Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Worried about my Mom

lolabean
Posted by

Hi Daniel 

Very sorry to hear this about your mum. I haven't any experience of this type, but my thought would be to give Kate Farnell a call at the Butterfly Thyroid Cancer Trust. There is always hope in everything, great you and your GP are seeking that hope. 

All the best 

Lolabean :) 

Lass
Posted by

Hey Daniel, 

Sorry to hear that the worst is almost confirmed. 

It's definitely a good idea to see what other options are out there and lolabean is right to recommend you speak to Kate. I was going to post her contact details here, but I see she already found you on Twitter. So definitely get in touch with her before anyone else. If there's anything that can be done, she'll know about it. 

I hope she's doing better after the infection and is continuing to improve. My fingers are definitely crossed for her. 

Just as a reminder, make sure you're looking after yourself at this time too. It's easy to focus on the one with the diagnosis and forget about yourself until it's too late and you've made yourself ill too. So make sure to take some time and check in on yourself each day too. 

Good luck, and you know where we are if you need to vent or chat! 

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Mark_30_19
Posted by

Thank you all for your help. Sadly my Mom passed away Tuesday morning after a short but terrible battle with Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer. She was given 3-6 months but unfortunately lasted two weeks. My Mom was transferred to a hospice on Sunday to see if they could help with her breathing but unfortunately she never returned home.

my family is devastated how quickly this has all happened- it feels like a bad dream how this horrific disease took hold of my Mom in such a short period.

I hope that there will soon be treatments for this evil cancer to give people hope.

I wish you all the best.

Mark

Minouche
Posted by

Dear Mark

I’m so terribly sorry to see your devastating news. The only way you can think about it, is that she didn’t suffer long with this. To watch your mum deteriorating over the next few months would have been soul destroying.

Sending you a big hug.

Lis xxx 

Minouche

Living in Mexico

Lass
Posted by

Hey there Mark, 

I am so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time. 

If you need to talk, we're here. Alternatively there is a group on the forum for people who have lost family to cancer, so you'll be able to talk to people in similar situations to yourself. 

Take care of yourself. 

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Megane1973
Posted by

Hi mark.

I am so so sorry to hear this .

Sending you my deepest condolances and a massive hug to you and family. xx

Kit1952
Posted by

Hello Mark,

I'm a new member and haven't been involved with your posts but just wanted to offer my sincere condolences at this difficult a very painful time for you and your family.

My best wishes

Kit x

Mark_30_19
Posted by

Thank you all for your support.

Do you know where I can find the group where people have lost loved ones? 

Daniel

Lass
Posted by

Hey there Daniel, 

If you click the following link, it'll take you to the group:

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/bereaved_friends/

Lass

Xx