Critical Illness Insurance

My apologies if this topic has been discussed before in this group...

I wondered if anyone had Critical Illness cover in place when they were diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer and, if so, did the policy pay out?

Many thanks

• Hi,

My wife's insurer agreed to the claim yesterday, so although the different policies will no doubt vary a little, I would agree that on the whole they will pay out for thyroid cancer.

Good luck with your claims.

Henry.

H.

• so happy for you ,can i know please what is the name your critical illness insurance company as 2 of my friend did not get it.

• Hi Marry, the insurance companies were Bupa (now Friends Life - or something like that) and Aegon. Let me know if you've any other questions and I'll do my best to help..

H.

• My company was Scottish Provident and I have finally had the letter to say they are going to pay out. In my case a monthly amount til the end of the policy in 12 years. Saves me having to do the investment etc. and I have resigned from work - a lovely feeling. So what next? The world is my oyster!

My cancer was stage 3 but I have no idea if this influenced the outcome. As I said about a month ago the policy just stated that it had to be malignant and invasive.

Best wishes to all of you as you wait to hear about yours.

Jane

• Hi, I had insurance with friends life and they paid out. I had half my thyroid removed and had a small cancer in the removed part. It was very easy to claim and took about 4 months to payout. Good luck xx

• I have critical illness insurance with aviva and I have just heard from them they will pay out!!  I have had thyroidectomy and neck dissection. Small cancer in thyroid and bigger one in lymph node. 

I am so so relieved that they are going to pay me as I haven't worked for 4 months and was pretty much destitute. Now this allows me to pay off the bills run up and takevwork a little more easy going into the future. I was surprised they agreed to pay as like most people I expected them to wiggle out of it. 

Thyroid cancer warrior

• I’ve got critical illness insurance with aviva and was diagnosed with papilliary with lymp node spread and aviva paid out on my critical illness in full! I thought the same as barbara initially that you needed to be terminal but that certainly isnt the case. I believe if its spread anywhere they’ll pay out even if that is only into the nodes which is very common. Hope this helps

• Hello, Has anyone got a critical illness policy with Scottish Widows & did they pay out for thyroid cancer?  what happens to your life insurance policy? so many questions.  only diagnosed in Nov and had Total Thyroidectomy, which has resulted in left sided vocal cord paralysis 

• Hey TJ, 

Sorry to hear about the problems with your voice. Just wondering, have you been referred to a speech therapist? 

Regarding the insurance, even if it paid out for someone else, it might not pay out for you - and vice versa. They look at all the details of each individual case and make a decision. So one person's experience might not be yours I'm afraid.

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.