Stomach cancer

A support group for anyone affected by stomach cancer, including adenocarcinoma and GISTs (gastrointestinal stromal tumours) to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Starting EOX chemotherapy

Tinners57
Posted by

Hi looking for any advise and tips on getting through the EOX chemotherapy cycles. My husband starts his first three cycles in two weeks really want to support him in any way I can. Thanking you in advance. Good luck to all on this horrendous journey. 

Debbie x
FrightenedWife
Posted by

Hi Debbie 

We are day 15 of cycle 1.. It has been okay :) managed to do site visits and cycling too mainly on the turbo trainer.

We had some great support and advice on here.. Top tip is keeping body at a constant temperature hands, head and feet critical 

X

MsG
Posted by

Hi Debbie

Everyone is different but my husband was very tired week 1 after the intravenous chemotherapy and he said it felt like he had been given a bout of the flu. Week 2 much better and feeling more like himself and Week 3 completely normal and back to work.

He hated going back for intravenous chemo as he knew he would be back to square one.

Is he having a PICC line in or similar? My husband had 2 cycles through his veins and couldn’t stand it any longer so had a PICC line for the remaining cycles, never looked back and wish he had it done earlier although it does need maintaining. His veins are now really bad to get bloods from the trauma they went through Cycles 1-2.

Good anti sickness tablets just in case.

Good diarrhoea tablets just in case.

Good constipation tablets just in case.

He may get tingling in his hands and feet from the cold. Make sure you have mats on cold surfaces. No ice cold water or ice cream. Foods to be room temperature at least. Hats, scarves and gloves a must in this weather.

He may not understand all his meds during the cycle so I used to lay them out for him each day so he didn’t have to worry and I knew he was taking the right ones :-)

Try and get to a dentist . Often you aren't allowed dental work when on treatment due to infection risk so it's good to get everything checked our before hand

buy yourself a baby in ear thermometer so if he ever feels unwell you know if his temp is high he needs urgent IV antibiotics

Anyone who wants to visit  whilst on treatment must get asked if they are carrying a cold bug before they turn up. Don't put him under unnecessary risk of catching anything

Keep had sanitizer bottled everywhere 

Get children's toothpaste and Toothbrush. The mouth can become really sensitive and adult brushes can be too harsh

Get some mints and ginger crystals in case he does feel sick 

Get some corsodyl daily mouthwash and get him to dilute ad use it frequently (my husband has had 4 fillings since chemo and none for years before. Think this could be chemo related).

Plan good things in his good weeks so you can enjoy his good days, normally the week before his next treatment.

You will get through this xxx

MsG
Posted by

I have just read your bio and it seems you both have been through more than most :-(

Sending much love and hugs to you xxx

Tinners57
Posted by

Thank you so much for taking time to reply to me, I am very grateful. It is such a worrying time. So glad to hear your husband is doing well and his treatment was a success.

Debbie x

Tinners57
Posted by

Thank you for your reply. Hope the remainder of your treatment goes well 

Debbie x

shob
Posted by

Hi Debbie

I'm with you on this journey in 2 weeks. My sis in law is awaiting chemo for stage 4 stomach cancer. They are going to do OX treatment and no E. Not sure why and is a question I need to ask at next appt.

Did your husband get offered the E as standard? What stage is his cancer?

Really hope he responds and gets through it. Best of health to him

Shobx

Tinners57
Posted by

Hi Shob thank you for your reply. My hubby had his stomach removed January 2016 it was a T2 tumour, they thought they had got rid of all the cancer and managed to leave him with a small pouch , no chemo was offered as apparently they don’t do chemo for that stage. All has been well until last month when he had s scan, which was related to his advanced prostate cancer and something suspicious showed up on his 4th rib  and after a biopsy was performed we were told it was a secondary from his stomach cancer and all they could do was offer him palliative chemo. It has been a nightmare week, not knowing what to do. We have appointments all next week so will hopefully get some kind of support through this , I hope. Hope all goes well with your sister in laws treatment it’s such a difficult time. Is she having surgery? 

Debbie x

Tinners57
Posted by

Sorry it was 2017 when he had his stomach removed.

Debbie x

shob
Posted by

Hi Debbie

So sorry to hear more cancer found. No my sis in law could not have her stomach removed as too advance.  The only option i spalliative care for her but she will only start chemo if she is well enough in 2 weeks but she is worsening so I dont know if that is an option aymore.

We'll find out more at an appt this week.

Keep in youch

Shobx

shob
Posted by

Hi Debbie

Just wondered what a PIcc line is as my sis in law is in alo of pain when they take blood from her veins and I'm wondering when the chemo starts she'll be in more pain. Is a substitute to find a vein and where is it inserted

Thanks

Shob

MsG
Posted by

Hi Shob

Just thought I would let you know what a PICC line is. To get it correct, I have copied it from Macmillan website. It made a massive difference to my husband as had no pain  when having his chemo and can be used to take blood easily too.

A PICC line is a long, thin, flexible tube called a catheter. It is used to give you chemotherapy and other medicines. A doctor or nurse puts it into a vein above the bend of your elbow. It can stay in place until your treatment is over.

You will be given a local anaesthetic to numb the area before the PICC line is put in. Your doctor or nurse will gently thread the line along the vein in your arm until it’s in a large vein in your chest. You will have an x-ray to check it’s in the correct position.

The PICC line is held in place by a dressing, which is usually changed every week. The cap at the end of the line is replaced each week to reduce the risk of infection. The line is flushed regularly to prevent it becoming blocked.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/treating/chemotherapy/being-treated-with-chemotherapy/picc-lines.html

Xx

shob
Posted by

Thanks Debbie

Thats really helpful

Shobxx

SDH
Posted by

Hi Shob,

My dad had a port fitted - a port in his upper chest through which they deliver chemo - he says it was the best thing he did - it could be worth asking about that? It's not for everyone but it is very convenient.

SDH x

TP1
Posted by

Hello Shob

I had a portacath inserted just below my right shoulder bone. It’s like a plug with a tube connected to the vein in the neck that’s embedded under the skin. So, no need to look for a vein to administer the chemo drug infusions. Very distressing for those with hard to find veins. 

I had this contraption for close to 9 months - the period of my chemo treatment and surgery. And it worked very well for me. You may wish to explore this option with your doctors. 

Regards

Tzy Peng