Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Worried

Mimismum
Posted by

Hi I’ve been feeling very unwell for months. I had an ultrasound on my thyroid a couple of weeks ago as I have a large lump in my neck. I saw the doctor on Monday and I have to have a biopsy. I’m really scared and don’t know how I’m going to wait up to 2 weeks for an appointment! 
thanks for listening x

Runner25
Posted by

Sorry you have found yourself here.

I don’t have great knowledge but something like 90% of lumps are non cancerous so try not too worry. You will have been sent for a FNA which is when they use a very small needle to extract some cells from your thyroid. It’s is uncomfortable but over very quickly, in my case they took a sample from a lymph node as well. Unfortunately you then have to wait for the results, in my case it was 3 weeks but every hospital is different. 

I remember being in your situation and it is very difficult to think of anything else, but do remember most lumps are non cancerous. 

Lass
Posted by

Heya

How's it going? Have you had your appointment yet?

Lass

xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Mimismum
Posted by

Hi x thanks for asking. I’ve had a ct scan and I had biopsy yesterday so just waiting for results x x