flour won't kill a cake but it'll sure as hell not be an adequate substitute in bread.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

arzosahr
Posted by

Don't panic! I'm not cutting out salt completely, I'm just avoiding anything with salt as an ingredient unless I can be sure it's not sea salt or iodised (ie. processed foods).  Used the spelt and splenda to make the loaf gluten and sugar free on purpose - members of my family are gluten intolerant and diabetic, so I wanted them to be able to have some ;)  As for salt, I used 2 tsps of non-iodised table salt as per the recipe.  Turned out quite well, and tastes good too!

Ooooh one question though... might seem silly, but can you make bread using just basic plain white or brown flour, or does it have to be one marked as "strong bread flour."  Just wondering how cheaply you could make your own loaf - ie. using supermarket value flour for example?!

barbaral
Posted by

You could make bread with almost anything but it won't be much good.

You need strong bread flour - the protein levels in the value flours isn't high enough. It'll make a loaf but not a very good one. If you buy it in the larger bags, it's really not too expensive and certainly a lot cheaper than Spelt (which I'm sure you know isn't gluten free, only lower gluten).

A large loaf will usually only have a couple of spoons of sugar in it - it's probably better to just use less than to go with Splenda. The sugar is there to 'feed' the yeast, not to make it taste nice, and you could get a lower volume loaf if you leave it out.

Best wishes

Barbara

Feefraser
Posted by

So impressed with the photos of your your bread. I admit I am no domestic goddess. I have copped out and gone to my local Whole foods supermarket today and asked could they make me bread with Himalayan pink salt (which they sell there loads of diff kinds), I got the nicest baker ever who offered to try lots of different breads for me and could not be more helpful.

I was thinking I was to be on the diet for three weeks but have noticed everyone on here is doing two weeks. Think I might have this next week as a preperation week. I thought this was going to be easy but until you look into what you can and can't eat you don't realise the amount of planing and thought that goes into shopping and meals.

Learning loads from these posts I may not comment often but just popping on the find out other words of wisdom in invaluable.

Thanks x from Fee x

barbaral
Posted by

Just wanted to update that my titchy little attempt at giving up something in solidarity with my LID buddies has just reached the one week mark.

Actually it might be longer but the first 7 days of Lent are officially chocolate free despite a German friend sending me a box of luxury Lindt chocs and one of the colleagues here in the French office bringing round a BIG bag of chocs this afternoon.

It's no big sacrifice but I'm sticking to it so far.

Best wishes

Barbara

arzosahr
Posted by

Hi All, 

Just to say i'm still here mooching about - not a lot to report really. I'm noticing that I'm getting muddled every so often and my energy levels drop by the end of the day, but again, nothing major at the moment - this time next week I should hopefully have had my pill and gained spidey-like superpowers!

Had a major panic earlier and ended up ringing the radiology dept at Royal Cornwall Hospital...

As you may or may not know, whilst on LID i've been having granola and muesli each day and some potatoes, and I found an alternative to milk that is basically from pressed oats.  I had an email from a friend who'd read that oats and potatoes contain iodine - I freaked out a bit and tried to find something on google - i'm wondering now if this was an american article perhaps?

Anyways, I rang the hospital in a blind panic (I'm on Day 8, and would be devastated to have mucked up my LID and to only realise now!). She put me on hold for a few minutes to do some checking and came back to say oats and potatoes weren't on the restricted list so I should be ok for RAI next Tuesday. PHEW!  Here's hoping!!

Rich

arzosahr
Posted by
Still ticking over at the moment, just wondering when the effects will kick in? Worried now that something isn't right as I'm not feeling too bad without my tablets and iodine ;( Nice that i'm not getting any major withdrawal effects, but i do worry.
Kazzyx2
Posted by

Hi Rich, don't worry too much, some people don't get so badly affected, I think we had Yvonne a few weeks back saying that she hardly felt any effects. Do remember though that your TSH is climbing rapidly now so not the best time to do anything that requires quick responses. I would guess that by about day 11-12 you WILL feel something but who knows, maybe not.

Kazzy

arzosahr
Posted by

Thanks Kazzyx2!

I can see that not being on T3 is having an effect, mainly because I finally shaved off my god-awful beard (never had one before, never want one again!). And no real growth since Monday.  I have to admit i'm yawning more, have a shorter attention span and probably a bit more irritable, but that could be down to either my worrying, lack of T3, being on LID or all of the above lol.

I have RAI on Tuesday 6th and WBS on 12th.  Is there a set length of time that it takes for results - my next oncology appointment isn't until 19th April (am I jumping the gun by wanting to ask for an earlier appointment?)

Trying to occupy myself still, so that I don't dwell but is difficult - still trying to get out and about, but not being able to drive and living in the sticks means my options are limited. The bus fare to the nearest town is £7.15 (approx 7 miles), which quite frankly I found shocking considering the state of public transport down here!

Anyways rant over ;)

-Rich

Lavandula
Posted by
Where the bloody hell do you live? Right in the south I bet. Costs me about £4.60 for a day rider and I can go anywhere in West Yorkshire, Lancs' and greater Manchester! Thats value. Do you play video games? I plan to pass my time on LID playing Skyrim on Xbox, my work colleagues have all lent me so many books & DVDs I dunno how I'll ever watch them all too! Hope you find something to keep you entertained.
barbaral
Posted by

There are two parts to being able to interpret your results - the scan itself and the stimulated blood test. The blood test can take several weeks depending on whether your hospital does the analysis in house or sends out to another hospital. My worst wait was something like NINE weeks - though I think the results got lost in the system somewhere.

If you get a clear scan but don't have the blood results you don't know if it's clear because there's nothing there or clear because it didn't work. That's why the blood test is needed to give you the thyroglobulin result. If that's also low then pop the corks and celebrate.

In view of the time for the blood tests, you don't want to push your appointment TOO much earlier.  Keep in mind you've got Easter in the middle and some of the docs might not be working so much round that time. Sure, try and see if they can do a week earlier but I wouldn't nag for too much earlier.

Fingers crossed for your results

Barbara

Best wishes

Barbara

Feefraser
Posted by

Arzosahr just thought I would drop you a quick message to say good luck for tomorrow. Hope your feeling ok and your time in isolation passes quickly.  I am two weeks behind you having just stopped the t3 and started the LID, thanks for your posts I have taken a lot of information I will use from them over the next two weeks.

From Fee x

Woolymammoth
Posted by
Hey all! Good luck for tomorrow Rich be thinking of you and hope that all goes smoothly for you. Well done for the past two weeks, I'm catching up but it sounds like you've down ally well with the LID! I've had my first Thyrogen injection today and have my WBS on Friday . Looking forward to hearing how you've got on and praying for good results all round. Barbara-hope alls good with you and your sis is ok Els xx