We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Prescriptions available for thyroid cancer

NikLouise
Posted by

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, and wondered whether it'll be possible to get iodine and supplements to boost immunity on prescription?

Also, it'd be great to know what I can get on prescription. There's seems to be little to no help unless I remove my thyroid as per their suggestion. Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks in advance.

Nik

Lass
Posted by

Hey there Nik, 

Welcome to the forum, though I'm sorry you need to be here. 

What is it you're trying to boost your immunity against exactly? Because most supplements that claim to boost the immune system are just money making schemes with very little benefit to someone taking them. Vaccinations help your immune system against specific diseases, but other than that I don't think there's much out there with scientific backing.

Regarding iodine, have your levels been found to be low? If so, they'll probably first recommend a dietary change to boost your levels before resorting to supplements. Only if your levels are low and a diet change doesn't lift the levels would they then prescribe iodine. Iodine will not cure thyroid disease, nodules, or cancer.

The cure for thyroid cancer is removing the half with the cancer, then taking it from there depending on what the histology shows. There's nothing that can be prescribed that will cure or help. 

I've obviously assumed a few things here from what you've posted, because you've not given any background or reasons for your questions. So if I've assumed anything incorrectly, then please do let me know. I'm also interested to know what has brought you here, asking what you're asking, and why you don't want to take the doctors advice. So if you'd like to chat, then I'm here! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

NikLouise
Posted by

Hi there Lass

Thanks for the welcome, and your attempt to help.

Unfortunately, some of the information you have provided is very mis-informed.  Thyroid issues are an auto-immunne issue, as is cancer. At the heart of both, the immune system is significantly compromised and in the case of cancer, the cells are attacking the other cells. Good quality supplements are necessary, especially as I am plant-based.  They do work. For example, I am taking I done which is necessary fr thyroid sufferers.  You’ll find that vaccines are the money-making product, and they, in fact, lower the immune system.  A vaccine is trying to replace teh job of the immune system...

I have been plant-based for several years, and stress has sparked my thyroid issues.  My cancer has been caused by the same but also practical dietary issues I am now working on - even as someone plant-based. 

Removing the thyroid is not the only cure for cancer or thyroid issues.  Alternative treatments do the same, as you’ve alluded to in your previous paragraph about changing my diet/lifestyle.

What I was really asking is, whether or not I am able to get any of my medications on prescription. It would seem that only what the NHS prescribe if they were giving me their medication. I just wanted that clarified.

Thanks for attempting to help.

Nik

Lass
Posted by

Hey there Nik, 

I'm afraid on this site we stick to the NHS guidelines and facts as held by the majority of the medical community. Sadly, when it comes to the thyroid and thyroxine, there are a number of theories and opinions held around the world that do not follow general practice. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, and to follow the route they feel is right for themselves, but here we stick with the NHS. 

This forum deals with thyroid cancer, and not really with thyroid disease. So my response is based on thyroid cancer and the way in which it is treated and dealt with by the NHS.

As it stands with the NHS, to cure thyroid cancer you need to remove at least the half of the thyroid with the tumour in it. After that, it comes down to what the lump looked like in the histology as to whether or not further treatment is required. Some people are classed as cured after just the operation, some need further treatment before they are classed as cured, and some are found to be incurable. 

So as I mentioned above, the NHS will only prescribe what you need by their guidelines. As you don't appear to need anything as found by blood tests etc, then I'm afraid they wouldn't prescribe it to you.

Good luck on your chosen path, I hope you find what you're looking for. 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.