Bcc

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Really low and stressed I have had a marking non face for two years now and dr kept brushing it off saying it’s nothing ! They finally referred me to see someone and dermatologist said they think it’s bcc and have prescribed a cream but I’m so worried as I have had it so long if I can die from it and if it’s travelled as I have had it so long and small amount of cases it can travel can it not? So feel let down by drs not seeing it for what it is and now worried what will happen as they are seeing me in ten weeks and seeing what cream has done anyone got advice 

• Hi  and welcome back to the online community as I see you were last here nearly 4 years ago when you were worried that you had actinic keratoses. I had one of those removed by cryotherapy about a year ago. Did it turn out to be actinic keratoses and did you have any treatment?

I'm sorry to see you back again and this time with a possible BCC (basal cell carcinoma). The link I've created will take you to BAD's (British Association of Dermatologists) information on this type of skin cancer where you'll see it says that "BCCs rarely spread to other parts of the body. Therefore, although it is a type of skin cancer it is almost never a danger to life." Hopefully this will reassure you, although I do understand how worrying being given a skin cancer diagnosis is.

It is quite common for people to have BCCs for a long time before treatment is given. This is often because the person themselves doesn't realise what it is. However, once successfully treated you don't normally need any further follow-ups.

Which type of cream, imiquimod (also known by it's trade name of Aldara) or 5-FU (trade name Efudix), have you been prescribed? There are several people in the group who are on the former and I'm sure they'll help you with any questions you might have about it's use and share their experiences with it.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi

How are you getting on with the cream you've been prescribed to remove your BCC?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

It’s sore and think a bit maybe infected but chemist has messed up by giving me two creams to use when it was meant to be one still terrified 

• FormerMember

Was prescribed Aldara and efudix but dermatologist put or on the prescription but chemist told me I have to use both creams a hour apart 

• FormerMember

The ak worry I had before was the same area I have bcc but the doctor kept telling me it is nothing and sent me away and didn’t refer me so I have had this years now Sob

• Hi

Please don't be terrified about having been diagnosed with a BCC. If you read the information from BAD that I linked you to in my previous reply you'll see that BCCs rarely spread to other parts of the body and are, therefore, almost never a danger to life no matter how long you've had them. 

If you think the area that you're applying the cream to has become infected then do get in touch with your team at the hospital for advice. You may also need to speak to them to ask which of the creams you should be applying or to find out if the pharmacist was right that you should be using both of them.

x

Community Champion Badge