NK TCell Non hodgkins Lymphoma Nasal Type

• 31 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Good evening, 

My brother has recently been diagnosed with NK TCell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Nasal Type. It has been very distressing for him and our family. The doctors have said it is very rare which has made us feel very anxious. He has stage 4 but is yet to start treatment. I have been googling and the prognosis does not look good. I feel sick with worry, I am just wondering if anyone else has this specific type and how soon they received treatment from the point of diagnosis? Thanks in advance x

• Now, this will sound extremely counter-intuitive, but viewed from a certain perspective, cancer can become a blessing. As I approached retirement, In realized that life had been slipping through my fingers. The cancer diagnosis forced me to confront my mortality, the value of each day and the power of love and friendship. Had I remained in so-called good health, I would not have this perspective, would not have gone the places, done the things or met the people I have - and I see that as a blessing.  

Grant you, my wife of 40  years (as of yesterday) was with me every minute and the cost to her has been enormous. I believe that at times, she had much more difficulty dealing with it than I. due to family history, I expected it. She did not. As well, my good old fashioned Catholic faith prepared me for this and has sustained me through it. It likewise sounds daft when I state that if this were 2008, I would chose to go through it again.

It is all a matter of perspective.    

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Hi and welcome to this corner of the Online Community.

I am pleased to hear that CHOP has worked well for you and has put you into remission.

As you embark on the rather unusual rollercoaster that Stem Cell Transplant can take you on, so you may want to join our dedicated Stem Cell Transplant group.

I wish I had found the group before and during my two Allo (donor) SCTs June 2014 and October 2015. It’s a rather long story that you can see in my profile.

The SCT journey is rather unique treatment and is often full of twists and turns but talking with others who have walked the walk can help you negotiate the treatment.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Shooks, sorry for a late reply, I don’t get on line as much as I did, my wife had NK TCell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Nasal Type and the treatment she received was second to non, plus the advice which we gained from these forums made life a lot easier .

One piece of advice from Highlander, was write everything down and write down questions that you think of later or need explained in more detail  , it worked so well being able to got back over the questions and get things we did not understand cleared up.

it’s not the easiest cancer to treat as other have said , but every year treatments are getting ever more successful. 

good luck to your Brother and your self in these troubling times.

lee

• Hi I do hope you are doing ok during these strange times.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yes ,. I been wondering how you been , one of the reasons I nip back on once in a while. keep well and keep safe

lee

• We are doing good Lee, just in the past few weeks we have been going past the front garden for the first time in 16 weeks and even now, I have been told to remain careful, all the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike, thank you for the welcome and more so for the link to the SCT pamphlet in one of your other posts.

My stem cells have been collected, I was admitted into hospital for the transplant mid March but covid-19 took over everyone's lives and everyone on the ward was discharged. Anyway it can go ahead now.

I'm not bothered about the treatment itself, it's the side effects that I'm concerned about but perhaps I'm being naive. I did get some infections during chemo which were dibilitating and don't want the same experience.

My mate's partner has just been diagnosed with leukemia so I'm now supporting him. Early days for her yet but he has some serious caring ahead of him, we musn't ever forget the carers.

You are a very knowledgeable person Mike, I like your posts.

Be well

Paul

• Hi Paul , after 21+ years, like others, you tend to become very knowledgable about your condition and the various treatments and it’s good to ‘payback’ once you get out the other end.

It’s best not to over think side effects as you can’t control most of these and for some, it does not happen. Your main aim is to control what is going on between your ears, win that and you are well down the road.

Remember that Stem Cell Transplant is a rather unique treatment and talking with others who have walked the walk can help so do make use of the Stem Cell Transplant Group as we have lots of experience in the group. 

Have you been told what conditioning (chemo) they are going to use to take down your immune system?.... there are a number but again there will be someone in the SCT Group who has had it.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

So true Mike, its BEAM chemo, I have joined the SCT group so will ask there.

• Are you still  active on the forum so I could ask some questions ?