Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Life without a thyroid

Sarahjane87
Posted by

Thankyou for the reply tigerlily.. did you find your body adapted quick to the thyroxine? What an amazing job you have! x 

Sarahjane87
Posted by

Hi Fi 

Thankyou so much for the reply that’s good to hear... we’re you able to lift your 1 year old after your op? Do you need to have rai? I’m glad you’ve been okay on thyroxine..I just hope im okay on it I’m very energetic and a bit worried it might change that x 

tigerlilly13
Posted by

Sarajane I'm very lucky there has been little change in my dose. I started on 150mcg and still on it now.  There has been a few minor changes here and there. I adapted pretty quickly. I do have periods of feeling exhausted and blame the thyroxine but in reality I was probably over doing things lol. 

I do struggle with weight loss but I can be quite lazy at times. So its 50:50 for who or what is at fault. 

Just take it very easy for the first few weeks until the wound heals then try to do a bit more each day. I'm a stubborn person and didn't let it get in my way.  I can remember being drunk in a night club showing a creepy guy my open wound to get rid of him. It took over 3 months for my wound to heal as a result of the infection.

I know I have the best job ever getting to care for these amazing tiny humans. They were my inspiration for getting on with things quickly. My whole cancer issues is nothing compared to what these tiny preemie babies have to get through. If they can do it than so can I.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

X

Hexhamlass
Posted by

Hi

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I had a total thyroidectomy at the end of December. I had been fit and well and noticed a lump in my neck. All went well except for some fluid at the op site which was aspirated. I too read that you after a few weeks you would be back to normal. It was longer than that for me but I am in my 60s. But I could do most things around the house pretty soon. Just needed to rest. 

But since recovering from the op, I have felt so well. I take my thyroxine first thing in the morning. I have loads of energy - probably more now than before and I’m finding it easier to control my weight. I’m not at all depressed. I consider myself very lucky. 

Be patient in those early weeks - it’s major surgery - and then you’ll be able to enjoy your little girl as she grows. 

Hexhamlass

Sarahjane87
Posted by

Thankyou that’s great to hear it hasn’t affected your energy levels.im 31 so hoping age is on my side with it x 

Sarahjane87
Posted by

Thankyou , ahh I know these little babies are tough cookies x 

Bloggs72
Posted by

Sarahjane87,

Just wanted to say that I was also really worried about life on thyroxine. I read loads of awful stories on the internet! I do lots of competitive running and have always been full of energy but presumed that I wouldnt be able to do running anymore, how wrong I was, in fact have even managed several personal best times during races since! 

I definitely have the same amount of energy as before.

Sarahjane87
Posted by

Thankyou for replying..well done on your personal bests.its so nice to hear that life can be the same without a thyroid x

jto
Posted by

Hey Sarah Jane,

I did get home yesterday and am at my parents’ house being looked after with my 3 month old and my partner has my little boy at home.  

Feeling better already even after such a short time.  Don’t get me wrong, it was hard and I was all over the place emotionally - had a good cry when I came home yesterday! But at least the op is done.  Nor for more waiting and the RAI...

The op took about 4.5 hrs - but this can vary - I’ve heard some take less and someone on here was told 6 hrs so will just depend.  The main thing is that they get it all out and preserve the nerve functions etc - my voice is croaky but good and no nerve damage apparent so that’s good.

When is your op scheduled and where are you having it done? X

Jo

Sarahjane87
Posted by

Hi jo 

Glad to hear you are home. How are you feeling? Have they said how long to avoid lifting for? 4 and half hours is quite good isn’t it...I react bad to general anaesthetic so hope it’s doesnt knock me off my feet too much. Which hospital was your op at? X 

jto
Posted by

Hey Sarah Jane,

My op was at St George’s in London - I can’t fault them as my treatment has been excellent.  Where are you having your op and when is it scheduled? If you need anymore advice or just a chat then feel free to private message me on here :)

I feel pretty good all things considered - stiff and sore but nurofen doing its job! No lifting things for awhile until my neck heals more - they didn’t give me a time so will just have to see.  It is hard not picking up my 3 month old - my hubby is picking up all the slack!

Hope you’re not worrying too much - am here if you need to chat xx

Jo 

Sarahjane87
Posted by

That’s brilliant it’s only nurofen your needing..ahh it must be so hard not being able to pick up your 3 month old. It will make those cuddles extra special when you can. I am scheduled for July 2nd at Aintree hospital in Liverpool. When are you due your radio iodine? X

jto
Posted by

Yep I can’t wait for the cuddles! So your op isn’t too far away - make sure you take things to keep you occupied in case you’re in for 3 days like me - I had my tablet with loads of films downloaded which kept me busy.  A Vshaped pillow has been really good for supporting my neck so that’s something you might want to get.

Not sure when RAI is going to be - have appt with doc for my follow up next week so assumed it will be talked about then.

Jo x

jto
Posted by

Thanks for the message Chris

- feeling much better now that I’m home and that drain is out!

Jo x

Nigel_Y
Posted by

I know we're all different, I'm not the same person since having full thyroidectomy