Testicular cancer

Affected by testicular cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Strange Ultrasound Results Not Sure What to Think

Nordic4tKnight
Posted by

Went in to get an ultrasound on my right testicle due to feeling something, which turned out to be a small cyst. However they found something on my left testicle but classified it as large ill-defined hypoechoic region. I’m going to have a urology appt scheduled, but I thought most testicular cancer showed up really clear in ultrasound results, not my “indeterminate finding” according to my doc. 

I never noticed any differences with my left testicle. It is smaller, however that is mainly due to Varicocele I’ve had since a kid. Obviously I’m pretty freaked out worried about TC that was basically in stealth mode. 

gregm
Posted by

Hi N4tK,

I think most indeterminate scans are because something is too small to see, or there is a cyst infront of something they can't quite see.

It could be something that has burned itself out, developed, stopped developing and now is scar tissue. If they don't know what it is I think they have two options - remove the testicle and look under a microscope OR surveillance, see if it changes with time.

If they're not sure they can do some other tests - blood tests are somewhat inconclusive but might tip the decision one way or the other; a CT scan to look outside of the testicle to see if there is any evidence that it was TC and it has left traces elsewhere.

At this moment you don't have confirmed TC, but I can understand the worry. If it is TC then these days there are good tand very effective treatments for it.

Greg

Nordic4tKnight
Posted by

Here are the Ultrasound conclusions: 

Within the left testicle there is an ill-defined hypoechoic region. While this may be postinflammatory, a neoplastic lesion is not completely excluded. Recommend consultation with urology and a short interval ultrasound follow-up.

Region is 3.0 x 2.1 x 1.0 cm. I’m scared it’s TC and so large that it has already spread.

One other thing is that about 8ish years ago I had dual inguinal hernia surgery. 

gregm
Posted by

Hi,

Ok, sounds like they are recommending surveillance, with another ultrasound in the not too distant future.

If it was TC and that size, then they'd be pretty sure what it is - they'd see blood supply to it, and know what it was. In the range of the size of things reported here it's not very big. TC has a difficult time breaking out of the testicle, and what matters is how close it is to exit points as much as how big it is. IF it is TC, and IF it has spread then that means it takes more treatment to make you better, but still the 98%+ success rate.

G.

Nordic4tKnight
Posted by

So there is a chance that something that large isn’t TC if they weren’t 100% sure in the ultrasound due to the size? Honestly what else could it be? Could it be related to my Varicocele, which can get pretty inflamed if messed with?

gregm
Posted by

Hi,

I'm not medically trained, and I don't know what they've seen - just its a different acoustic density than things around it. Normally they can spot TC lumps (95% accuracy?), and this is big enough to be seen properly, and doesn't look like live TC to them. Maybe it was and it has burned itself out naturally, I don't know.

Sound like they're going to watch it for a bit, but you might ask for TC blood tests and enquire about a CT scan.

Greg

Nordic4tKnight
Posted by

Update: So first of all I love my urologist. They are just going to do some supervision and a couple of more ultrasounds. He really didn’t seem too concerned about the ultrasound results on my left side. The big reason why is that he said there was no veins or blood flow into the mass on my left side. He literally used video game and movie references related to planetary conquering/colonization to explain how tumors need blood flow to function/grow. 

He even had another urologist look at the ultrasound and both thought supervision with some extra ultrasounds was best. I guess if there is no change in the ultrasounds then I am in the clear. He thinks that what the ultrasound picked up was past trauma to the testicle. I played very competitive soccer most of my life and remember vividly may kicks to my balls that took me out of games. Who knows if that is what it actually is/was, but the fact that there was no veins or blood flow is very encouraging. 

Thanks to all for your support. You have all been great. I’ll continue updating throughout my additional ultrasounds. 

Paul277
Posted by

Thats good to hear. Sounds like you have a careful and thoughtful urologist. I had a testicle needlessly removed 4 years ago and have had big problems mentally and physically since. Afterwards they referred my case to an investigation team at Barts in London who said that in many cases, to prevent falsr positives, its best to monitor the testicle for changes rather than remove it straight away. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case with me but I’m happy someone else hasnt had this experience.

Take care,

Paul