Waiting for biopsy results

Hello all. 

I’m new to this group and have found past posts very informative. In a nutshell, I had Covid in January. I wasn’t poorly with it but immediately after, started with what I thought was laryngitis. Weeks later I was still unwell - I had a strange dead weight feeling on my spine around my bra strap, hot sweats and a hoarse voice. I was sent for an X-ray which was clear. But my GP was concerned about my spine as I had oestrogen positive breast cancer in 2019 which had been successfully treated with mastectomies. An MRI found no malignancies on my spine but I was told that a nodule spotted on my thyroid two years ago (first I’d heard of it) had grown. I had an ultrasound and two biopsies and have been referred to a thyroid consultant to get the results. Sure enough there’s a two inch painless lump clearly visible on the left of my thyroid. I don’t know how I could have missed it! My question is: Has anyone else experience a strange feeling in their back when they swallow? Also has anyone in this forum also had breast cancer? I’ve been going through this all year but at least I now have just 5 days to wait. Second time round waiting for biopsies is no easier so thank you for reading x

• I haven't heard of this - but whereabouts on your spine are you experiencing this strange feeling when you swallow?

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Thanks for getting back to me. It’s a strange congestion/ blockage type feeling just under where the bra strap fastens. It’s what convinced my GP to do scans in the first place. All very odd! 

• That's a very long way from your thyroid. I would be surprised if it's related.

Best wishes

Barbara

• Biopsy results are back and it’s grade 3a. Which I feel is a bit inconclusive with grade 4 definitely being cancer. Removing half the thyroid is recommended and so I’m having the op in September. Given my history with breast cancer I think it’s best. 

• Please forgive me correcting you but others may come along later and be confused. 

Thy4 is not definitely cancer.

Thy5 is.

Thy4 still has a degree of uncertainty.

Not that it helps you either way as you're a 3a - officially one of the most confusing results as you're really caught between a rock and a hard place. 

I think you are doing the right thing. 

Best wishes

Barbara

• Sorry. You’re right his exact words, along with a neat diagram were 

1 definitely not cancer

2 not cancer

4 cancer

5 definitely cancer. He then drew a line next to three and said, ‘’guess where you are’ 

your description is very apt as I really do feel in no mans land. It’s just really difficult going through all this just 2.5 years after breast cancer. 

And the wait continues. 

It is what it is though. Thanks again and apologies if I caused any confusion 

• I think you're going to be just fine. You've survived worse than this. But right now it must feel like a real kick in the teeth.

Best wishes

Barbara