We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Thyroxine brand

markwade28
Posted by

I recently changed pharmacy. The new provider has issued my prescription with Levothyroxine manufactured by Teva, previously I have used levothyroxine made by Mercury Pharma or Almus.

I am aware that there have been some concerns raised around changing manufacturer From time to time and particular concerns relating to Teva some time ago. Is it safe to switch between manufacturers or are they all so similar that I should have no concern?

Thanks

Mark

Mark

Runner25
Posted by

Hi Mark

I have been on thyroxine for just over a year and had various brands and noticed no difference between them.

Runner

Megane1973
Posted by

Hi Mark. 

Teva used to give me blistering headaches, I asked my pharmacist to change the brand if possible and touch wood for the time being I have been OK but we are all different so others might be OK taking teva. I'm currently a northstar branded levo.

Hope you get sorted.  Take care 

Lass
Posted by

Hey there Mark,

There's no difference in the active ingredient between the different brands, the thing that does sometimes change are the fillers. However, the doses of filler in the tiny tablets are miniscule, so really shouldn't affect you in any way at all.  So taking one brand or another shouldn't have any effect, and no brand is superior to another.

Hope that helps!

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.