Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Pre-RAI Recipes

Ajs46
Posted by

Hi Barbaral.

Someone mentioned on here that she'd found your recipes for hoummus and guacamole and had used them as part of the low iodine diet before RAI and they were really good so could I have them please?

Only started yesterday but am already struggling a bit!

Can you eat lentils and beans too as my information sheet doesn't mention them but does say chicken is OK?

Any other recipes from anyone would be most welcome please :-)

Also, are lemon drops the best sweets to bring in with you to RAI and if so where's the best place to get them as I tried a sweet shop and they only had fruit drops?

Thank you.

Ajs x 

barbaral
Posted by

Hi

I'm always thrilled when people want my recipes. These saw me through two LIDs. I also recommend home made bread with chopped tomatoes / onion / herbs to make Bruschetta

The thread you are looking for is here. I made this >6 years ago and would probably say don't bother with the fancy salt - just buy something uniodised.

My sweets of choice were Haribo tangfastics - they make you salivate like a camel.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

Ajs46
Posted by

Thank you ever so much, Barbara. That's great. I'll have a look at that thread.

I will definitely buy lots of Haribo Tangfastics. I guess the upside of being in isolation is that noone's going to see the strange faces you make as you eat them! :-)

I did buy a breadmaker and have never used it so I guess now is the time! :-)

Thanks again as always, Barbara.

Best wishes 

Ajs x

barbaral
Posted by

This is my favourite hand-made bread recipe - it's so easy I could even do it when I was pre-RAI hypo.

It's pretty much foolproof.

But actually if you're in the UK industrial bread is just fine. You don't need to go to the trouble of making your own. The worries about bread come from the USA where they still use iodate dough conditioners that have been illegal in most of the world for decades (yep, I'm a bread and bakery bore - it's my job)

Have fun and eat well.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

safcfi85
Posted by

Hi Ajs

I know LID is a bit restrictive but I found there were quite a few things I could enjoy - definitely try the guacamole and hummus. I also did the homemade bread which I understand isn’t necessary but it’s nice! I also enjoyed chicken roasted in the oven with chilli and lime juice - nice with salad or veg.

Do you have slow cooker? I know it’s not really the weather for stews and things but pork shoulder, a tin of pineapple (I think that’s okay on LID but please somebody correct me if I’m wrong) and some chopped ginger (I used frozen) leave it on low for eight hours then shred, serve it roast potatoes and veg or homemade chips. 

Another slow cooker recipe I used was chicken breast x4, minced garlic x4teaspoons, chopped onion x1, chopped large tomatoes x4, chopped basil x4 tablespoons, 250ml water leave it on low for 6 hours then shred - it’s a bit watery but quite nice with pasta or rice which I was told you could have. 

More convenient things were fresh fruit, matzo crackers and 100% nut butter, the homemade bread with avocado and/or honey. 

I hope this helps x 

Fi.  X