How will results be delivered?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi everyone. Has anyone here had an excisional biopsy, for a bcc or similar. Done at a private hospital. How long did you wait for results and how were they delivered to you? Thanks so much in advance.

• Hi

Waiting for results is probably one of the hardest parts of any diagnosis. Each hospital has it's own protocol for advising results and the length of time it takes for the results to come back very much depends on how busy the pathology labs are in your area. You're best bet is to phone your consultant's secretary to ask these questions as, although she won't be able to tell you your results, she should be able to give you an idea how quickly they're currently taking and how the consultant will tell you.

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Latchbrook.  Thanks for replying...it’s good to talk to someone who is going/gone through this. I hope this finds you well.

The consultant told me it would be two weeks and that they would contact me. Today(wed) is exactly two weeks but I guess it’s possible the labs in Glasgow could be busy..I travelled down from the highlands,

I think if I haven’t heard by fri morning I will give his secretary a call...

Will let you know how I get on..and sending best wishes to you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi again Latchbrook...just read your story..that’s great that three years after your diagnosis everything is ok...

Thats the underlying anxiety that I and probably others have.. the fear that even if this one is ok that it could recur.  As they say..keep calm and carry onBlush

• Yes, I'm determined to do all I practically can not to get another melanoma. I always thought that I was immune, having brown hair and eyes and tanning easily, but how wrong can you be!

Now I'm very careful in the sun and I can let you have the sun safe tips I was given in you'd like them. I'm just about to go out but will be back in a couple of hours.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember

Oh yes thanks I would like the sun safe tips, just when you get some spare time..

nohurry.    I am usually pretty  good at using sunscreen etc when on hol...however I did spend 18 years living in Australia from age 22 to 40..I remember I wouldn’t wear sunglasses in the glare.  The bcc appeared in the corner of my eye and nose(just the bit where you tend to miss sunscreen)

• FormerMember

Oh yes thanks I would like the sun safe tips, just when you get some spare time..

nohurry.    I am usually pretty  good at using sunscreen etc when on hol...however I did spend 18 years living in Australia from age 22 to 40..I remember I wouldn’t wear sunglasses in the glare.  The bcc appeared in the corner of my eye and nose(just the bit where you tend to miss sunscreen)

• Here is what I was advised:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen every couple of hours or immediately after swimming
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed with melanoma was the hardest as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun with a book. However, it's surprising how quickly you adapt and I now have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

I leave a hat permanently in the car so if I forget to take one with me I know I'll have one. Leaving a tube of sunscreen in the glove compartment is a good idea too. It's not about not going outside at all but just about being sun safe from now on. 

You do need to be vigilant as for all of us having had one skin cancer means we're more at risk than the general population of getting another. However, you now know what to look for so checking your skin once a month would be a good habit to get into.

I hope this helps Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thanks for that!   What do you do from Nov to March in the uk..I mean do you just go out without sunscreen/ sunglasses at this time?

Just before this happened we had been looking at booking a caribean cruise..but not so sure now!  I think I saw something online about being able to purchase sun safe clothing?Nowifeel I want to get a thorough skin check at regular intervals as I have other little blemishes/ marks on my face and need reassurance about them..is that what you do? Thanks again!

• When I'm in the UK during those months then I don't put sunscreen on if I'm only going to be outside for a short while, say around an hour, and it's not sunny. The same goes for wearing a hat. However, I do still keep the rest of me covered, although that's probably because it's cold rather than for any other reason!

You can buy clothing that is UV protected but it can be expensive. I decided to just buy close weave long sleeved tops and trousers rather than clothing that is UV protected but that's just my personal choice.

Because I had melanoma I'm checked by a consultant dermatologist every 3 months for 3 years and then 6 monthly for a further 2 years. In between times I check my skin once a month. As I have lots of moles I have taken photos of my body in sections, ie upper left arm, lower right leg, etc and then use these to compare my skin now with how it looked 3 years ago. That way I can see any new mole that appears and check the existing ones to make sure they haven't changed.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Hi Latchbrook. Just an update...phoned my consultants secretary today...to ask when I could expect my test results.  She says they are currently taking at least three weeks, due to a national shortage of pathologists!

She saysif there is any concern then the consultant will phoneme, otherwise I will receive a letter.    Maybe this info would be helpful to anyone else waiting...