Thyroid cancer

A place for people affected by thyroid cancer to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

TT on Tuesday. Had a bleed was put in an induced coma for a day.

tommiebabe
Posted by

Had my TT op on Tuesday and unfortunately had a bleed in recovery which resulted in me having to be opened up again in then taken down again. It was difficult because my blood pressure kept spiking and I kept bleeding.  The surgeons were fantastic and saved my life, but I ended up in a drug induced coma for 12 hrs. I do feel I was rushed out of hospital too soon but I am at home being cherished and looked after by my family. The whole experience has left me in a heightened state of anxiety and shock with horrid flashbacks. But today I do feel a bit more calmer,  i think it's because the pain isn't too bad and the 2 lots of aenisthetic are slowly coming out of my system. My family have been through so much that I feel guilty for upsetting them even though it's not my fault.  Today I plan on taking it easy...having a nice shower and enjoying my family making a fuss.  Back to see consultant in 3 weeks. Xx

barbaral
Posted by

Thank goodness it was a TT and not a hemi - or you'd be nervous as hell about having to do it again if the results required a follow up. I bet you're glad it's over and done with.

You've clearly been through quite a trauma but I hope you won't mind if - just to reassure the members who are waiting for there ops - I point out that this is the first time in over 7 years here on the forum that I've heard of something like this happening and I do think it's very rare and others shouldn't expect things to go this way when it's their turn to go under the knife.

Have the docs been able to give you any explanation for why it all went so badly for you?

tommiebabe
Posted by

It was very rare, I think the surgeon said that my blood pressure just kept going up and up which was causing the bleed. Which was why I was put into a drug induced coma. I am at home now and although I feel unwell I am on the mend.  Still very anxious though. 

tommiebabe
Posted by

Can anyone advise me...the doctor started me on 100 micrograms of levothyroxine...on the leaflet it says people over 50 should be on 50 micrograms.. I'm feeling pretty awful with anxiety...is this normal after total thyroidectomy?? God I'm turning into a right wuss...sorry folks!!!!

tigerlilly13
Posted by

Hi

In the  UK and Oz the starting doses are usually between 100 and 150. You should be tested at 6 weeks for FT4 and TSH and your dose adjusted accordingly. Out of curiosity is the leaflet you were given in relation to Thyroid Cancer or a generic one? The aim will be to keep your TSH suppressed. 

Hope this helps. 

X

barbaral
Posted by

I'm going to take a guess that the 'leaflet' referred to might well be the little folded pamphlet inside the box that the pills come in. If that's the case, it's almost certainly referring to people with underactive thryoids rather than people with thyroid cancer who need to be suppressed. 

50 may be a good starting point as a supplement to a poorly functioning thyroid but it's rarely going to be enough for replacement and suppression.

Billy81
Posted by

Hi,

I'm Bill and had thyroid cancer  which resulted in a laryngectomee and TT. I'm on 200mg a day and in great shape 4 years on.    The will be a number of factors determining the dosage your are on including your weight or body mass. So everyone will be a different.   Your right to question everything, and it's reasonable to expect the medical staff involved to explain in simple terms what they are doing and why.  

I wish you a speedy recovery and enjoyable life.

Regards

Bill

tommiebabe
Posted by

Thank you for reply...I feel reassured now.   The leaflet was a generic one. Xx  it's all so new and frightening. Just came out of hospital on Thursday with no information.. I even had to ask for the thyroxine medication before I left!!! Xx

fillibee
Posted by

Wow - it sounds like you have been through a lot.  I am a (nearly!) 50 year old man.  I was started on 150mg thyroxine following my thyroidectomy and I am now on 200mg.  As others have stated, the aim is to suppress - so higher levels for those of us following cancer surgery is quite normal

tommiebabe
Posted by

Thank you for your reply. Feel reassured xx

tommiebabe
Posted by

Hi Bill, thanks for your post very reassuring especially as your so well 4 years down the line.

Regards Stephanie

Billy81
Posted by

Hi Stephanie.  

I’m just fairly new to this at 4 years.   I personally know of many people who had the same treatment as me over 20 years ago and one st 31 years ago.  Your outlook is very bright. 

Regards

Bill

tommiebabe
Posted by

Hi Bill, I'm just beginning to realise that I've got caught up in all the drama of what happened and that it's been less than a week. I'm forgetting that you do get better....And that my out look is indeed bright.. Thanks.

Regards Stephanie

Billy81
Posted by

Hi,

I remember how scared I was leading up to the treatment and for quite some time after.  It's a massive shock when your diagnosed and lots to contemplate.   It's perfectly normal to question what's going on around you, and I would encourage you to ask questions and to understand what the benefits are, and the implications of all of subsequent treatment offered.

You will soon gain confidence in the treatment you have had, and I would wager that you value your future more than ever.   I feel like I've crammed in at least 10 years into the last 4.

Enjoy!