Testicular cancer

Affected by testicular cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Just diagnosed

PaigntonMark
Posted by

Evening! 

So, I've seen my GP, seen the Urologist and had the ultrasound.

Found out during the scan on Monday that it was bad news and would mean surgery. 

I have my pre assessment booked for Tuesday and the Admissions at my local hospital have advised that they have been told to get me in to surgery urgently. I guess I will hear soon. The surgery hasn't been explained to me yet, however I am sure I will find out soon. I am concerned about the recovery time and what I will be able to do post op. 

Anyone able to shed any light on their experiences of the surgery and recovery would be a massive help right now many thanks guys Mark 

MrNev
Posted by

Sorry to have to welcome you here.

The op will be a radical inguinal orchiectomy.  They will make an incision in the groin, sort of low bikini line, and remove the testicle and cord via that.  It’s about an hour op, done as day surgery or at worst one night.  They give you plenty of pain relief during the op so it takes a good while to wear off.  You will walk, if gingerly, out of hospital.  I took the painkillers they gave me for a few days.  You will walk a little easier each day and  can drive again once you can safely do an emergency stop which will probably be around a month.  Follow the instructions on wound care and you will be fine.

Once you know the histology of the tumour and your CT results, we will be able to tell you what your options are likely to be for further treatment or just surveillance.  Hope the op goes well.

PaigntonMark
Posted by

Thanks MrNev, I appreciate the info. While I can't fault the speed things have moved for me, I don't feel I've been fully informed of everything yet but guess when I have my pre assessment i will find out more.

I'm tryin to stay positive but am concerned that since discovering the lump, 2 and a half weeks ago it has changed in size quite a bit and now seems much bigger.

Do you know what the general consensus is regarding a prosthetic? Is it vanity to have one or psychologically am I going to feel .... umm... complete? Equally would it be more hassle than it's worth i.e any potential future issues with the prosthetic?

Sorry if I'm going over things that have already been covered!! 

Many thanks

Mark

MrNev
Posted by

You are in the worst bit at the moment.  There is a huge amount of info to take in, things are still very much up in the air with regard to treatment plans etc and can change quickly.  Sometimes the medical staff will chuck in medical terms and assume you know what they mean and what is implied by their use.  You are probably in shock and things are a bit of a blur. I would say try and take someone with you to your appointments so they can hopefully remember bits you forget and don’t be afraid to ask them to explain things you are not sure about.

Prosthetics are a personal choice.  I didn’t get one and have never missed it.  Yes, slightly lopsided if you look real hard but only my wife gets that close and she knows the score and isn’t worried.  Comfort wise, one is much better, st least in my view.  No nasty moments with ball clash or trouser seams.  Others on here have got them and like them.  It’s not vanity, it is a very personal part of you so if you feel that not having a full set would knock your confidence then don’t feel it is vain to get one inserted. 
preston68
Posted by

Hi Mark

Things do move quickly and I had my orchiectomy on 16 November two days after seeing the urologist. I have since had the CT and bloods and my appointment with the oncologist is next Tuesday.

Regarding the op itself, you will obviously be anxious, but I found it to be pretty straightforward and stress free. I booked into the day surgery at 07.30am and walked out at 4.00pm a little bit lighter! I never experienced any pain; I think the analgesics given at surgery last quite a while.

Regarding post op, I was surprised and a little concerned about the amount of swelling I experienced; not the scrotum so much but the area around the incision. I got this checked out by my GP who assured me it was nothing to worry about, and will subside. Everyone is different of course., so your experience may not be like mine. But there is bound to be some swelling, also a considerable amount of bruising which subsides in a few days post op. My incision took about 10 days to fully stop weeping, but I think that is longer than most. Maybe I tried to do too much too soon. Now 3 weeks post op although there is still slight swelling at the incision site, 
I am fully mobile and driving without any problems. Take advice from the hospital, but I would say don't do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for the first few weeks. Keep an eye on the incision site for any possible infection and see your GP if you have any concerns. 

In summary then; try not to worry - the op sounds worse than it is. Recovery will take a little time, take it easy for the first few days, then slowly get back to your normal routine. I experienced very little pain, but you will probably be given some medication to take home should you need it.

Very best wishes to you

David

PaigntonMark
Posted by

Thank you for your replies.

I'm booked in for the operation at 8am this morning. It's an all day list so I could go down at any time for it but hopefully I'm one of the first just to get it over with. Pretty nervous and will be happy once it's done.

I'll keep you all posted!

Here's to a healthy, happy 2018!

Best wishes

Mark

rivercity1973
Posted by

Thinking of you for today. Try and find out what position you are as I was late afternoon so was allowed a drink at least and a wander round the grounds to take mind off it. A little advice the medication can cause everyone constipation so get a laxative drink tonight trust me you do not want to be putting strain tomorrow..... I know not the best subject but I so wish someone had told me I can promise you. You should be home tonight if you get taken before lunchtime.

Dougie

MrNev
Posted by

Mark

Hopefully you will be all sorted by the time you read this and back home with your feet up in time for final scores.  Best of luck with the op and for good results from the pathology when it comes through.

Another Mark

mascotty02
Posted by

All the best mate,

Not nice and hope you recover quickly 

PaigntonMark
Posted by

Hi all

You'l be pleased to hear all went well. I was 1st on the list for surgery and was back home by 1.30pm.

Absolutely brilliant NHS staff who completely went the extra mile. I think due to my surgery being pushed forward I initially felt that I wasn't really sure of what was going to happen. However I sat down with the surgeon and anaesthetist and both were fantastic and explained everything in detail and left me feeling really informed.

I'm taking things very easy as I'm not the most comfortable and I'm fairly heavily medicated! 

Thank you for all your kind words and your understanding. This is a fantastic platform for making people not feel they are going through this alone! 

All the best 

Mark