Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Recovery from forehead flap nose reconstruction

Peneloperae
Posted by

Hello Shelly - so glad to hear you had the surgery and now you are on the healing side of things!  Black eyes are so uncomfortable but they will be gone soon.  You made it through and you are a courageous woman - my thoughts are with you through the healing. 

Please let us know how you are doing.

Warm wishes, Penelope :) xoxox

Chernasalflap
Posted by

I had two cheek flap surgeries and have one surgery left and  then some procedures where I’m awake. They’re rebuilding the right side of my nose that was torn off in a strange vicious dog attack and I tried hard to avoid skin cancer all this time after seeing the small removals my relatives went through, especially my great aunt with the major forehead flap surgery.... so I bonded and met with a Moh’s surgery patient maybe because weee like twins with similar developing scars to our face on the cheek so I thought he’d be going to the sixth floor, but he was from the seventh floor where they treat cancer and thought he’d be going to the sixth eventually for reconstructive surgery or to improve the scar, but he said no, but I think I’m around many Mohs surgery patients from the 7th floor originally now. 

I am in fear that I’ll have this tickle to my nose underneath my flap and the nerves will never grow so I can finally scratch it. I noticed I had no visible white heads for two months and notice the sebaceous glands coming back in as the next surgery gets closer. My nose feels overdressed and hot unlike the left breathing easy light feeling side of my face so I’m hoping to get sweat glands. I’ve started exercising more to help it develop better and although it’s been over month month since surgery, my nose flap felt sore in the morning and I’m encouraged to massage the area. They’ll be doing more sculpting next so part of my nose literally looks like attached sculpting putty laid on top of the bit remaining part of my nostril. Will the tickle go away eventually? I had TN or PN this year that just started shocking the right side of my face this year maybe because of B12 and the shocking seemed to subside, but is coming back so I’m adhering from meds that may be messing up B12 metabolism. Any nerve problems or problems getting the area colored off like the rest of the face after many months or one year? Problems with the nose not being straight again or the septum not straight and retention you didn’t have before or bumps. I read after my surgery that the forehead surgery in a study was more functional and asthetically pleasing overall to the patients than the cheek flap surgery and I’m trying to convince my other doctor that I had a straight nose with no remtention and a straighter septum with a slight upturn that changed after the first surgery when they turned my nose to the right to attach to the cheek skin graft, so I’m kind of looking up strangers and loved ones noses wanting my septum straighter like them or a nostril and hoping this new bump on the side from tension will smooth out after the graft that seemed to thicken 50% after surgery making the nose more crooked again and veering to the right.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

Wow, you do seem to be going through it!

Excuse me if I'm wrong but you might be in the wrong place to discuss the surgery you're having. Macmillan's online community is for people who have cancer, where they can speak to others in the same position, and in the case of this particular forum skin cancer. I couldn't see from your message what sort of skin cancer you had. Apologies in advance if I've misread your post.

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

2ndfiddle
Posted by

I’ve just spent most of the afternoon reading all the posts from everyone here about their forehead flap surgeries for cancer on their nose. I must tell you that it is incredibly helpful to be able to read about what y’all have been through. So thank you all for posting. 

That said, I hope there are still people posting/reading here. It looks like the last post was in May. 

I had a lesion on my scalp last fall. The PA said it was an SK, no big deal. When it didn’t heal and started bleeding, he agreed to do a biopsy. Turned out it was SCC, so I had my first Mohs surgery in November. It was not very big and was closed with regular sutures.

Around the the same time I noticed a tiny spot on the tip of my nose that would scab, then fall off, then scab again. So I insisted on a biopsy for that, and it turned out to be BCC. My dermatologist had to take 5 layers of my nose, but I’m cancer-free now. He will be doing the repair on Monday morning (it’s saturday night now), so I’m getting pretty nervous. He said he was surprised at how invasive this one was, but it was more wide than deep.

Im 65 and female, married, and my hubby and I live in a big house with our daughter and her family. Her kids are 4, 6 and 9, so I’m very concerned about freaking them out after surgery. My doctor said I’ll be all bandaged, but what have been others’ experiences with young children?

Also, when will I be able to shower/wash my hair? Wash my face? I keep thinking of questions that I didn’t ask the nurses.

I really hope this site is still active. I haven’t found another one anywhere. 

2ndfiddle 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the skin cancer online forum

I'm glad to hear that reading all the posts on here has given you a lot of help. As you've probably already discovered there are lots of people on here who have had BCCs removed from their nose. Hopefully one or two will be along to tell you about their experiences soon.

I realise that your operation is tomorrow so you might not have had replies before then. Hopefully the nurse will be able to advise you on how to look after your wound and when you can shower and wash your hair again.

You could also start a new discussion asking this question as probably the earlier posters on this thread will no longer be on here. Thankfully, BCCs are very easily treatable and rarely require any follow up so most people leave the forum once they're on the road to recovery.

Best wishes for tomorrow and pop back and let us know how you get on.

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

2ndfiddle
Posted by

Hi Latchbrook. Thanks for your reply. I’ll come back after surgery and see if anyone else has posted. 

2ndfiddle
Posted by

Surgery went well yesterday. I saw the doc today and his tech changed the dressings and cleaned off a lot of dried blood. He will probably do part 2 at the end of the month. So now I’m just taking it easy and trying to stay ahead of the pain. 

Hope others will will chime in before too long.

Starbank
Posted by

I had my BCC removed from my nose almost 3wks ago but my surgeon wants me to wait before deciding on my best option, ie; flap or graft, is this normal?