Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Does size matter?

CutThumb
Posted by

Hi all, I've had a two part total thyroidectomy over the last couple of months. This was due to a 46mm papillary carcinoma. I've been recommended RAI, and my thinking at the moment is to say yes.

Is the size of the cancer relative to its likelihood to have spread?

I'm a bit snowblind with all of the jargon, and am pretty detail-free on my own situation. I've just seen a recommendation to ask for a surgical report - is that an entitlement or will the consultant need some buttering up?

I'm also in the thick of brain fog, as have only been on thyroxine for a few days. I go from compis mentis to standby mode every hour or so! Anyway, it's nice to have found what looks like a compassionate and honest resource, and a knowledgable bunch of folk.

Where you are, there you are.

Lass
Posted by

Hey there Cutthumb,

As far as I'm aware, the size isn't to do with the likelihood of spread, but more to do with recurrence. So at the moment, the guidelines say anything over 4cm should be treated with RAI just to kill off any remaining cells.

You can ask for the report if you like, but it's written by a doctor, for a doctor. So most folks like you and I will only be confused and worried by the terms and words used. There's not really any benefit to having to report in my own opinion, as it doesn't change anything.

Thyroxine takes 6 to 8 weeks to leave your system, and as you're on it already, your levels won't have been affected yet. So the brain fog you're feeling at the moment is more likely down to the double dose of anaesthetic you've had, as well as a touch of shock from the diagnosis.

Hope that helps,

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters, cannot be trusted with important matters. - Albert Einstein

CutThumb
Posted by

Hi Lass,

Thanks for the reply. 

I had the first half out a couple of months ago and got progressively more 'dense', without having heard of the existence of brain fog, so I'm fairly confident it's related. I didn't find out about the cancer until six weeks after the op, by which time it was noticeable. 

I'm bloody knackered at the mo, which I'm sure doesn't help!

Lass
Posted by

Heya,

What did your thyroid function tests show? As 9 times out of 10, the cancer doesn't actually stop the thyroid from working properly. Most of us here had no thyroid problems - other than the cancer. Lol.

They would normally do a thyroid function test after a hemi-hyroidectomy to see if the half that's left has picked up the slack. There are a number of people living with half a thyroid and no need for thyroxine, and others that need a small boost.

When did you start on the thyroxine?

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters, cannot be trusted with important matters. - Albert Einstein

CutThumb
Posted by

I wasn't told the results prior to the op, only told that they were 'fine' by one doc and 'borderline' by another. I've had hypo symptoms for some years, but this was pretty much poopooed. I didn't have another test after the first hemi.

I started the levi thyroxine two days after the op, so I'm on day five. Just had my stitches out!

Take it easy, Lass.

CT