Testicular cancer

Affected by testicular cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Fiancé needs BEP chemo... Help!

kmac89
Posted by

Hi Everyone!

My fiancé has been diagnosed with non seminoma testicular cancer - he had his orchidectomy over Christmas and we got the results of his CT yesterday. Unfortunately it’s spread to lymph nodes and we’ve been told he needs to have 3-day BEP chemo.

Has anyone else had this chemo? How did you feel? How long did it take to recover? 

We have lots of questions as we’re getting married at the beginning of June this year so we’re trying to work out how he’s going to feel and whether we need to postpone the wedding.

Thank you,

K x

shopgirl1
Posted by

Hi my husband had testicular cancer 16 years ago aged 30 it was a total shock we had too small children and did not now what the furture was going to be.  He had his operation and then 2 3day circles of chemo He had booster chemo every 3 weeks he was monitiored for 7 years and was finally given the all clear.  The treatment is much more advanced today than it was 16 years ago but my husband is healthy and happy.  The only thing is that it may affect his fertility.  We were told to read a book by Lance Armstrong the american tour de france cyclist which my husband found very uplifting as his cancer was stage 4 and he made a full recovery.

The chemo did have its side effects but nothing that was long lasting (loss of hair feeling sick weight gain & pins & needles were some of side effects) but he had a strong mental attitude and good family & friends around him which help

From the operation to the last chemo was about 4 months the most difficult time for us was going to the check ups to make sure it had not come back.

I hope this helps 

kmac89
Posted by

Thank you very much - really appreciate your message.

I’m so glad your husband is well.

Thanks for the book recommendation - will have a look today! 

Thank you!

Kwaka
Posted by

Hi Kmac89,

Sorry to hear you and your Fiancé are going through all this, especially before your wedding too (congrats btw!)

I started my 3 day BEP (3 cycles) at the beginning of April and finished in the middle of June. I was back at work (light duties) at the beginning of October with a full head of hair again and felt pretty much 90%. 

It's pretty much an individual thing time-scale wise but the links below may help.....

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1013964

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../128537

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1020796

Take care,

Adam
Weeclootie
Posted by

My Husband had 2 cycles of BEP chemo. He had surgery in July. Started chemo August/September and finished October. Given clear in December.

It did take a lot out of him but we were expecting a baby too so was a bit of a distraction.

He lost his hair inbetween the 2 cycles, had a metallic taste in his mouth and ringing in his ear but has all passed. That was 3 years ago all clear since.

It’s tough but a necessary evil. Hope he gets through it ok.

Hayley.

kmac89
Posted by

Hi Adam!

Thank you so much for this - this is so useful and the links back to your initial blogs have been so helpful.

Thank you very much - just got to try and decide about the wedding now!

Thanks again,

Kirsty 

kmac89
Posted by

Hi Hayley,

Thank you very much for your message, really helpful to hear of other experiences.

Glad he’s all clear.

Thanks so much again,

Kirsty x

gregm
Posted by

Hi Kmac89,

I had 3 cycles of BEP 6 years ago now - my blog is here, start at bottom of page 2 and work your way.

Thinking of you both,

Greg

kmac89
Posted by

Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for your message and sending us the link to your blog. It’s so reassuring to hear and read about someone who’s been through it too. 

Your blog has made us feel more positive about it! My fiancé is only 28 and very fit and healthy (except all this!) so we hope he manages the chemo well.

Thanks so much again, we really appreciate it.

Kirsty 

patso84
Posted by

Hi, kmac89! I am glad you had lots of people who have texted on here. I believe everything will be fine, just follow doctors advise and go through the treatment needed and everything will be fine. Just to tell you, as I do not see some advise about it...as you are getting married soon- has your partner been asked to do some sperm banking? I missed that part in between treatments and I feel so sorry I did not do it. My advise is if you have a chance to store even more if yoi can do, as I assume you do not have any babies yet? We have one child, 8-year old boy, but he keeps asking every now and again if we can have a baby...that breaks my heart but I believe it is not impossible, there is a chance. During Chemo tell your partner to try to eat as his appetite will be like 0, it is individual for everyone, but its likely to happen. Eating little amount of food but often could be of any help. Drinking water is essential, he needs to drink too. Bear in mind there could be case of constipation as well- I have a bad memories with this. But if any case of this, turn to his nurses or doctors straight away and somw medication will help him right away. And do not forget about the sperm banking...everything else will be fine in a few months.

All the best and looking forward to the good news!

Plamen

kmac89
Posted by

Hi Plamen,

Thank you so much for your reply and message. Really appreciate it! Yes luckily they’ve mentioned sperm banking!

Thanks again,

Kirsty  
Onze8019
Posted by

Hi Kirsty

I did 4 x bep in the last few months. My case was unusual in that my primary was a big tumour in my abdomen, hence needing 4 lots.

I’m 37 , 6ft 2, 14st and fairly fit & strong.

I had most of the non critical side effects and it was the 4th round that was hardest to get over , after the 3rd round it’s rough for a week and then you  build up. 

I finish chemo mid October and by December I was walking 50k a week.

You have to have patience at the start of recovery as likelihood is fatigue will be high but it passes.

I recommend walking consistently to get fitness back , we have a dog so he was a great help with that!

I had a great appetite, because of the steroids ! (I’ve always enjoyed food though!)

I hope this gives you some comparison , the main thing is to give him your lover and understanding and the mental side of it can be tough too, but you bounce back! My wife has been amazing and I can’t wait to spoil her and the kids with a nice holiday.

Wishing you guys all the best and let me know if you have any questions!

Onze

Onze8019
Posted by

Please excuse a couple of typos!

kmac89
Posted by

Hi Onze,

That’s so helpful - thank you so so much! Really grateful!

That’s really reassuring to know that you were walking so far within a couple of months.

Thanks so much again,

Kirsty 

Onze8019
Posted by

My pleasure Kirsty.

Having just got the all clear this week  and having made it through in one piece I’m really happy to share my experience and provide any support I can.

We are all here to support each other !

Much love 

Onze