Sebaceous naevus with a basal cell carcinoma

• 7 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I’ve had a small patch on the back of my head since birth. Just before the Coronavirus outbreak  It was diagnosed as a sebaceous neavus with a Basel Cell Carcinoma growing with in it.Apparently it will have to be removed by a plastic surgeon. They will cut a flap in my scalp remove the growth and sow things up. I’m not too concerned about the cancer because I was told it was localised and probably won’t impact on my health. I am rather reluctant to have half my head shaved and have a flap cut into my scalp though. In the light of others on this site who have rather more to worry about  (I know this first hand because my young daughter-in-law is suffering terribly at the end of her four year diagnosis of terminal breast cancer)  I’m embarrassed to ask if any member has had this procedure done and if they have any advice. 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community and the skin cancer group in particular.

There's no need to feel embarrassed for asking about having a flap cut into your scalp to remove the basal cell carcinoma (BCC). No matter what type of cancer anyone else has, this one is impacting on you so ask anything you want.

I don't have personal experience with this type of procedure but wanted to take the opportunity of welcoming you to the group. I'm 'tagging'  into my reply to you as they had skin flap surgery to their head about 3 months ago. Hopefully, they'll be willing to share their experience with you.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I'm sorry to see that no one who'd had this procedure done felt able to tell you how they got on. Unfortunately, once people have had their operations they don't tend to stay in the group so it can be difficult to get responses.

Anyway, how are you doing? Have you got a date for the op yet or, have you had it?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I had a smaller procedure done last week. The consultant said waiting lists had got longer because of the nhs concentrating on the Coronavirus. He felt It couldn’t wait. He did warn me that I might have to have the flap if the results showed that he hadn’t managed to get it all but he thought it was worth doing it there and then. We’ll both know after the results come back. Which should be in the next week or so. The procedure it’s self wasn’t painful at all, I’ve had worse at the dentist. It’s the days after. Even then it’s more uncomfortable and unsightly than anything. Thanks for asking. 

• That's good news that you were able to have your op sooner than expected , even if it wasn't quite the same as you were expecting.

Hopefully when the biopsy results come back you won't need anything further doing Fingers crossed

Let me know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I was wondering how you are and if you've had the results of your biopsy back yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there, no I heard nothing yet. I’m not worried though. If they thought it hadn’t all been removed I’m sure I’d have heard something by now. I expect none urgent letters are a bit behind because they are  catching up after concentrating on Coronavirus results. Everyone I show it to say it looks better now than before. I can’t see it because it’s too far at the back of my head. I’m supposed to wear a hat but honestly I really look awful in a hat. I do remember if I’m out for longer than a few hours. Otherwise I keep forgetting. The consultant was really insistent that I must wear one, especially in the early days. I’ll let you know if or when I get the result. Thanks for asking. 

• Yes, I always wear a hat when I'm outside between April and October in this country. I hadn't been a hat wearer before my melanoma diagnosis but don't think twice about wearing one now. In fact, I've got so used to it that I feel underdressed if I don't have one on!

x

Community Champion Badge