Basal cell

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 21 subscribers
I have had a lesion on my face below my eye socket for over a year. I had also a bad accident fracturing C5 and also with facial injuries. 14 stitches and bruising on all of the face. After injury healing... I was aware that the lesion was still there and getting bigger. My doctor finally referred me to consultant... I had to wait four months on the appointment. He has confirmed I need surgery, nowhere this it will be a further four months.
Lesion is getting worse, inflamed, hot, and horrible. a raw ulcer on the face most days. Concerned and worried over the delay In surgery. Also ..I don't know what to put on my skin as it is very fragile. Can anyone advise?
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Sister S

Very sorry to read of this as either one of the problems is enough to cope with! I can understand too the feelings about the long delays in appointments and treatment for your BCC as I have just been through the same [ 12 weeks for each so not quite as long as you]

I can't advise you what to put on the sore lesion and in your shoes I would make an appointment with my GP/Practice Nurse and ask for it to be asap.

Meanwhile I would possibly get advice from Boots pharmacists [ one who has extra training] as to what you might put on the sore,  and how.

Best of luck!

Dorothy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    Thank you so much for your response. With so much pressure on Doctors I feel reluctant to call. I am in the caring role with my husband who has bowel and liver cancer and my mum who has Alzheimer's. So a pretty busy life at the moment. I did speak to a local pharmists frankly no guidance I didn't already get on google. No one seems to be able to tell he how to treat the ulcer. I try to keep it dry but it us itchy and hot... Patience running out. I trust you are recovering and doing better...
  • FormerMember

Hello again Sister S

Ah I see myself in you just a bit and I do  feel sorry you are under extra caring burdens however you must also look after yourself. I was chasing hundreds of miles doing very difficult journeys of 12 h to help care for my younger sis who had a brain tumor sec to lung ca they discovered then her intense RT and chemo and all the awful side effects she has; supporting her partner and daughter. At the opp end of the country, tho nearer to me,  my other younger sis had her 3rd stroke [ she's a type 1 diabetic]. In all this i just kept ignoring this mini volcano on the tip of my nose...despite it bleeding etc for months!!! So I was already  months late GOING to my GP then the two 12 week waits i mentioned. And of course it got bigger, even though it isn't invasive of other body parts it means I have had a much bigger removal and skin graft op than if I'd gone earlier.

Although I  know you have had your diagnosis and are waiting for the op you have a sore which needs attention and the doctors are there for YOU as much as anyone else and even if busy YOUR health is part of their remit so just call and say you need help asap!!DO get in touch with you PNurse and tell the Receptionist  you're waiting for surgery but the lesion is bleeding /sore etc and you should get seen soon!!

Yeh I know what you mean about lack of guidance as I had zilch post op and having physio for a hand op they did simultaneously [ targets have to be met so two for one on NHS now! ] which is a pain in more ways than one but the silver lining is that she knows about plastic surgery recovery as worked there so am getting info form her!

Thanks I am recovering slowly  and finding the appearance of the graft on my nose difficult but ...beginning to  get a bit of  make up on it when I go out.

Look after yourSELF!

Best wishes

Dorothy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sister S,

Very sorry to read of your situation which seems so much for one person to have to deal with, and which you have struggled with so bravely.

I don’t have any experience of Basal Cell, but may I suggest you visit cancerbuddiesnetwork.org? There you will find people who have empathy, who will listen to you, and who can offer you sound advice from the wealth of experience they have. They certainly helped me.

Always here if you want to talk.

With Every Good Wish,

LuckyBoy.

• FormerMember
    As you say Dorothy... Months late....promise I will make a call and see if anything can ve done sooner. Your words ave really helped.
  • FormerMember
    Thank you... I will certainly investigate. Appreciate your kind response.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sister S,

I had surgery to remove a BCC  from under my eye in December.  I know it's very worrying, but please try not to panic too much.  The doctors are really good and will talk you through everything. I didn't feel a thing during the surgery.

I was also worried about the scarring as it was on my face but even now just a couple of months on, mine is almost completely healed.

Definitely get some advice on what to put on it while it's inflamed though.

Hope everything goes well and here if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Update.
    Surgery now planned for Monday. No direction to date regarding ulcerated lesion.
    In an effort to keep clean and sterile I apply a daily dry dressing.
    When you have shingles you can't cope with water hitting your body... This feels just the same.
    Roll on Monday........
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    I had my surgery on Monday. Today I have removed the main dressings. Fifteen stitches.
    I can't say I am surprised I knew all along this was not great.
    I feel angry that this was not dealt with sooner.
    I was too polite and didn't want to be pushy.
    My advice to anyone on a waiting list is get back to your doctor and try to fast track your surgery.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Saturday...five days after surgery.
    I have slept after the surgery from exhaustion and relief after all the waiting.
    Healing is ongoing. Stitches due to be removed next Thursday. I could only get appointment with surgery nurse to remove stitches as doctor appointments fully booked up until after Easter. I pray I get no infection at this stage and that the surgery has removed all of the lesion and margin.