Disappearing BCC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 23 subscribers

I was diagnosed with a nodular BCC on my neck in August and am currently awaiting surgery to get it removed and have biopsies on a couple of other areas of skin the dermatologist was concerned about. I had noticed it some months before but had to wait for an appointment.  At the time it was diagnosed it was fairly large and easy to see, with many people commenting that I needed to get it checked out. Now, 3 months on from diagnosis, it has changed completely and is hardly visible. The nodule has gone and all that remains is a flat pink area that looks like scar tissue. I wondered if anybody else has had a similar experience. I mentioned it to a dermatologist last month at a clinic appointment but he was not interested and advised me that it was for someone else to worry about, hence my post on this forum to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've recently been diagnosed with a BCC. I haven't experienced the same thing as you but I do recall someone here mentioning that they had a BCC that seemed to disappear. Hopefully, they'll read your post and reply but, in the meantime, you could use the search bar in the group to see if you can find previous posts that mention disappearing BCCs. 

Do you have a date for it's removal yet?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi latchbrook  thank you for your response, I’ll definitely follow your suggestion and try searching previous entries to see if I can find anything similar. Sadly I’m still waiting for a date for surgery, there seems to be quite a backlog here. It’s 27 weeks since I was referred and not looking like I’m going to get a date anytime soon which is fairly soul destroying. The wait seems to take over and become all you can think about. It’ll be great when I finally get confirmation that I’m booked in. 

• Having a BCC is a bit of a double-edged sword as they're slow growing and very rarely spread to other parts of the body, which is good, but because of this they're not seen as urgent to remove. However, that doesn't stop you worrying about the upcoming surgery.

You might like to take a look at this thread in the chat group where we're discussing hobbies that we do to keep our mind of treatment, etc.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi latchbrook, I followed your advice and searched previous entries regarding disappearing BCCs and found some information which has been really useful. It helps to know that I’m not the first person to experience this and that no one is going to think I’m wasting their time when I finally turn up for treatment and the original BCC has changed completely. 
    Thanks also for the link regarding hobbies, I’ll definitely have a look at that and I’ve started recording my journey on my profile too x

• I'm glad that you were able to find the previous entries and that reading them has helped. That's the great thing about this community, there's nearly always someone who has had the same experience as you in the past and it can be very comforting to read about someone else's experiences.

Thanks also for completing your profile as it will help others who follow on.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, when I was at the dermatologist about another BCC they spotted this red mark on my foot. I have had it a few years but it comes and goes - most visible in the summer, but fades to almost nothing in the winter. Apparently it was another BCC so have had that one treated as well.,

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, when I was at the dermatologist about another BCC they spotted this red mark on my foot. I have had it a few years but it comes and goes - most visible in the summer, but fades to almost nothing in the winter. Apparently it was another BCC so have had that one treated as well. So it can change appearance. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Pontymel, thanks for confirming that the appearance can change. I was worried that by the time I get the appointment through for it’s removal they’ll wonder what I’m doing there because it’s changed so much.