New and seeking input :)

• 23 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hey Wave 

First of all I want to thank you all for creating such a supportive and encouraging environment! I’ve been on this forum so many times already and have found great comfort in reading your stories and advice / support.

I guess a little bit about why I chose to finally take the plunge and post on here instead of just watching from the sidelines! I'm 31 and have recently been diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer, specifically on the right of my isthmus (the centre part of the thyroid).

When I had my most recent Drs appointment, I was told that it had been recommended at my MDT meeting that I either have a total thyroidectomy or partial thyroidectomy (the right side and isthmus removed), but that the choice as to which was up to me.

I’ve chosen to have a total thyroidectomy and am largely confident in my decision - due to where my cancer is, the chances are that they could do a partial thyroidectomy and still need to go back in and remove the rest at a later date anyway, meaning two surgeries and a longer wait.

What’s really been playing on my mind are the risks. This is my first major surgery and while I know they have to share the risks with you, they’ve not stopped going round and round my head on a scary and nerve wracking loop. Not helped by the fact that the risks are apparently doubled if you have a TT.

I would therefore love to hear people’s positive experiences of having a total thyroidectomy, especially if your cancer happened to be located in a similar place to mine!

Also interested to hear from other people who were given an option between total or partial thyroidectomy and if so, which they chose and why.

Thanks so much Slight smile

• That’s so good to hear you’re doing so well and also staying so positive! 

I dread to ask, but why were the stitches “an experience”!? 

I’m doing ok thanks! I’ve just booked in my op (23rd May) so feeling really hopeful and excited to be moving closer to when this may all be over! 

• That made it sound far more dramatic than it actually was See no evil Nothing too bad at all, it just took me a while to get them off because I was nervous about seeing the wound (completely unnecessary in the end as it was fine Relaxed️).

Glad you’re doing okay and happy to hear you’re one step closer to this hopefully all being over Heart️ If you’re happy to share, what did you decide on in the end? 

• Ahh ok!! Ahaha that’s great it looks ok PrayRaised hands I like to think it’ll be a scar to show strength of getting through a difficult period! Muscle 

Of course! I’ve decided to go for the hemi and take the risk that I may have to have surgery twice. The main thing for me was the risk of the breathing problems with the full thyroidectomy, which although is a small risk I just couldn’t get it out of my head. So I’m happy to accept the risk of a second op rather than risk of doing the full and hearing it wasn’t necessary. More time off work I guess if I do need the second op!

• Sorry it’s taken me a while to reply! Disappointed

I feel the same way about my scar! Don’t get me wrong, I get self conscious about it sometimes but then I remember it’s a sign of all I’ve been through and I’m trying to overcome and it makes me smile Blush 

ahh I’m so glad you were able to make a decision that felt right for you and that you’re able to focus on the op now instead of the worry of making the decision Heart️ how are you feeling as things get closer? You’ve absolutely got this!

I have my follow up appointment today so will find out how I’m healing and whether I have to have the RAI treatment / what the next steps are and it’s surprised me how nervous I am Pensive

• So so SO weird that you messaged as I woke up this morning thinking I should message to see how you’re doing!

Totally understandable to feel nervous about today! Really hope and pray it goes ok and even if you need the RI, you’ve got this! You can go through it and come out the other side even stronger Muscle 

I’m equally feeling more nervous as the op gets closer (T-4 days) Grimacing but it’s ok. I know this has to happen. Annoyingly work aren’t being the most supportive but trying not to focus on that too much Hearts

• Great minds think alike Relaxed

Found out Wednesday that I’m going to have a half dose of the RI but that they think they got all of the cancer out during the operation which is such amazing news Heart️ So assume the RI is just as an extra precaution! No date for it yet but hopefully I don’t have to wait too long!

it’s such a weird feeling though because while I was over the moon with the news (it’s all you want to hear when you’re going through this right?) it’s like my brain just doesn’t trust it! I’m still trying to process having thyroid cancer in the first place that trying to process that it might all be gone at the same time is almost too much for my brain? I’m not sure if that makes sense See no evil

Eek, not long now! But honestly the wait is so much tougher than the reality of the whole thing! I was petrified going into my op but it was truly the easiest part of all of this! We are strong, badass humans and I absolutely know you’ll smash this One of my biggest pieces of advice for post op is get a V shaped cushion! I only got mine recently and damn do I wish I’d done it sooner! I’m so sorry work aren’t being better but just do what you can to focus on you and don’t let them rush you back Heart️ I’m 4 weeks post op Monday and I still get so tired some days! You are the most important thing in all this!

I’ll be thinking of you Monday and sending all the positive and healing vibes your way x

• Great minds think alike Relaxed

Found out Wednesday that I’m going to have a half dose of the RI but that they think they got all of the cancer out during the operation which is such amazing news Heart️ So assume the RI is just as an extra precaution! No date for it yet but hopefully I don’t have to wait too long!

it’s such a weird feeling though because while I was over the moon with the news (it’s all you want to hear when you’re going through this right?) it’s like my brain just doesn’t trust it! I’m still trying to process having thyroid cancer in the first place that trying to process that it might all be gone at the same time is almost too much for my brain? I’m not sure if that makes sense See no evil

Eek, not long now! But honestly the wait is so much tougher than the reality of the whole thing! I was petrified going into my op but it was truly the easiest part of all of this! We are strong, badass humans and I absolutely know you’ll smash this. One of my biggest pieces of advice for post op is get a V shaped cushion! I only got mine recently and damn do I wish I’d done it sooner! I’m so sorry work aren’t being better but just do what you can to focus on you and don’t let them rush you back Heart️ I’m 4 weeks post op Monday and I still get so tired some days! You are the most important thing in all this!

I’ll be thinking of you Monday and sending all the positive and healing vibes your way x

• Good luck to you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Mine is for TT early June. Trying to keep my mind as positive as possible. 

• Hi TheSkyIsTheLimit!

I couldn’t agree more with what you said:

it’s such a weird feeling though because while I was over the moon with the news (it’s all you want to hear when you’re going through this right?) it’s like my brain just doesn’t trust it! I’m still trying to process having thyroid cancer in the first place that trying to process that it might all be gone at the same time is almost too much for my brain?”

Rhos is exactly how I am feeling 12 weeks post TT and 2 weeks post RAI.

Stay  positive everyone! Xx